It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State judge invalidates New York City's ban on large sugary drinks

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
hopefully they strike down the new gun laws and all the other shady stuff Cumo is up to!

???????????????????????

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
reply to post by MrSpad

If the ban wasn't goal,why did this Idiot Mayor enact a ban to start?
I'll go that he wanted the ban.What a waste of tax payer money and tying up the court system on this ridiculousness.

If he wanted to get people talking..run ads..etc.

So that every single person in the country would begin talking about how unhealthy these drinks are. And guess what it was cheaper and more effective than any marketing campaign anyone would have come up with. You do not write a law with so many loopholes and no real method of enforcement and expect it to stick.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Everybody knew the ban would not stand in court but, the ban was never the goal.

Well, people are certainly talking about it.... So the goal has been met. Why is Bloomberg going to appeal the ruling???

If you heard the news, Bloomberg says the problem is that people are obese. The law is not about 'sugary drinks' it is the government saying that people are too fat.

The government is going to the trouble of telling people how to live their lives.

Nanny statists suck IMO.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I love the irony here. When the feds override a state law, they get on top of their box of freedom fries and cry about it yet... when a state overrides local city laws that those same people disagree with, it's "FREEDOM AND LIBERTY, WOOOO!"

Be consistent, for crying out loud.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Damn Michael Bloomberg...how dare he try and improve the health of New Yorker's.
How dare this man elected for and by the New Yorkers try and lower obesity levels in kids and prolong their live's.
It's disgusting that this man try's to better your health....

For those of you who thought the lifting of this ban was in the name of liberty and freedom of choice, well, i hope you all die happy and weighing in at 200 kilos each !!

The lifting of this ban is not a win for liberty or for freedom, it's a(nother) win for the big muscle companys like (dare we mention them, we all know their names), who flex their political muscle (bought with pay off's and present's), when they need to to protect profits at the cost of your and your kid's health.

The legal problems these guy's have just disappear, like the gas bubbles in a two hour old..erm...coke!!

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

Here is an idea. Try personal responsibility.

If you don't want that big of a drink don't drink it. I personally cannot stand the big drinks as they water down too quickly. I much prefer the smaller drinks. The drinks themselves are not the root problem though. The root problem is that people are not getting off their duff more often and working off the stuff the throw down their throat.

Raist

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

If you don't want that big of a drink don't drink it. I personally cannot stand the big drinks as they water down too quickly. I much prefer the smaller drinks. The drinks themselves are not the root problem though. The root problem is that people are not getting off their duff more often and working off the stuff the throw down their throat.

Raist

We all have vices. Come on. Gimme gimme. What's yours?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Do you control your vices or do they control you?

If a person has them is not the question.

Raist

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Raist

Me thinks you may have hit upon something there !!!

Alas the "root problem" here, is that the majority of the afore mentioned big drinks are knowingly filled with crap that make the addicitive.
That is why the majority of people dont want to leave them..it's that they cant but don't know it.
But, the theme of personal accountability does have a lot to do with it.
We now know the danger that accompanies fast food, it is up to us to protect our children.
But while coke and its competitors are running congress nothing will change in our lifetime.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

Raist

We all have vices. Come on. Gimme gimme. What's yours?

To say i have no vices would not be truthful..we all have, and anyone who say's they dont is a liar.
My vice is -
A 750g T-Bone steak.
Garlic mushrooms.
Fries.
A small side salad with rounds of goats cheese served on slices of toasted baguette.
All washed down with a very very very chilled bottle of white wine from Navarra here in Spain.

(snip), if i've got to die of something, i'd prefer to die of a coronary heart disease brought on by eating the above then from eating the (snip) they serve in Mac D's.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors. Please Review This Link.

edit on 17-3-2013 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

While that might be your vice are you eating it every day or do you control yourself and only eat it from time to time.

Even if you eat every last drop of juice on your plate from such a meal if you are not eating it daily and working off what you take in you are really not hurting your health that much overall.

Your post did make my mouth water a bit.

Raist

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I drink a few sodas a day myself (very seldom drink a full one for some reason though). I only started consuming sweets regularly last October I am not sure what changed but something has changed a bit. I am hypoglycemic so I cannot eat a lot of them but I do eat them more than before.

I am active enough though that my numbers are good and my weight is right in the middle of where it should be for my age and height.

Raist

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I wonder why so many people are concerned if other people (other than their children) are obese?

If the answer is that it raises health care costs, the problem isn't that someone is obese, it is that you are paying for their healthcare.

What if a study shows that people that run or play contact sports have higher healthcare costs? Is it okay if we ban those activities?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

If you ban sports the fat people will have nothing to watch on TV from the couch with their big cola and potato chips?

In a perfect world everyone could be happy. I wonder when we will have one of those?

Raist

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

If you ban sports the fat people will have nothing to watch on TV from the couch with their big cola and potato chips?

In a perfect world everyone could be happy. I wonder when we will have one of those?

Raist

Alas, we will never have a perfect world where everyone is happy.

Wouldn't it be sweet if people were free to pursue their own happiness, provided that they are injuring no one else?
edit on 16-3-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I don't know about you or anyone else but I always pursue my happiness. More so in the warmer months than in the cold ones though.

Raist

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   

While that might be your vice are you eating it every day or do you control yourself and only eat it from time to time.

Even if you eat every last drop of juice on your plate from such a meal if you are not eating it daily and working off what you take in you are really not hurting your health that much overall.

Your post did make my mouth water a bit.

Raist

Raist, if only i could afford to eat that good everyday.
Thats a once or twice a month special if im lucky.
And yes, if you burn off more calories than you take on board you should stay fine.
Lifestyle is as much the culprit if not more than the food and drink.
However that theres even a hint that someone is trying to stop the fast food rot is a good good thing and should be supported 110%.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I guess I am at the mind set of if they want to get fat and die let them. Same with the guy jumping out of a plane or off a cliff. If they choose to die that way so be it.

As long as everyone leave me alone to do the things I want (that does not hurt others) I will let them do as they please.

Raist

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

rigging elections and being a major media souce of his own the bloomberg group he can put out untold amounts of propaganda.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
A ban on promoting huge sugary beverages in New York City was set to go into impact on Tuesday, March 12. However, the soda ban was overturned Monday by a court. Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the town of New York have vowed to appeal the choice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join