It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VA Says it Won't Follow New York Gun Law

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
When we as a collective join in on standing up for our right with the vets...

There will be a ton of dead gun grabbing agents... GURANDAMNTEE IT

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I was glad to see a document from the VA stating that they will not report gun owners unless they are deemed to be completly incompitent. That means they must not be able to handle their own finances and/or hygene. I even remember some talk about veterans being exempt from the assault weapons ban.(probably get shot down), but it was nice to see someone somewhere is fighting for our vets.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieJesus
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Well, good for Virginia....

Okay... yeah.... I dun goofed there!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

A clear case of where federal law trumps a conflicting state law.

From Huffington Post

VA Spokesman Mark Ballesteros said Monday that federal protections of veterans' treatment records take precedence. The agency's lawyers had been studying the New York statute, which passed in January.

"Federal laws safeguarding the confidentiality of veterans' treatment records do not authorize VA mental-health professionals to comply with this New York State law," Ballesteros said in a prepared statement. "Under the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution, federal laws take precedence over conflicting state and local laws."

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

Please tell me why this administration is trying to bully federal agencies into going against federal law. Do you think for a minute that NY isn't getting its direction from this White House? If that isn't the case then why hasn't NY pushed this issue over the last 237 years??

This shows the absolute arrogance of this administration IMO.

What say you?

edit on 13-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Please tell me why this administration is trying to bully federal agencies into going against federal law. Do you think for a minute that NY isn't getting its direction from this White House? If that isn't the case then why hasn't NY pushed this issue over the last 237 years??

This shows the absolute arrogance of this administration IMO.

What say you?

I don't think Cuomo and Bloomberg are getting direction from the White House. Do you think they were directed to introduce the large soda ban too? No, I think they are perfectly capable of coming up with these ideas all by themselves. Luckily there are checks in place (federal law in your op) to keep these people from overstepping their authority.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I don't think Cuomo and Bloomberg are getting direction from the White House. Do you think they were directed to introduce the large soda ban too? No, I think they are perfectly capable of coming up with these ideas all by themselves.

Good point. Nanny Bloomberg and Fuehrer Cuomo are quite the dynamic duo. I still think this push to demonize gun owners is coming from DC. At the least they draw inspiration and feel emboldened.

Luckily there are checks in place (federal law in your op) to keep these people from overstepping their authority.
In this case its a good thing. Sadly, the outrage isn't coming from DC or the justice dept but from a few people within the VA (likely veterans themselves).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join