It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Gun Ownership in American Homes Really Decreased This Dramatically?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I cannot speak for any but myself, but I dont base my oppinions on net message boards, my oppinions are born from real life experience, I have lived in 3 states, indiana, tennessee, and now texas.

A lot of folks in all 3 distrust just about everything the .gov says or does, and many many many own guns of one type or another.

Also 300, 000, 000+ guns, and only 300, 000, 000 should tell you the faxts quite clearly, even if only one thousand owned guns, they would have to have 300, 000 a piece, or if 300, 000 owned guns they would have to have 1, 000 a piece, you see quite quickly as not many having guns doenst pan out from even a cursory glance.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Yeah, because anyone with half a brain cell is going to blab to a polling company about their firearms.

Sales numbers and NRA membership speaks for itself.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I respect your arguments and you are well thought out about what you say. I would note that the links I based that % increase in sales on came from the U.S. Department Of Justice and the raw numbers of the NICs program for requests to background check a firearm purchase. They show no decline of any note whatever and a steady increase going back into the 90's. They also show some MAJOR spike years like 08/09 and the all time record setting 2012. (Soon to be eclipsed by 2013, at this rate).

The thing is, the numbers are from those who handle it as a business and professional matter within the Government. Not Politicals. It's as solid as anything really gets anymore and shows the opposite from what the survey here would suggest. Less credible sources like retail sales into the hunting market and shooting sports also have increased steadily over the years and without much deviation.

Just my two cents...

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
It wouldnt surprise me if it was correct, I meet plenty of Americans who work in Asia and I always ask about their thoughts on guns, bar 2 Halliburton employess from Texas all the rest say they have never owned a gun and never will.

So, anecdotes about Americans from a Non American.
Okay then.

The vast majority of Americans on this site are gun owners and I think many of you assume this is a good representation of American society, I dont think it is.

Again, a NON American speaking as to what American do.

We are on a conspiracy site where the overwhelming majority of Yanks distrust and actively dislike the Gov, and rightly so.

Gee thanks for the permission.

If the majority of your country men felt this way then you would most likely not have the issues with the gov that you currently do.

Thus the reason why millions are fighting against more restrictive gun laws. But, I guess you already knew that, since you not being here or from here and having more insight to America then the people here to begin with.

Is it really so far fetched to believe that the majority of these recent gun sales are by people buying a 2nd, 3rd or in the case of a few on this site 18th,19th and 20th gun?

More people are purchasing more firearms and ammunition.

I doubt anyone who is anti gun in the US would be prompted to buy one by a gun shortage, just my 2 cents

And yet again, from the keyboard of someone that is not here or from here.

Thanks for playing.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I believe and hope this is true. I am hopeful that people are growing up and out of their cave man mentalities.

I believe gun buying may be up but that is because it is the same old gun nuts buying these guns. They most likely buy and own multiple weapons giving the impression that there are a lot of Americans owning weapons when it might be only lke 1. something million who own like 20 or so guns each. Most likely even less...the gun nuts who believe that society would crumble if no one had access to guns...idiots..

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

I personally know of 5 people that went out and purchased a firearm, that have never owned one in their life.
One of them went out and purchased 3 at one time and is planning on buying 2 more.

The numbers are based on people participating openly with a polling company.

These days, with Counties and Cities releasing CCW holders addresses and info, people are not going to answer truthfully.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

How many of those NIC checks are for the same people? Sure, there may be more of them but are they being done for different people?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

The data and numbers show differently on this.

(Source: Gunpolicy.org )

The 1 and 2 citations are back to a 2007 Cambridge University Study which drew those numbers. #3 is to a 2006 Oxford study for that number and #4 is the Geneva Small Arms Survey for sourcing.

That site is outstanding for stats because they do inline cite and source back to original material for nearly everything.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Youll have to forgive me if I really couldnt care less about your opinion or what you think.

