It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detecting Alien Signals

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I know I've read SETI was talking about building optical recievers to see if maybe Aliens use lasers to communicate but never really saw anything major come out of that yet.

OSETI.
www.boqueteguide.com...

Lasers make a lot of sense.
www.coseti.org...

edit on 3/11/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The speed of thought is the best communication platform....

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Pretty quick I guess. But the range ain't so great.

edit on 3/11/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That's a matter of opinion, Phage

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Aliens are all ready in our solar system we need to figure out what tech they are using for communication and intercept it. I pretty sure its not radio.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tachyeon
Aliens are all ready in our solar system we need to figure out what tech they are using for communication and intercept it. I pretty sure its not radio.

Just drop them an email. Or add a few extra numbers onto a phone number, I don't see why its that difficult.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Subspace ch O4.tX900
Thats what they use....

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

"The ansible is a machine from science fiction, that name comes from Ursula Le Guin but the idea has been used for a while.

It's not theoretical, it's fictional. Such a device would violate causality. Theoretically, information cannot be transmitted faster than the speed of light."

Granted Phage, Ursula Le Guin's Ansible does negate our causality laws but they are Aliens, they must have some pritty advanced physics to get here in the first place. Or if they are eternal then they have been pondering the finer points of mathematics for a good while.

How do you think Aliens would communicate over the vast distance in question?
edit on 12-3-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
Ursula Le Guin's Ansible does negate our causality laws but they are Aliens, they must have some pritty advanced physics...

They're not our causality laws. They are the Universe's causality laws. Physics isn't something someone comes up with to impose order on the universe. Physics is simply a way of explaining what we observe in the universe. Over time, more advanced physics more accurately explains what we observe, but the actual observations do not change.

For example:

In 1638, Galileo posited that all objects fall at a uniform rate due to gravity.
That same year, a guy fell off a 10-foot ladder and broke his arm.

In 1687, Isaac Newton wrote that gravity is a force between two objects that is directly proportional to the sum of the two masses, and inversely proportional to square of the distance between their centers of mass. This explained how celestial bodies can orbit each other, and correctly predicted that objects on other worlds will fall at different rates.

In 1916, Albert Einstein redefined gravity as a bending of space-time around massive objects. This accurately explained anomalies in Mercury's orbit identified in the previous century, and correctly predicted that we could observe light bending around massive objects.

Einstein correctly predicted and explains such things as relativistic time dilation, the invariance of the speed of light in vacuum etc. that have been confirmed in countless experiments. That doesn't mean that Relativity will not someday be superseded by a more accurate & all-encompassing theory, but whatever takes its place must take into account and explain time dilation, the invariance of the speed of light in vacuum and each and every other facet of Relativity. These things don't just go away, any more than people stop breaking their arms when the fall off 10-foot ladders.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

Huh, interesting. I have one (or a million) question...

If we assume for the sake of argument that 'aliens' from another universe or dimension are trying to communicate with us and if they actually decide to pay us a visit... do you really think they will be bound by our Universe Laws when they get into our universe? Theory has it that different universes exist and that different laws of physics might/would apply in different universes.

For example, In their universe (call it U2*), Newton's Laws may not apply. Or E =MC2 is invalid. Have we any conceptual understanding or prepared response for what happens when a trans-dimensional or multi-universal traveler from U2* arrives? Are they bound by our laws? Or are they still bound by their own laws? How would we recognize such an event?

Crazy thoughts, I know...
edit on 12-3-2013 by Blister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

"They're not our causality laws. They are the Universe's causality laws. Physics isn't something someone comes up with to impose order on the universe. Physics is simply a way of explaining what we observe in the universe. Over time, more advanced physics more accurately explains what we observe, but the actual observations do not change."

Yes they are our laws simply because we are part of the Universe. Im well aware of what physics is and the definition of the word. Also the fact that physics applys to the universe as a whole and not just us Humans.

I will simply add our observations are based upon our perception, we as Humans are fallible and so must sometimes inaccurately perceive or misinterpret the universe around us.

