It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrobiologists discover fossils in meteorite fragments, confirming extraterrestrial life

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by OnionHead
reply to post by FreeThinkerbychoice

Hello you free thinker you, nice to meet you. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that this is plausible, of course it is. If I had to guess I would say that the universe is packed with life in many variations. I have a problem with threads like this though and their misleading titles. "Astrobiologists discover fossils in meteorite fragments, confirming extraterrestrial life"- this should be breaking news round the world, did I stick my TV on to watch this breaking news unfold? No, because I knew better.

I look forward to this being backed up, I have my doubts though.

Don't get me started on Earth like creatures on Mars, I buckle laughing at those threads.

You are most certainly right dear Onion. The title of the post surely is misleading, smart move on behalf of the op to get peoples attention, yet their is no official clarification of the claims being made. That said it seems we are more alike than I previously thought. My excitement got the better of me when I read the article and I should definitely be more rigorous in my speculation when it comes to such big claims being made. See you around
and Good things

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinkerbychoice

Originally posted by OnionHead
reply to post by FreeThinkerbychoice

Hello you free thinker you, nice to meet you. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that this is plausible, of course it is. If I had to guess I would say that the universe is packed with life in many variations. I have a problem with threads like this though and their misleading titles. "Astrobiologists discover fossils in meteorite fragments, confirming extraterrestrial life"- this should be breaking news round the world, did I stick my TV on to watch this breaking news unfold? No, because I knew better.

I look forward to this being backed up, I have my doubts though.

Don't get me started on Earth like creatures on Mars, I buckle laughing at those threads.

You are most certainly right dear Onion. The title of the post surely is misleading, smart move on behalf of the op to get peoples attention, yet their is no official clarification of the claims being made. That said it seems we are more alike than I previously thought. My excitement got the better of me when I read the article and I should definitely be more rigorous in my speculation when it comes to such big claims being made. See you around
and Good things

Ok just to get it out there, I was not trying to mislead anyone, I saw the article pop up on a site I frequent alot, and I wanted to get it posted

The title is from the article, and in this forum you have to use the exact tiitle from the link..

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Okay here is what was said to me in a discussion with some paleontologists. I paraphrased a bit, but this is the gist of it.

"Live Diatoms were found inside the center of the rock. Meaning the rocks were porous and had a lot of pockets to hold liquids, which is not the norm for meteorites."

Diatoms were found in the rock yes. As mentioned in another post Diatoms are responsible for the production of silica as well as some sponges, their skeletons are made of it. When you see a chert/flint rock you are holding a rock that contains millions/billions of tiny bits of skeletons.

"The content of the amorphous silica in the rock was too high."

"And further Patrick Kociolek who is an expert in Diatoms says that the photos are of Diatoms but that they are too perfect to be fossilized. The taxonomy of the Diatoms are also fresh water and of a living species today that have a great deal of evolutionary history."
Sure you can have some really detailed fossils. You can see bone cell and plant cell many times under a microscope, I have personally seen this many times. However, the fossilization process does not make an exact or perfect copy of the original (in any of the processes of fossilization).

I do not have the Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology for Diatoms (at least not that I recall) so I cannot compare myself. But those I was speaking to about this I trust very much on the subject.

A good book dealing with the subject of Diatoms though as well as many other paleontology princples can be found here. It is a free download at Google Books.

A Manual of Paleontology

books.google.com...

Aside from the fact that it is outdated in the way of this was written before the knowledge of plate tectonics the rest of the information is still useable. I highly recomend reading through it.

Raist
edit on 3/13/13 by Raist because: spelling

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I stand corrected
Do not worry though as my remarks were not made with any patronizing intentions what so ever. In fact I implore you to continue your research on topics of such interesting proportions.

Good things

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

Originally posted by DARREN1976

Originally posted by smurfy
reply to post by smurfy

He said: "I've got ongoing collaborations with, for example, the Russian space agency. Next year is 50th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's first manned trip around the world. To mark this, we're doing lots of experiments such as looking for viruses and evidence of cometary organics coming in from space. To continue work like that I have to set up a company."

edit on 12-3-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

I have heard mentioned that SPANISH INFLUENZA and the the BLACK PLAGUE amonst a few other major epidemics also, where preceded by a lot of activity in the sky, meaning comets/UFO's/meteors where spotted days and hours before outbreaks of these things, including red rain and feathery filaments being discovered that are maybe connected to some of this, the filaments actually showed up as biological but subsequently the lab burned down that was studying them, and there where no other samples to carry on working with..... Bunch of Baloney, or something more sinister at Work? you decide!

PEACE!!

edit on 12-3-2013 by DARREN1976 because: (no reason given)

Chandra Wickramasinghe is not exactly the everyday quack either, as some posts imply. He has had a prestigious education, is a professor and held prestigious posts. One can't even say that he has fell out of his tree because of old age, he's been pursuing this line of thinking for many years.

edit on 12-3-2013 by smurfy because: Extract.

Kinda along the lines of my thinking as well... with regards to certain posters/armchair experts bashing C Wickramasinghe, when i saw some of the negative comments made about this ESTABLISHED INTELLECTUAL I immediately totted up in my head like this :-

number papers published ny Chandra W = many....
number of papers published by the armchair experts on here = ABSOLUTELY NONE AT ALL!
If they dont agree with it then fine, voice your opinions, but dont bash the poor fellow that has made more achievements in his life than they would hope to gain in a hundred lifetimes themselves...

anyway...just my take on things,
rant over,
PEACE OUT!!

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

And now they have more than 628 samples to choose from. For this paper, they only show the results from TWO carefully selected cherry picked samples and demonstrate that they are meteoric in nature. They do not show at any time any heritage information on the samples to demonstrate that they are specifically from last years meteor, and leave me wondering if there was any way at all to show that they werent from a different earlier meteor at some time in ancient history. They dont show it any way at all. They dont even bring up the topic. I think they should have addressed this.

I agree with this conundrum. Meteoritic labs do a lot of "pairing", and the results would show positively if one meteorite fragment was from the same fall as the "control". That "control" must be a well documented piece of material that can be traced to the witnessed fall as soon after the event as possible. If that cannot be absolutely determined by scientists, the whole thing can get very complicated.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I wanted to revive this since I finally was able to remember my user name... anyway, I sent an email to the Professor and I figured it would be appropriate to share his response.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Dear xxxxx (me)

Thanks for your mail.  There is no doubt at all that the stones we studied fell from the skies, and that they do contain fossil and living diatoms as well as microorganisms that have been extinct on the Earth for over 2 billion years.  The statements by Senaratne have no scientific validity, and he may well be involved in a paid cover-up of this discovery.  NASA seems to have an unwritten policy to deny all evidence of extraterrestrial life.  The fact that these are meteorites is confirmed by isotope studies which the critics have conveniently ignored.  There is even more crushing evidence that we are putting together now.  I hope this might be a watershed for the truth to be ultimately revealed.

The argument that "there is life inside this stone therefore it has to be an earth stone" does not stand up to scientific scrutiny.  The fact however is that these are a new type of meteorite that is rich in quartz.  Such meteorites may have fallen in the past but have gone unrecognised.

Best

Chandra
▼ Hide quoted text

On 3 June 2013 15:54, [email protected]> wrote:
Hello Prof. Wickremesinghe,

xxxxx FL, USA. I know you are very busy person but I am xxxxxxxxxxxx evexxxxxxxxx although it seems Athula Senarathna finds there is no truth, I tend to wonder if that may be an attempt to cover up or withhold these truths from the public.

Thanks for your time and I await your response.

Regards,

--

XXXXX XXXXX

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join