It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VA Says it Won't Follow New York Gun Law

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Veterans Administration Says it Won’t Follow New York Gun Law

The federal Department of Veterans Affairs says its mental health professionals won't comply with a new gun law in New York that requires them to report the names of patients they believe likely to hurt themselves or others.

The reporting provision is set to take effect Saturday.

Several veterans and their advocates say it would deter many from seeking counseling and medications to deal with post-traumatic stress disorder or other psychological issues. Veterans fear their rights would be taken away.

Under the law pushed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo, the information would be used to determine whether someone should give up a gun license or weapon.

VA spokesman Mark Ballesteros says federal laws protecting veterans' treatment records take precedence.
link

I’m proud to see the VA stand up to this ridiculous assault against US veterans and the 2nd amendment. I’m one of many military veterans on ATS who has repeatedly said the military won’t support and/or enforce martial law or any type of gun grab ordered by this administration. I think this recent stand by the VA goes a long way in proving my point.

It’s been widely reported that Dr. Jim Garrow, 2009 Nobel Peace Prize nominee and well-respected activist, has claimed a former high ranking military officer informed him that Obama has a new litmus test for military leaders.

If this is true, and I tend to believe it is based on the source, then it speaks volumes about the direction this gun debate was headed. It appears these gun grabbers were taking inventory and the numbers were pretty alarming to them.

Consider the estimated number of households with a gun in America (@50 million households) and the number of total guns in America (estimated 270 million) coupled with the fact that there are roughly 21.5 million military veterans walking the streets. I don’t think these numbers inspire a whole lot of confidence in anyone considering martial law as a means of grabbing guns and seizing control.

Have no fear, 2nd amendment defenders. The tides are turning in this most recent gun debate. The people are showing their disapproval in large numbers and I think I see a light at the end of this dark tyrannical tunnel.

My prediction – Worst case scenario, we will see some form of high capacity magazine ban and nothing else.

edit on 11-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
so mentally unstable people get to keep their guns, and obama is planning on sending the military against us, and he is dumb enough to tell his commanders

seems legit

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

so mentally unstable people get to keep their guns
Mentally unstable? Don’t you see how this provision can be abused? Veterans have been targeted as “potential domestic terrorists” by this administration. Now they’re basically asking the VA to label them all nuts.

Most veterans don’t have PTSD but Obama and his goons want us all labeled so he can justify stripping us of our rights. Does that seem reasonable? Are you fearful of veterans? Maybe you’ve had a bit too much to think.

and obama is planning on sending the military against us, and he is dumb enough to tell his commanders

seems legit

Yup!

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
A step in the right direction..

SNF

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

It is absolutely a step in the right direction.

The VA’s stand against what is undoubtedly an attempt to use Chicago strong arm politics is just the latest. The top thread on ATS right now is another attempt at the same tactic.

Colorado Sheriff Says Dems Are Using Salary Threats To Pressure Sheriffs To Support Gun Control Bill

This is the MO of this administration; it’s all they know. They attempt to strong arm people and beat their adversaries into submission. They’re quickly figuring out that committing to a martial law declaration and a national gun grab is writing checks their arse can’t cash…they simply don’t have the muscle.

This ain't Chicago, boys!

edit on 11-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I had not seen that before. I notice its from January has there been any updates to that?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I had not seen that before. I notice its from January has there been any updates to that?

I haven’t seen much but, then again, he wasn’t giving up his source. I also wouldn't expect military brass to come forward at this point because they are guarding their careers.

There is an interview where he explains the situation in depth.

I know the trolls will immediately try and throw everything about Dr. Garrow out because he was on the AJ show but, keep in mind, this is a man nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize at the same time Obama was.

Anybody who wants to discredit this man is going to have to dig a little deeper than a fallacious argument about Alex Jones!

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Deffinitely a step in the right direction. I just hope they continue to hold this stance even when pressured by the federal government in the form of similar laws at a federal level. I personally will not talk to VA doctors anymore due to the lack of trust I have developed via this presidential administration. I talked with a group of five other veterans the other night and they are all staying away from VA treatment due to the fact that they are worried about losing rights. I'm glad the VA did something positive for a change though. Now only if they can get through their pile of claims and get the remaining veterans who are waiting for the assistance and care that they desperately need.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Deffinitely a step in the right direction. I just hope they continue to hold this stance even when pressured by the federal government in the form of similar laws at a federal level. I personally will not talk to VA doctors anymore due to the lack of trust I have developed via this presidential administration. I talked with a group of five other veterans the other night and they are all staying away from VA treatment due to the fact that they are worried about losing rights. I'm glad the VA did something positive for a change though. Now only if they can get through their pile of claims and get the remaining veterans who are waiting for the assistance and care that they desperately need.

It’s very sad the way our vets are treated these days, though with the declaration by Napolitano et al that our returning vets are “potential domestic terrorists” I think we hit a new low.