Who is to say what can occur at the quantum level. Do our phisical laws not break down when we try and apply them to said level? Im sure in 100 or 1000 years time(If we are still here) science will have proven or disproven many of our current theories regarding the physical universe we seem to inhabit.

We are participating in a thread entitled "Detecting Alien Signals". Its ATS im just speculating after all.

edit on 12-3-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Still early to verify their experimental data but Chinese Scientists are claiming that they have measured the transfer or information (state) at 30,000 times faster than light (or the max of their measuring equipment). - Edit to add I'm talking about Quantum Entanglement ...oops.

www.extremetech.com... ight

(
A team of Chinese physicists Have clocked the speed of spooky action at a distance - the seemingly instantaneous quantum entangled particles interacting Between - at more than four orders of magnitude faster than light. Their equipment does not allow for methodology and exact speed year, orders of magnitude purpose oven puts the face at around 3 trillion meters per second.

Spooky action at a distance was a term coined by Einstein to describe how entangled quantum particles Seem to interact instantaneously with Each Other, over Any Distance, breaking the speed of light and relativity Malthus. As of our current understanding of quantum mechanics, though, it is possible to send data using quantum entanglement, preserving the theory of relativity. A lot of work is done in this area Being, though, and some physicists believe That faster-than-light communication might be possible, with some clever manipulation of entangled particles.

Now, thanks to Chinese physicists thesis - the same ones who broke the record distance quantum teleportation last year - we know That spooky action at a distance lower bound HAS orders of magnitude of four faster than light, or around 3 trillion meters per second. We say "at least," Because the physicists do not rule out spooky Action That Actually is instantaneous - Their purpose testing equipment and methodology does not simply allow 'em to get any more accurate.)

Very early days in verifying what and how they did this, but very interesting and exciting.
edit on 12-3-2013 by current93 because: just to add its about Quantum Entanglement

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by current93

I definitely believe we're in the realm of not being able to trust the equipment being capable here...No doubt, unraveling quantum entanglement will be the springboard for all kinds of technologies.

Response to another poster

Are you really sure it's a good idea to even try??
(that is a serious question)

Yes, I do. Here's why. If we are to assume that an alien race has the tech to traverse interstellar distances within a reasonable time, then they'd most likely be peaceful. I'm sure you're wondering why.

Ok, think about us. Why have we fought wars in the past? One reason....control of resources. We may cloak it in all kinds of other reasons to muddy the water or get support, but the REAL reason for war is resources.

An interstellar race has no need for resources. Anything they want, metals, elements, water, etc. is theirs for the free taking from any number of lifeless sources. So, they have no incentive to war.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Unless they see us as a threat in the far future. We war alot. The space fairing life out there may stop violent races from progressing. Guess it would be up to them to decide if we constitute a violent race or not.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
In terms of communications I would say the Human Race is not even on the cosmic eqvivalent of broadband yet. or for you mobile users, barely on 3G! I suspect ET uses other forms of communication we have not thought about yet. Prot in KPAX caught a beam of light. What if a real life ET used light as a form of travel and communication? We would not have the foggiest idea a signal had been sent out. What if ET communicates using telepathy? Then the Universe would be very quiet for a reason!!

Or perhaps like many of us now anaologue communciations is no longer used, for example we watch tv in the digital freeview band. And no longer using just an ariel.

Something to think about I think!

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

telepathic-seems to be best no matter Planetary location for its doubted when questioned or observed first and then debunked and forgotten possible intentionally. Sort of like inspector gadgets messages that would explode after message sent

my 1 cents

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
The speed of thought is the best communication platform....

possibly transportation as well once a location or zone is fully verified by all subjective data when cross referenced with objective data. [color=cyan] AND YOU REMEMBER WHO YOU objectively ARE W/O BEING TOLD OR MISGUIDED to think your something.. LESS
as to make you feel weak or not from the same CREATOR as those misguiding the. Why would you need to do that unless a hidden FEAR is present, but not acknowledged for that would mean?

you think when in the phases of life AND death within EXISTENCE especially if its not where you wanted to Ascend to for not passing classes presented... PREVIOUSLY. aupceed

edit on 3/20/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join