Astrobiologists discover fossils in meteorite fragments, confirming extraterrestrial life

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+60 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Astrobiologists discover fossils in meteorite fragments, confirming extraterrestrial life

www.extremetec h.com

Researchers in the United Kingdom have found algae-like fossils in meteorite fragments that landed in Sri Lanka last year. This is the strongest evidence yet of cometary panspermia — that life on Earth began when a meteorite containing simple organisms landed here, billions of years ago — and, perhaps more importantly, that there’s life elsewhere in the universe.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

A fireball was seen in Sri Lanka in December 2012 and fragments of the fireball were collected and sent to Sri Lanka’s Medical Research Institute, where initial microscopic analysis revealed siliceous microalgae known as diatoms.

And some fragments were sent to Cardiff University in Wales for further analysis. The researchers at Cardiff are now reporting that they’re sure that these fragments come from an extraterrestrial meteorite — and that there are definitely “fossilized biological structures

Cardiff University’s tests took a two-pronged approach: First to confirm that there were actually algae fossils within, but more importantly to rule out terrestrial contamination. To this end, the researchers found very low levels of nitrogen (which is nearly always present in modern-Earth organisms), and their oxygen isotope analysis “shows [that the samples] are unequivocally meteorites.” The meteorite’s atomic makeup, coupled with the fossils being fused with the rock matrix, is a strong indicator that the organisms aren’t terrestrial in origin.

www.extremetec h.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11-3-2013 by goou111 because: add pic

+26 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Very interesting. I wonder what the chances are that this meteorite was ejecta from an older impact of the Earth that finally made it's way back with fossils that were originally of Earthly origin?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Very interesting but how could they determine such thing?

I love news like these!
Keep it up!

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
This will have to be peer-reviewed by every peer alive before it can be declared "wha?". Hopefully this pans out - remember the hoop-la in the mid- late- 90s about the Mars meteorite containing a fossil or more, complete with live-telecast press conferences and ....well, you know what happened. Of course I'm very interested to see where this one goes.

By the way, is this a trusted website?

EDIT: Here's a qualifier from the sourced article:

These findings aren’t a slam dunk, though. According to our in-house biologist John Hewitt, there’s a strong possibility that the fossils aren’t actually biological in nature — they simply look biological. “This is kind of like finding a Q from Scrabble floating in space; it may be worth 10 points, but finding a few Es first would be a bit more convincing,” Hewitt says. There’s also the fact that the research was published in the Journal of Cosmology, a peer-reviewed journal that has come under critical scrutiny numerous times since it was established in 2009. The journal faced a lot of controversy when it published a paper by NASA engineer Richard Hoover claiming to have found fossils “similar to cyanobacteria” in meteorites.

edit on 11-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
This will have to be peer-reviewed by every peer alive before it can be declared "wha?". Hopefully this pans out - remember the hoop-la in the mid- late- 90s about the Mars meteorite containing a fossil or more, complete with live-telecast press conferences and ....well, you know what happened. Of course I'm very interested to see where this one goes.

By the way, is this a trusted website?

Im not sure how fringe the site is but I frequent it alot and most of the stories here end up on the msm a couple days later

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Here's a link to the paper's summary, submitted 06 Mar 2013:
Abstract

Journal of Cosmology, Volume 22, No.2. March 2013

Very interesting...I'll follow this...

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The article also says;

These findings aren’t a slam dunk, though. According to our in-house biologist John Hewitt, there’s a strong possibility that the fossils aren’t actually biological in nature — they simply look biological.

So not exactly confirmed. .....although personally I believe it will happen soon.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Thanks. Yet they used a source themselves (see my post a couple up, I've added a quote from the sourced article which calls the original source into question)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
Very interesting. I wonder what the chances are that this meteorite was ejecta from an older impact of the Earth that finally made it's way back with fossils that were originally of Earthly origin?

Curious theory! Can you imagine the power that was required to put shard of earth in the space? At the current escape velocity it would be 11km/s (40k km/h). While this seems like an unimaginable impact, it's probably insignificant in scale of things.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Only a matter of time.

If this is true or not, someday it will be.

Silly people thinking we are the only life in the entire universe.

Thanks OP.

Peace

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Quite extensively discussed.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The "discovery" has been roundly critized as lacking scientific rigor.

edit on 3/11/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Now, I know it is life, but I always chuckle a little when a headline will say "life found" to find out it is a microbe, algae or something to that matter.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Quite extensively discussed.

The "discovery" has been roundly critized as lacking scientific rigor.

edit on 3/11/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

This is a new study because everyone is so skeptical

the scientific community was skeptical of the results — and so some fragments were sent to Cardiff University in Wales for further analysis. The researchers at Cardiff are now reporting that they’re sure that these fragments come from an extraterrestrial meteorite — and that there are definitely “fossilized biological structures” within them. Panspermia, it seems, is a go.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

What are the chances ? Something like the quality of this comment : near ZERO.

They said they ruled out the meteorite being of terrestrial origin. Did you actually read what it said of you just distort things to suit your vision.

Here it is again for you.

the researchers found very low levels of nitrogen (which is nearly always present in modern-Earth organisms), and their oxygen isotope analysis “shows [that the samples] are unequivocally meteorites.” The meteorite’s atomic makeup, coupled with the fossils being fused with the rock matrix, is a strong indicator that the organisms aren’t terrestrial in origin.
edit on 11-3-2013 by Chrysalis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

The researchers at Cardiff are now reporting that they’re sure that these fragments come from an extraterrestrial meteorite

The trouble is, those are the same researchers. There has been no independent verification and still no peer review.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrysalis

What are the chances ? Something like the quality of this comment : near ZERO.

They said they ruled out the meteorite being of earth origin. Did you actually read what it said of you just distort things to suit your vision.

Here it is again for you.

the researchers found very low levels of nitrogen (which is nearly always present in modern-Earth organisms), and their oxygen isotope analysis “shows [that the samples] are unequivocally meteorites.” The meteorite’s atomic makeup, coupled with the fossils being fused with the rock matrix, is a strong indicator that the organisms aren’t terrestrial in origin.

Yes I did read it....thanks for posting it again and contributing so much to the thread. Maybe you should focus on contributing? My reasoning is if an impactor initially struck Earth a VERY long time ago and sent ejecta into space with pieces of the original impactor combined with pieces of the Earth and microbial life, could it be possible that it has made it's way back around after travelling in space for a while.

Glad you are here to be the post police though...without you we might not survive. I thank you for being on ATS to make sure we all uphold your standards.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

And what then ?

Carbon gets transformed into silica after a trip in space ?
That's some strange alchemy you're doing there dude.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This is exciting news! Sounds pretty conclusive, sensible and logical to me.

However, the truth it reveals is still too terrifying for many people to accept. I'm sure some of them will show up here to cry about it.

ETA I would still be interested to know how and where these diatomes originated.
edit on 11-3-2013 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrysalis

And what then ?

Carbon gets transformed into silica after a trip in space ?
That's some strange alchemy you're doing there dude.

No....

the researchers found very low levels of nitrogen (which is nearly always present in modern-Earth organisms)

Nearly and modern being the key words here. Not definitive and not modern....unless modern they mean any organism that has EVER been on Earth.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join