It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans could live to 150 with new drug developed from red wine

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Not for me without massive global social reform. I would not be wanting to leave school at 18 (or older if going to uni) and then working until i am at least 120 (because, lets face it, if we are living to 150 then the Pensionable age is going to rise significantly).

Even if we assume that school is stretched to become leisurely learning that learns until you are 40, that would still give you at the very least 80 years stuck working. And taxed the whole time! Could you imagine how grumpy you would be by the time you got to retirement?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I just started taking a resveratrol supplement. No idea if it does much, but due to some interesting research it at least looks promising enough to give it a try.

I'd love to live to 150, as a 30 year old I wonder at the technology that will be available in 120 years time. Maybe in 100 years time, being 130 will be like being a 50 year old today?

For the record, while I hope the supplement does some good, I don't for a second think it'll add dozens of years to my life or anything, I just hope it helps me maintain health. I'd rather feel good all the way until I'm 80, and then die, than to be in poor health for 30 years and die 100+.
edit on 12-3-2013 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I can't see this being something I would want. I'm 28 right now and very active. I have a great time hiking, backpacking, running, and snowboarding. Just because I can live to 150 doesn't mean I can keep doing these things. If I get to 110 and I'm resigned to 40+ years moving around in an electric wheelchair because I am not strong enough to walk, why would I want that lifestyle? To me this drug is more a curse than a gift.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Here's what will happen, people will start taking this pill. Will do so for years, decades even... Some of these people will die, of course... of natural causes (old age)... We will discover that this pill doesn't work for everyone.... This will go on for a while... The big Pharma Companies will be making billions... Then new research will find that this drug doesn't seem to enhance a human lifespan after all... People will still take it though... Drug companies will still make it....

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
Not for me without massive global social reform. I would not be wanting to leave school at 18 (or older if going to uni) and then working until i am at least 120 (because, lets face it, if we are living to 150 then the Pensionable age is going to rise significantly).

Even if we assume that school is stretched to become leisurely learning that learns until you are 40, that would still give you at the very least 80 years stuck working. And taxed the whole time! Could you imagine how grumpy you would be by the time you got to retirement?

Good point, but, you'd also have a lot of time to work many different jobs and learning a whole lot of new experiences in life that we normally don't have time for. But, like you said though, it might hurt the person who isn't very adventurous and is content with a single job all his life. I find it hard to believe sometimes when people say, "Oh, I've been with the company for 35 years." Man, that's a long time. Imagine when they say, I've been working here for 80 years!

edit on 12-3-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Methuselah's Children is a science fiction novel by Robert A. Heinlein, originally serialized in Astounding Science Fiction in the July, August, and September 1941 issues. It was expanded into a full-length novel in 1958.

The novel is usually considered to be part of Heinlein's "Future History" series of stories. It introduces the Howard families, a fictional group of people who achieved long lifespans through selective breeding. The space ship in this novel, the New Frontiers, is described in the Future History timeline as a second generation ship, following the Vanguard, the vehicle for Heinlein's paired novellas "Universe" and "Common Sense"

Plot summary

The Howard Families derive from Ira Howard, who became rich in the California Gold Rush, but died young and childless. Fearing death, he left his money for the prolongation of human life, and the trustees of his will carried out his wishes by financially encouraging those with long-lived grandparents to marry and have children. While the Families (who, by the 22nd Century, have a life expectancy of 150 years) have kept their existence secret, with the enlightened human society established under The Covenant, they decide to reveal themselves.

Society refuses to believe the Howard Families simply 'chose their ancestors wisely', instead insisting they have developed a method to extend life, and the Families are persecuted and interned. Though the beleaguered Administrator of the planet, Slayton Ford, is convinced the Families are telling the truth, he is helpless to control an increasingly irrational public and their efforts to force the Howard Families to reveal their "secret" or face execution.

The eldest member of the Howard Families, Lazarus Long, realizes this as well, and proposes to the Administrator that he help the Families hijack the colony starship New Frontiers, so they can escape.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Some sulfides do occur natural in wine production but as all industrial production and large scale commercial enterprise the issue is the additives and short cuts to make the production consistent, appealing and cheap. Like how sulfur dioxide is added for its antioxidant and preservative properties.

Simple.

Don't drink crappy alcohol.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Yes just try the 2008 Grattamacco Bolgheri Superiore!

The 2008 is a brilliant wine with incredible depth of fruit, seductive aromas of black cherry, black currant, tar, licorice and black raspberry and an extremely long finish with beautifully silky, polished tannins. The acidity is remarkable as it cleanses the mouth (this is a astonishingly clean wine for being so powerful), and provides amazing freshness.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
they mentioned the red wine pill on the radio this morning!! however they didnt say 150 years old!! it will be quite interesting however when they release the final formula of the pill for public consumption though..

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join