It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Sunday Assembly goes worldwide, the future is bright for non-believers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
so a religion is being created out of atheist beliefs, with Sunday gatherings and all. this is the stupidest thing ive ever heard of.

Nope, to me, your comment is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Lack of faith in gods is not a religion, it is a social gathering of likeminded rational thinking people.

to celebrate a lack of faith in gods on a certain day of the week in a certain place does make it a religion. if you are a true atheist, you live with no form of organized celebration for any belief,

you live life everyday and know that ya live and you die one day. and know that there is know is no normal life, there is just life, ya live it.

and further more if these guys really care about being atheist so much, and need to pick out a time and place to celebrate it, the athiest thing to do is to set random times that are best for everybody and do it at local pubs. and even though not every athiest drinks they can always order water or juice

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
In my opinion, it sounds to me like this was just created out of the pure dislike for religion. Like a "nananana boo boo we can gather on Sunday's too!" Perhaps it's there to try to make a statement against religion, like it will "hurt" churchgoers or something. Haha. Quite childish IMO with JUST a hint of resentment toward religion.

Edit: Some atheists just need to calm down and stop worrying about what others believe.

edit on 11-3-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This movement makes no sense to me, but can see it starting in England, as there is a particular brand of zealotry to that country's Atheists.

As an Atheist myself, I take a lot of caution to the modern movements led by the writings of Dawkins, Hitchens, and Harris. They promote absolutism in the highest sense and now their followers are meeting weekly? Don't get me wrong. Philosophically, they are spot on and their criticisms of religion, especially fundamentalists, are completely valid. However, they don't stop there. They continue until they become as zealous as those they denounce.

There is very much the notion in their writings that those that don't see the fact of the supernatural fallacy are inferior, intellectually, and this clouds their views. In fact, they become overly hostile, at times, and excessively dismissive. When their arguments should be based solely on evidence. I certainly don't want Atheism to take the superiority route, as that only leads to philosophical absolutism.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

I understand that, as I also understand why some religious people feel the need to attend Church - something which many Atheists ridicule them for.
You fail to see the similarities between the two - the ferocity and passion of some Atheists can at times outstrip the fervour of even the most ardent Theist.

Atheism is becoming entrenched in it's own form of dogmatic creed and is even beginning to mimic organised religion and their practices and their intolerances.
Being Agnostic I find it both hilarious and bewildering.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

hey, i've no issue with atheists having scheduled meetings and such, it's just that despite your description of what they may do, personally i fail to see the point.
i dont see much religious zealotry in the uk and most christians i know (for example) are very good at keeping such things to themselves in social settings. if they do start to go on about it (as any "defined" interest group can, see vegetarians, non smokers, politics lovers etc etc) then they can easily be convinced that "now is not the time" or "stop blathering on about that" etc etc.
there are heaps of social settings and groups where one can practice any of the things that you give as examples of likely activities, and i think it's a shame that atheists (who only have 1 thing in common after all) might feel the need to separate themselves from other humans to do this stuff. i'm not bothered by it, i just fail to see the point, i may even see it as negative when my somewhat cloudy bonce has finished processing it.

i guess i dont see the need to use atheism as a defining category, unless one completing the census/was bullied into filling it out (delete as appropriate)

just for ref, i'm not religious or an atheist, i'm just skalla and i almost like other humans when i can be bothered

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

You know what's funny about your statement? I don't spend time in faith....

I already told you I don't go to church or any of that crap, it is a profitable (business) place and I don't like it.....

YOU are going to spend more time in "FAITH" than me......And I won't be the one crying to be taken into heaven when you are wrong......What if I am wrong? Oh yeah, nothing then......So be it

You appear to believe in the existence of an unprovable mystical entity...that stinks of faith to me, but whatever.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Just like to understand some aspects of atheism. With all the different charities out there,like the Red Cross,Salvation Army..do you choose to not donate because they invoke God or Lord?

How about a local charity set up for a child with cancer in your area. Do you donate or not for fear the family might thank the Lord?
Maybe you can set up your own charities and exclude those who believe

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

but without any unproven wild claims of magic and mystery. Everybody likes to be inspired through interesting talks, and most of us like to sing songs in a social setting while enjoying the added benefits of a social group with shared views on life.

Life without magic and mystery feels dead. Like a purely materialistic dead end.

Read the following quote, reach inside and tell me it does not resonate at some level with you.

Soon the child's clear eye is clouded over by ideas and opinions, preconceptions and abstractions. Simple free being becomes encrusted with the burdensome armor of the ego. Not until years later does an instinct come that a vital sense of mystery has been withdrawn. The sun glints through the pines, and the heart is pierced in a moment of beauty and strange pain, like a memory of paradise. After that day, we become seekers.