You allege you were a member of the American armed forces who served Overseas yet you whine like a little girl whenever a non American has an opinion about America.

I have been told by you several times now to stay out of Americas business, A bit hypocritical of you dont think think considering you were part of the biggest "butting into other peoples business" machine the planet has ever known.

Just dont read my posts and you will have nothing to worry about, as you have said, youve heard it all before anyway

Thanks for playing
edit on 11/3/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

There it is. It starts off lucid then devolves into a whine; the shrill mating call of a liberal:

"Anybody who disagrees with me is stupid".

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Let's please keep our comments on the topic, away from other members, and in keeping with the scholarly atmosphere we encourage.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

I cannot speak for any but myself, but I dont base my oppinions on net message boards, my oppinions are born from real life experience, I have lived in 3 states, indiana, tennessee, and now texas.

A lot of folks in all 3 distrust just about everything the .gov says or does, and many many many own guns of one type or another.

Also 300, 000, 000+ guns, and only 300, 000, 000 should tell you the faxts quite clearly, even if only one thousand owned guns, they would have to have 300, 000 a piece, or if 300, 000 owned guns they would have to have 1, 000 a piece, you see quite quickly as not many having guns doesnt pan out from even a cursory glance.

Correct me if Im wrong but the 3 states you mention, are they not up there with the highest rates of gun ownership in the country? Tried googling it but for some reason its slow as Sh!te right now.

So you average it out and you have roughly 1 gun per person, how many of you gun owners have just 1 gun? From what I hear very few. in fact I think I read on this site that the average gun owner owns 3-5 weapons and 35% own more than 8. If these figures are anywhere near being correct it means about 20% of Americans actually own a gun.

Not saying this to be rude but it seems that gun advocates are a hell of alot more vocal than anti gunners, maybe that is what gives you all the impression you are in the vast majority that you all seem to think you are

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Youll have to forgive me if I really couldnt care less about your opinion or what you think.

Yeah, ah-ha.

You allege you were a member of the American armed forces who served Overseas yet you whine like a little girl whenever a non American has an opinion about America.

Making stuff up I see. Care to provide where that was stated?

I have been told by you several times now to stay out of Americas business, A bit hypocritical of you dont think think considering you were part of the biggest "butting into other peoples business" machine the planet has ever known.

See above.
Also, instead of constantly making things up, why not go and research my stance on America's Foreign Wars.
I suspect you won't and will continue to pitch lies as truth.

Just dont read my posts and you will have nothing to worry about, as you have said, youve heard it all before anyway

Thanks for playing

Nah, think I will continue to remark on American issues, which have nothing to do with you, a Non American Citizen.

edit on 11-3-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I read this story this morning and I don't buy it for a minute. The numbers don't jive with what has been going on at all of my local gun shops. Certainly some return customers. But record numbers of new gun owners are stepping up to the cash register including women. All based on my highly scientific conversation with my buddy who works the gun counter at the busiest gun shop in my area.

Propaganda for sure.... See folks... banning guns is not so bad after all because fewer and fewer people actually own them. You won't hurt any feelings by banning guns....

You could probably spin it both ways. I'll have to take a closer look at the NYT research data.
edit on 11-3-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hey Bunny,

Long time no see

As a percentage Surely the survey must be correct, in the past 40 years there has been more and more people moving to urban areas where guns arent really a necessity like they are on farms.

As someone graciously pointed out I am not there or from there so Im just speculating but the recent spike in sales seems to be driven by a fear that soon guns will no longer be available to purchase, I just cant see the average non gun owner seeing this as motivation to go out and get themselves a gun. How many firearms do you think the average gun owner has?
I genuinely believe the percentage of gun owners would be down the the number of guns owned by gun owners would be way up which falsely makes people believe that more people are now owners.