I remember the stories my dad told me about being spat upon by John Kerry-types after his return from multiple tours in Vietnam. I was fortunate to have been warmly welcomed by Bill Clinton in 96’ after deployment to Bosnia and by many awesome Texans at DFW airport in 2003 after Iraq. I’ve even experienced a shipboard visit from the Sec. of Defense once (and he didn’t ask us to disarm).

Brother, I’ll take even the smallest positive step as good sign these days.

Kudos to the VA….at least today!

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I love it when the Government bickers amongst itself.

It means we still have a few honest folk out there.

Then again, I could be wrong and they are just looking for some personnal bennies.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Well, let's just wait and see if that guy doesn't get replaced at the VA.

He had to have made Sen. Feinstein angry and I can't imagine that Obama is pleased with him.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I have a feeling this will come up in the new federal gun legislation at some point. I bet they will try to sneak it in there under the radar. Although I also believe there are too many eyes watching this debate to sneak stuff in but you never know. This will get them thinking that's for sure.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
reply to post by butcherguy

I have a feeling this will come up in the new federal gun legislation at some point. I bet they will try to sneak it in there under the radar. Although I also believe there are too many eyes watching this debate to sneak stuff in but you never know. This will get them thinking that's for sure.
I can hear Feinstein pulling a Nancy Pelosi already.
We need to pass this bill.....
So we can see what's in it.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

To go along with what the admin is asking the VA to do . . . here is a letter/blog from a lawyer working with veterans who have already been stripped of their 2nd amendment rights. Granted it does say there is a review process, but it looks like the VA is doing it to some vets already and not in total defiance. Granted the OP and this info are both a couple months old . . .

Veterans receiving letters prohibiting possesion/sale/transfer of arms and ammo

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I had to stop going to the VA, because I simply cannot trust them. They put me on fistfuls of medications that nearly ruined my life and kept sending me to two different shrinks twice a week that were clearly not interested in anything but keeping me loaded up with mind-altering psych drugs. Now, with doctors becoming DHS snitches and labeling all vets as mentally unstable in order to disarm us, that's the last straw. There is no trust left.

Fortunately I was able to get off those drugs by myself without too many complications, told them I left the state indefinitely, and never went back. The down side is now I have to live without any medical recourse. Don't have private insurance, can't afford to get any, so I go day to day hoping I never need a doctor.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well, good for Virginia....

They seem to understand that this "Medical Qualifier" is just a short stroll from branding dissenting voices, journalists, and protesters as "Psychologically Unsound" or whatever, and rounding them up for the FEMA death camps...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Well, good for Virginia....

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I honestly don't care one way or the other about the VA and NY gun laws.

However, why anyone would accept "Dr" Jim Garrow's claim is beyond me, aside from the unlikely occurrence of a former high-ranking US military person confiding in some Canadian "humanitarian".

Jim Garrow's doctoral degree is from the North Carolina College of Theology, a non-accredited school in North Carolina, and is honorary, apparently granted for his work in China. How does one go about getting an honorary doctorate from this college? Well, $3770 and 10-15 years of ministry will get you a Doctor of Biblical Studies (as of July 2011). If you want a Ph.D. an additional $6520 and 20 years of ministry will get you that. No actual studies required and no refunds given. Not much of an honour. David's Daily Diversions: Defrauding the Church

Garrow claims to have been nominated for a Nobel in 2009. The problem with that is that all nominations are kept secret for 50 years after they are submitted. Garrow claims he learned he was nominated from the man who supposedly nominated him, the president of a Chinese university whose granddaughter was rescued by Garrow's Pink Pagoda organization. But he can't reveal the identity of this man because giving the man's name, the university he heads, or the province he's from would supposedly put the man in danger. So a claim with NOTHING to actually back it up.

In 2010, Garrow added The Order of Canada nominee to his resume. This is not as impressive as it sounds. Any Canadian may nominate any Canadian, person or group, for the Order of Canada. I could nominate a bum I found in some back alley. The Advisory Council for the Order of Canada receives 700-800 nominations every year, of which roughly 150 are recommended to the Governor-General for the honour.

Garrow was fined $3000 and had his Ontario teaching certificate suspended for 9 months for professional misconduct in 2002, for abandoning his employment at a high school before the end of the school year and making derogatory comments to students.

He was fined $2850 by Transport Canada for operating a flying school with an uninsured and unregistered plane. He apparently deceived the two instructors he had hired about the lack of insurance and registration.

On Garrow's Pink Pagoda website he welcomed Kenneth Xue as the organization's legal advisor in China. However Kenneth Xue apparently never agreed to this, having only met Garrow once through Xue's wife and the subject of Pink Pagoda was never raised.

The life of Guelph’s Jim Garrow: He’s garnered wide interest, praise and criticism for his Pink Pagoda child rescue operation

I would not trust this man based on the above.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Thank you VA, I did not enjoy how they do things but I am now a full supporter

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by erwalker

Holy crap! Well, if what you report is true, "Dr" Garrow certainly isn't a reliable source. Having said that, the main topic of the thread doesn't rely on his credibility. He has nothing to do with the Veterans Administration.

Thanks for the info.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join