If it does not you must be dead inside.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

You will be going to a building talking about organized religion, or non religion......That stinks of faith to me.....Faith in nothing is still faith buddy!

My faith is in the right place.....Should rethink your priorities

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
So, what's next, an anarchist government?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Cool sounds interesting. Just a place to get together without having to listen to fairy tales. I can see this spreading to America. I would check it out.

The religious folk seem to feel threatened by this and maybe they should. Religious institutions are probably craping their pants right now over this. I bet within the next 50 years this institution gains more members than Christianity. You will not have to worry about your kids being molested by priests then them hiding behind the church anymore.

It is about time sanity returned to the world and this is a good step in doing so.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

Cool sounds interesting. Just a place to get together without having to listen to fairy tales. I can see this spreading to America. I would check it out.

The religious folk seem to feel threatened by this and maybe they should. Religious institutions are probably craping their pants right now over this. I bet within the next 50 years this institution gains more members than Christianity. You will not have to worry about your kids being molested by priests then them hiding behind the church anymore.

It is about time sanity returned to the world and this is a good step in doing so.

Oooooo, oooooo,oooooo I will take that bet......What's the payout?

Will you meet me and someone can hold the money for our wager? I called it first I will take that action......Bring it

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
"Leave me alone in my non-belief and I'll leave you alone in your belief"

Yep, sounds lovely to be part of a group who can share rational thoughts in an environment free from religion.
So far I haven't read anything which can suggest anything 'bad' about non-believers hooking up in a non-believing social environment. Perhaps if y'all keep looking hard enough you'll find some similarity with religion which we can all agree is unsavoury to society.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
Just like to understand some aspects of atheism. With all the different charities out there,like the Red Cross,Salvation Army..do you choose to not donate because they invoke God or Lord?

I know the question was not meant for me, but I would like to answer.

To me, the reason behind a good action is irrelevant, the action itself is what matters. If someone needs help and they get it, does it matter if they got it from a religion-related organisation or from an atheist?

But, from what I have seen, my version of atheism is not that popular.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
damn you guys make atheism sound really close to a religion...

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

so a religion is being created out of atheist beliefs, with Sunday gatherings and all. this is the stupidest thing ive ever heard of.

What's so stupid about it. Christians do it most Sunday. Most sitting their with their cherry picked version of the bible. Most go for the community and social aspect, not for the religious aspect that many probably question anyway.

So atheists want a community and social event on a Sunday. Big deal.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Why is it that atheist believe they are being rational? just because you have not experienced a spiritual event does not make you more rational. It just means you missed something in life or are unable to receive it because of your current life path.

I find it highly irrational to believe it cannot exist. If you have never fallen in love it seems like you have no proof of it being real. If you have never felt spiritual it just means it has not happened for you, it does not disprove it.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Nope, to me, your comment is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Lack of faith in gods is not a religion, it is a social gathering of likeminded rational thinking people.

to celebrate a lack of faith in gods on a certain day of the week in a certain place does make it a religion. if you are a true atheist, you live with no form of organized celebration for any belief,

you live life everyday and know that ya live and you die one day. and know that there is know is no normal life, there is just life, ya live it.

and further more if these guys really care about being atheist so much, and need to pick out a time and place to celebrate it, the athiest thing to do is to set random times that are best for everybody and do it at local pubs. and even though not every athiest drinks they can always order water or juice

A lot of the new groups are starting at pubs and bars etc, it is an organised social meeting place for people who, like me, feel more comfortable with likeminded people. Those who do not believe in fairytales.
I'm amused by the amount of criticism by many here. If you don't like it, don't get involved, pretty simple, and the same reason you won't see me at any religious churches.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger

How about a local charity set up for a child with cancer in your area. Do you donate or not for fear the family might thank the Lord?
Maybe you can set up your own charities and exclude those who believe

I'm an Atheist and spend every Christmas day setting up and serving food at the Salvation Army dinner/gift give at the local convention center.

What those of particular religious faiths don't seem to realize is Atheism is a non-belief in supernatural entities. That is all. There is no code or rules, so every person chooses how to live their lives on personal preference, not subscribed dogma or direction from a "leader". It's also why this "movement" does't make much sense to me.

Personally, I set an amount at the beginning of the year to donate my time or money and place it where I see best fit. However, I do my homework and if my time or money isn't going directly to those that need it . . . I don't bother.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

you could take odds on there being child abusers amongst such groups too, i hear it's not exclusive to priests whatsoever.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join