It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cooking Kangaroo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
i thought i would share this recipe, i got it from the uncle of a girlfriend many years ago.

he'd moved to Oz on the old ten pound tickets sometime in the 60's i think and then returned to blighty many years later after quite possibly bothering one too many sheep while pretending to work on farms and such.

when he returned he got this recipe published in the local express and star news paper in sunny wolverhampton

this is cooked on an open fire, possibly in a billycan (it's a long time since i read waltzing matilda, forgive me if i get the lingo all wrong)

ok, so you start by boiling a billy full of water, with a little salt.

add some diced roo meat and a couple of good handfulls of dried beans.

let it bubble away for a good hour or so before adding a handful of rice, some pepper, and herbs if you are lucky enough to have them. i believe he used to add some old holborn hand rolling tobacco and a couple of tins of VB. then add a brick.

let it bubble away for another hour or so, while enjoying a tinnie and having a smoke of what's left over.

when you can no longer smell the tobacco in the billie, pour it all down the dunnie, pick the brick out and just eat that.

enjoy

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Whats a billy?

Whats a dunnie?

Awww poor kangaroo

edit on 11-3-2013 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElOmen
Whats a billy?

Whats a dunnie?

Awww poor kangaroo

1) it a big tin can recycled into a cooking pot

2) it's the toilet

3) apparantly the brick has superior taste

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

I've been to Australia many, MANY times and I love Kangaroo and Emu.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

the originator of the recipe loved sheep too, but still preferred the taste of the brick to kangaroo.

however, there is a curry house in sunny wolverhampton that will do you a kangaroo jalfrezi (rattlesnake too) - apparantly it's very good but i suspect they were just serving up long pig.

news.bbc.co.uk...

A statement of facts, read out to the court, said: "Upon his arrival the officer observed a dead male lying on a sofa at the rear of the main kitchen.

"Sat opposite to him was Mr Singh who was preparing food, making kebabs."

edit on 11-3-2013 by skalla because: spelling

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
if anyone want to try the recipe and is unsure of what VB is..

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
The only part of the kangaroo I find half decent is the Big Fat Tail.
Not very tasty but very healthy.

NUTRITIONAL PROPERTIES OF KANGAROO MEAT

S&F

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Roo meat is great, like all red meat it depends on how you cook it.
I buy the minced meat from the supermarket and use it for burger patties.

I do think a roo stew would taste very strong though. I'd probably dip the meat in
spiced flour and fry it up first, before adding to the billy to try and reduce the flavor a bit.
Wombats taste like pork.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
thanks for the insider knowledge guys - i was being honest about the kangaroo jalfrezi (a rather hot curry) btw - friends of mine tried it while i avoided it and they said it was great- though the rattlesnake was superior by all accounts.

is this the right time to say i dont eat meat, and that the originator of the recipe was a hopeless alcoholic?
edit on 11-3-2013 by skalla because: typo...

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Pedro4077

awesome hunting vid by the way, i've made a few spear chuckers/atlatls, though i think they are usually called woomera's in oz?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Woomera is the best known name for it. But it has many other names among other tribes.

Australian Aboriginal Tribes

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

I'm Australian and I'm almost 100% sure this should be moved to the jokes forum.

On topic though- you can buy some beautiful marinated Kangaroo steaks from any supermarket and grill them up nicely.

You need a 'billy can' or tobacco. Just a BBQ or stove top- preferably gas cooking.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I actually prefer it cook like a steak, bit of salt and a splash of soy and rub some honey on it. I cook it a tad slower than steak, but even though it can get a tad chewy, I like that. It makes you eat slower, so you can have smaller serves.

Oh, by the way... Stupid tobacco in this country, even rolling tobacco, have now added the most stupid thing... Fire Retardant!!?! Some stupid regulation so that they go out by themselves. Problem is, I used to enjoy smoking, at my own slow pace to get joy out of it. A fag should last me 10 minutes, but when they added the fire retardant unless I kept puffing away at a constant pace to make a fag last 5 minutes I would have to constantly re-light it.

That got me so angry, that I used it as a motivator to quit smoking. I've stopped counting, but I think I've been smoke free for 8 months or so now!

Mmm roo! We just don't eat enough of it to be honest. Once you get over the cute-hoppity thing, you see bouncing steakeroo!

(edit, forgot my point about tobacco, I even distract myself. Point was, try and source 'chop-chop' from the markets. Why we can't sell it pure with no chemical crud added is beyond me! I want my legal poisons pure... errr, you all know what I mean)

edit on 11-3-2013 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
So he came down to Aus to meet up with a hot sheep, and they rejected him because of his atrocious cooking skills, so he left to go back to the lesser quality and far less attractive pommy sheilas, eh?

Typical..

the problem with roo meat is all the flavour is in the smell and the smell is putrid. You gotta cook it realllyy slow and that's just to not end up with leather. Dogs love it tho.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Speaking of leather (not really)

Ever had Joey jerky before?

mmmm

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

I'd flag this thread if I were a right-wing meat-loving tool of the powers that be who laugh at my fervent idealogy as I slave away making their trinkets and spend my free time barbequing up god's creatures, or if I just ate free-range 'roo with a side order of Tasmainian Devil. Have you ever cooked a Tas Devil? The fur melts off and you can use that as a seasoning, and the wombat stew served cold with it leaves an aftertaste of some kind of large bat.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

indeed! however it would appear that i got away with it

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

fire retardant in baccy is awesomely special, though one of the many things that makes a yummy roll-up way better than a filter cig is that you can just stick it in the ash try and carry on gassing to a chum.....and it will go out after a minute or so.
if you are a touch pissed-up and forget you stuck a filter in the ashtray then you may as well just throw your pack of fags away rather than light a new one. roll ups ftmfw

enjoy your steakeroos old bean

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   

to be fair he was from West Bromwich and bald - we all know that ewes prefer their mounts to be a touch on the hirsuit side. dont take it the wrong way but he was ginger too (well, his eyebrows were), though i suspect his horrible accent and the fact he never wined and dined them first was more to blame for the rejections

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Speaking of leather (not really)

Ever had Joey jerky before?

mmmm

doesn't their hoppity behaviour and world reknowned boxing skills make it impossible to get a good grip? or do they relax after a while and take up this pose, allowing one to get a good rhythm going?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join