Just my theory

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Also 300, 000, 000+ guns, and only 300, 000, 000 should tell you the faxts quite clearly, even if only one thousand owned guns, they would have to have 300, 000 a piece, or if 300, 000 owned guns they would have to have 1, 000 a piece, you see quite quickly as not many having guns doesnt pan out from even a cursory glance.

Correct me if Im wrong but the 3 states you mention, are they not up there with the highest rates of gun ownership in the country? Tried googling it but for some reason its slow as Sh!te right now.

So you average it out and you have roughly 1 gun per person, how many of you gun owners have just 1 gun? From what I hear very few. in fact I think I read on this site that the average gun owner owns 3-5 weapons and 35% own more than 8. If these figures are anywhere near being correct it means about 20% of Americans actually own a gun.

Not saying this to be rude but it seems that gun advocates are a hell of alot more vocal than anti gunners, maybe that is what gives you all the impression you are in the vast majority that you all seem to think you are

even if it was 20%, which I severely doubt- this is not 20% all living alone in households- these are, more often than not, individuals who live alongside relatives and friends (who may not have a gun licence) - I think that would move figures towards a majority of Americans living comfortably and happy within homes where there are guns

edit on 11-3-2013 by Credenceskynyrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

OK

so you were never a member of the armed forces? is this correct?

Im not making anything up but I could be mistaken, if this is the case Im not the only member who has made this mistake.

Why would I waste time researching anything of yours? I dont find anything you say to be intelligent or thought provoking, if you would like me to know your opinion how about you just share it.

Drop the paranoia for a minute and indulge me, how many guns do you personally own? of all your buddies who also own guns on average how many do you think each of them own?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Credenceskynyrd

even if it was 20%, which I severely doubt- this is not 20% all living alone in households- these are, more often than not, individuals who live alongside relatives and friends (who may not have a gun licence) - I think that would move figures towards a majority of Americans living comfortably and happy within homes where there are guns

True, Households with a gun would most likely be higher, perhaps even as high as 40% of homes have a gun but it still a minority whichever way you look at it.

All you need to do is think about how many guns you own and how many your gun owning friends own. On this site alone most claim to own a handgun or 2, a couple rifles, a semi, and some even say target shooting guns.
A gun per person averaged out but then most gun owners owning at least 3 guns, takes you down to 33.3% of the population with a gun add the other 30% of gun owners who own more than 8 and this takes your percentage of actual gun owners (Not guns per total people) down in a big way.

Lets also not forget that 20% of your population are under 15, I hope its only a tiny percent of them that own a gun and Ill take a stab in the dark here and say that anyone who buys there child under 15 a gun is gonna come under the owning more than 5 firearms catergory

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Im not sure why would owners that already had would suddenly give it up.. however, i can assume future buyers would be reduced.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Your 1 in 5 estimate could be spot on, but honestly knowbody really knows, so we woukd only be arguing semantics if we debated the numbers. So we can just go with 20 percent. Seems low to me from my experience, as I have spent time in a lot of states besides those 3 and the same has been prevelant every where for the most part, but then, my sampling data could just as easily be skued, as I am not the hanging with the libs type, I am more of a lets have a fire and catfish on the river banks type.

That still puts the number of gun owners at 60, 000, 000 thougb, which is quite large.

Also dont fool yourself into assuming that everyone that doesnt own a gun is against them, this could not he farther from the truth, as many dont have them but would like to and just cant afford it, have a felony ( just about everything is a felony these days in the states, so many are disqualified for many things not related to violence or even gun crimes) or have a mate that doesnt want tyem around the little ones etc... there are a lot of reasons people dont have them, the least of which is the lefty anti gun issues.

I would say that the anti gun crowd are by and large far more vocal with their rhetoric, most of us gun owners speak softly and carry a big stick, or just speK with our wallets when we purchase additional weapons.

I only have 2, my very first gun, a high power rifle I got for my seventh b day, and an automatic pistol, none of the stats are important, as it is non but my business.

I am what I would call the average gun owner in the states.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join