It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Sunday Assembly goes worldwide, the future is bright for non-believers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
After the outstanding success of the first Sunday Assembly at a former church in London, the demand has spread and local groups are now being formed across the UK, and as far afield as New York (US) and Melbourne (Australia).

www.google.com...

Britain's atheist church is barely three months old but it already has more "worshippers" than can fit into its services, while more than 200 non-believers worldwide have contacted organisers to ask how they can set up their own branch.

But the Sunday Assembly's success -- 400 Londoners packed into last week's two services, while 60 had to be turned away at the door -- suggests many urban atheists crave the sense of community that comes with joining a church.

In the last few days many groups have now been formally set up all over the UK for atheists to be able to celebrate life, enjoy interesting talks and music, in an environment free from religious zealotry.
As one who does not believe in any gods I'm excited about meeting likeminded folks for quality discussion and enjoyable social networking. Religious churches have that sense of community but now it seems we godless types can enjoy the same benefits without any mystical teachings which are clearly unnecessary for social cohesion.

If you do not believe in any gods but look forward to meeting likeminded people in a rational thinking friendly social environment, then here's a couple of links...

www.facebook.com...
sundayassembly.com...

Oh, and any silly comments like atheist-church oxymoron or whatever, save the embarrassment of raising it here, the Sunday Assembly is NOT a church, it is a regular meeting place for people who do not believe in gods, to be able to enjoy that same sense of community and celebration of life, but without any unproven wild claims of magic and mystery. Everybody likes to be inspired through interesting talks, and most of us like to sing songs in a social setting while enjoying the added benefits of a social group with shared views on life.

Looking forward to seeing how this grows. 32% of my home UK nation (Wales) declared 'no religion' in the 2011 census, 25% of England, it seems our people are finally waking up to the idea that being 'good' is not inspired by [insert any gods] but more about compassion for fellow humankind. How wonderful to have places for non-believers of gods, free from the damnation spouted by many who do.

+27 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I dont know how the future can be bright when there is no future for non-believers.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

You are the first one to laugh at "organized religion"......Yet HERE you go....

OHHHH sorry it's with the "non-believers" so it's okay....

Sorry but your future isn't looking bright......You are in for a giant warm surprise!
edit on 3/11/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
I dont know how the future can be bright when there is no future for non-believers.

Haha, I guess that's your belief, my future is as long as I live and then a tasty meal for the worms

I don't need the religious crutch I assume you refer to.

+15 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
So it is basically a YMCA? I think maybe the entire premise of Atheism is lost once they start holding weekly meetings in a church to celebrate not believing. I just can't grasp the point in it. Hey, but whatever floats your boat.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
Sorry but your future isn't looking bright......You are in for a giant surprise!

Ah, thanks for the concern but you can prove none of your claims so I shall just dismiss them as I would fairies, pixies, mermaids and the like

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

There's a guillotine in the future of us Jesus followers.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

Haha, I guess that's your belief, my future is as long as I live and then a tasty meal for the worms

Not now but there will come a time you will wish you had it more than you ever had wished for anything. Good luck.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
So it is basically a YMCA?

Urm, no, the YMCA is riddled with religious undertones, you do know what YMCA initials represent don't you?

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This is just absurd on so many levels.

I'm not religious at all, I have no interest in, nor any use for gods.
I still want nothing to do with this.

I have many friends that are very religious, and we have no problem hanging out and having interesting conversations.

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I am an Atheist but I admit to being puzzled by this. I don't see the point in joining a group of people united only by a common disbelief/disinterest in a particular something.

Surely it makes more sense to use your limited recreational time with a group that shares a common interest instead?

edit on 11-3-2013 by justwokeup because: oops

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Not now but there will come a time you will wish you had it more than you ever had wished for anything. Good luck.

Again, just your belief. I do not subscribe to such thoughts. I appreciate the sentiment though, no matter how inspired by unproven religious dogma.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Odd, I have never been a member of the YMCA. I have friends who work out there. They have never said they were accosted by religious zealots. There was a band named YMCA. They were supposedly a gay band. I never thought of the Y as religious.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Yep, the common interest is celebrating life without fairytales.
"Live better, help often, wonder more"

If it ain't you cup of tea that's cool, but many people seek refuge in a social group free of religious zealots.
I am one of them.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Sorry but your future isn't looking bright......You are in for a giant surprise!

Ah, thanks for the concern but you can prove none of your claims so I shall just dismiss them as I would fairies, pixies, mermaids and the like

Yet you didn't bring up my "organised religion" quote?? Hmmmmm wonder why??

Because you are a HIPPOCRIT to the fullest extent......You are excited about an atheist church!!

Hippo motha effin Crit to the fullest term of the word.....

You sure won't be able to prove me wrong is all I can say about your quote above.....But yes I can prove you wrong, there is a big difference there, time will tell......Best of luck to you and your friends.....Hopefully you like warm weather!

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
What took them so long? Why are they just now celebrating life.....on Sunday morning? You would think this would have been started eons ago. Why is this hoopla???? I know many talk radio shows keep Sunday mornings for gardening, automobile issues etc. What's all the fuss about already? Gosh, emphasizing your right to meet and shoot the chit on Sunday mornings is now a big eff'n dddeal. Whatever.

+21 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
so a religion is being created out of atheist beliefs, with Sunday gatherings and all. this is the stupidest thing ive ever heard of.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec

Odd, I have never been a member of the YMCA. I have friends who work out there. They have never said they were accosted by religious zealots. There was a band named YMCA. They were supposedly a gay band. I never thought of the Y as religious.

Young Mens Christian Association, enough said there really.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Yet you didn't bring up my "organised religion" quote?? Hmmmmm wonder why??

Because you are a HIPPOCRIT to the fullest extent......You are excited about an atheist church!!

Hippo motha effin Crit to the fullest term of the word.....

You sure won't be able to prove me wrong is all I can say about your quote above.....But yes I can prove you wrong, there is a big difference there, time will tell......Best of luck to you and your friends.....Hopefully you like warm weather!

No, you can prove nothing. It is why so many people with rational thoughts do not believe in your faith based assertions.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
IMO...tomorrow isn't guaranteed and if there's a chance of life after death I would like to make sure I'm in that line...

Faith is personal. You don't have to go to church or belong to some organization to have faith...IMO. But I believe that praying in groups helps get your prayers heard louder...

edit on 5-9-2013 by Springer because: image removed per request of copyright owner

<<   2  3  4 >>

join