It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Of course we back Bush: Australian Foreign Minister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Although Alexander Downer' comments will have zero effect on the American voter,
this does demonstrate how much the Howard Govt' is behind the Bush admin'.

And our Foreign Minister is obviously a genius when it comes to making media statements...

"... It's a wonderful thing that of all the hundreds and hundreds of people who support Senator Kerry, we've found one (who objected)," he said.
Hundreds???
and

"I think everybody knows that John Howard and George W Bush have a very close relationship," Mr Downer said.

"We've done the hard yards together, the Howard government and the Bush administration."

www.news.com.au...

Yeah, I suppose b/s'ing in synchronicity could be referred to as "doing the hard yards" together.

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I cant beleive Downer is still the FM. I voted for Howard and even I still cringe when school boy Downer opened his mouth.....to switch feet.

How could some one who trips and twists even the most simple concepts until they sound riddiculous coming out of his mouth be allowed to hold this post for almost a decade?

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by craigandrew
I cant beleive Downer is still the FM. I voted for Howard and even I still cringe when school boy Downer opened his mouth.....to switch feet.

How could some one who trips and twists even the most simple concepts until they sound riddiculous coming out of his mouth be allowed to hold this post for almost a decade?

there's no where else to put him?

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
He could retire on "health grounds" and get sent to be an ambassador.....in Baghdad or Kabul....

[edit on 1-11-2004 by craigandrew]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
oops. double post

[edit on 2-11-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
*further*

An adviser to Democratic challenger John Kerry has labelled John Howard's comments "inappropriate" and Labor agrees.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer says it is inevitable the Coalition will sympathise with its American centre-right counterpart, the Republican Party.

www.abc.net.au...

'it is inevitable the Coalition'?? I thought we had a government. (i'm not referring to the 'Coalition
of the willing', Iraq)

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Funny how all those foreign governments aren't supposed to be commenting on the US election...... except when they say something that might be construed as backing Bush, huh?

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by craigandrew
He could retire on "health grounds"

craigandrew

Too many "meat pies". *oz slang*

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
That is what Allies are all about! Thanks Austrailia!

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
That is what Allies are all about! Thanks Austrailia!

Thanks ed', i'm sure Austrailia is right behind you.
btw, is Austrailia a small republic or something like that

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Technically, we are a Commonwealth.

The collective British colonies on the continent of Australia came together to rationalise and maximise thier resources for economic and defensive purposes, given our isolation at the time.

In the 1880s and 1890s there were Colonial Committees which debated the question (the UK was supportive because they thought independent markets would improve thier profits and reduce thier admin overheads).

It culminated on January 1 1901 when the Commonwealth of Australia was proclaimed.

We were initially referred to as a Dominion of the British Empire along with Canada, South Africa and New Zealand ( a slightly higher percieved status than the third world colonies AT THE TIME)

We were relucant for full independence unlike some other colonies and until the eve of WW2 we had no real seperate foreign service or policy from England.

Our Governor General is technically the Queens Representative in Australia (we have an optional oath of alleigence including reference to the Queen, and reference is made by some Royalists to her as "The Queen of Australia") and theoretically has the final say in decisions of Government although in reality today they true role is ceremonial (swearing in the government) and a witness role (signing into law legislation passed by the parliament) and PR (doing those ribbon cuttings and handshaking sessions the Prime Minister is too busy for while running the country).

There is a Republican movement in Australia but it is divided on the model, while the Royalist have the good fortune to have only one. We had a convention and national referendum on it in ...1998? but the Republicans didnt like the model put forward.

To be honest, I dont think most Australians give a stuff about the model as long as it works. Personally I dont see the point of spending hundred of millions of dollars to change the titles on the door, and why would we want to stuff up our system by ending up with a French or American model of Democracy when this one, while its not perfect, works fairly well.

We are still part of the Commonwealth and attend the annual (?) Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) which is most of the members of the former British Empire......At best its a loose coalition of states focused on Trade ties, with some security and human rights policies. At worst its a free lunch in Barbados (or where ever) for a lot of beauracrats.

No offence. Sorry for the long winded reply.

top topics

join