It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans could live to 150 with new drug developed from red wine

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious
Today my mom bought Reservitrol at the store. She has MS and thought it might help her. I have never heard of it until reading this headline and her buying it in the same day. It seemed strange. Anyway, I hope it does help people with some health issues, but as far as living until we're 150, I doubt it. As time progresses, humans become more and more unhealthy. The damage will be done. This drug might add a few years, but I doubt that many since people are scarfing down big macs every day.

Actually I think people in the US at least eat healthier than they did in the 80's and 90's. Have you been to a McDonald's today? The menu has so much more healthy stuff compared to when it did when I was a kid 15-20 years ago.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot

That is true about McDonald's. I admit, I love Mickey D's and Taco Bell. Most families eat prepackaged food though now. Women used to do more meals from scratch, and now most ingredients are processed with preservatives and not too healthy. That's where the bulk of the unhealthy food comes from. Foods are boxed and not off the vine anymore.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot

Today my mom bought Reservitrol at the store. She has MS and thought it might help her. I have never heard of it until reading this headline and her buying it in the same day. It seemed strange. Anyway, I hope it does help people with some health issues, but as far as living until we're 150, I doubt it. As time progresses, humans become more and more unhealthy. The damage will be done. This drug might add a few years, but I doubt that many since people are scarfing down big macs every day.

Actually I think people in the US at least eat healthier than they did in the 80's and 90's. Have you been to a McDonald's today? The menu has so much more healthy stuff compared to when it did when I was a kid 15-20 years ago.

They may have added some healthier items, but their regular items have gotten a lot worse over the years.

Truth about fake foods, Russia bans US meats

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

This is great now if we could just find a way to reverse the effects of radiation damage to DNA, this wouldn't seem like a "band-aid" for a more serious "infection"

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
If people are going to live that long, perhaps living underground might become neccessary so that the surface could be used for agriculture. I don't want to live that long anyway, at least not the way the world is right now. I have seen the "other side", which is where I plan on going for a few hundred years or so.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I do not belive it would stop or halt the progression of Alzheimers. Even the best medical research and medicines out there right now can only slow it down, but the downward spiral is a steady progression. There is a myrid of different age related problems that start to hit the body as the years progress on. Part of it is due to the lack of some hormones, and other is simply that the function of the body is no longer able to handle.

But here is the question, what if this actually works, and it prolongs life to 150, then what happens when the body starts to reject it or you build up a tolerance to the medicine? Does it mean that a person will endure all of the problems all at once, in one massive condition after another to die a painful death, or will it be where the body ceases to function and the person passes peacefully.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
nice find op

SNF

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

That is true about McDonald's. I admit, I love Mickey D's and Taco Bell. Most families eat prepackaged food though now. Women used to do more meals from scratch, and now most ingredients are processed with preservatives and not too healthy. That's where the bulk of the unhealthy food comes from. Foods are boxed and not off the vine anymore.

I don't think there's any evidence processed foods shorten lifespans though.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

This is interesting. If this drug becomes a reality, what could this mean for the planet. Would we have major over-population problems. What about resources, food, etc. Would we have to have a one-child per family policy that China has? Lots of questions.

Not so sure about that,I think more likely we would delay having children and less of them especially if it means an increase in quality of life.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
It basically helps cells shunt oxidative stress...basically this is getting down to the basic pathways of an anti oxidant. They could do the same thing with other anti oxidants too this isn't limited to just red wine; although the research at the moment might be.

I think it would be of benefit to study the best anti oxidants known, to uncover the pathways and mechanisms upon which they act.

Here's further reading for those that like to get technical: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
This is interesting, great find OP.

But I can't help but wonder how great it will be. There is always some anti-aging wonder. Celine sells one on TV made from a rare melon of some kid.. Some Swiss guy found stemcells in a rare swiss apple will take years off your life too....

Just saying, I've got this lovely bottle of snake oil. It will put a spring in your step, smooth your wrinkles, put hair on your chest, cure aches, pains, arthritis, incontinence, impotence, cancer, siphillus, herpes, Tuberculosis, if you've got an ailment this snake oil is for you.

All of these claims always have "some kind of scientific backing" usually inconclusive at best when reviewed by a group of peers, if it was even a real report to begin with.

Remarkable if true, and I've heard there are lots of discoveries as far as aging goes, but as of yet no viable, practical way of reversing it.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Facts About Sulfites
* Even organic wines contain sulfites.
* Sweet white wines have the highest amounts .
* Dry white wines are second; red wines have the lowest sulfite levels.
* Dried fruits and lunchmeats have far more sulfites than red wine.
* Your body produces enough sulfites in 24 hours to require 100 bottles of wine to be labeled, “Contains sulfites”.
So, if red wine gives you a headache, chances are that sulfites are not the cause.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Well i'm very happy for the rich overprivileged minority who will likely be the only people to ever receive this drug. They must be overjoyed...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Some sulfides do occur natural in wine production but as all industrial production and large scale commercial enterprise the issue is the additives and short cuts to make the production consistent, appealing and cheap. Like how sulfur dioxide is added for its antioxidant and preservative properties.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
But.....But....I don't want to live till I'm 150....Leave me alone !!! lol

~Second line~

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuke2013

Agreed I've been here for 40 and that's been quite plenty, not much to get a rise out of any more...nothing is really new or surprising, most times it's been there done that yawn I guess a couple more 1000's of times won't hurt. So whenever life decides I am redundant too, no biggie to me.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jinni73

Originally posted by abeverage

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
since when is the earth overpopulated?

Ever been to India or China? Somehow I am betting not...

The world is not overpopulated its just that you read that it is.

In India alone the land along the river Ganges is so fertile it's able to provide food for the entire world on its own.

Stop believing what the media tell you

Have you even seen the Ganges or any City along it? IT IS STINKING AND FILTHY have you been there? I have! A friend of mine lived in Visakhapatnam or to the locals Vizag. We have visited several times and traveled north to visit his sisters and will be going back in 2014. The pollution in most cities is so horrible you have to take throat lozenges and drink bottled water. If you don't your throat swells and you have the runs for weeks!!!

I have a friend who does business with China making safes. We went to Zhejiang near Shanghia and we were there for a week. The air will sting your eyes and again your throat feels like a 1,000 sore throats!

Don't tell me what I know you have obviously never been outside your bubble! These places are completely over-populated! Go to LA on a bad day and then multiple that by 10 that is how India and China are!

Can the Earth handle more people. Sure I have no doubt but not the way things are now and that means it is over crowded!

WERE ARE YOU GETTING YOUR INFORMATION? Talk to someone from India get some first hand information before you spout off...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

Originally posted by abeverage

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
since when is the earth overpopulated?

Ever been to India or China? Somehow I am betting not...

That's a little different than the EARTH though....Don'tcha think??

Seeing these places it is not hard to imagine what the world will be like unless we make some changes now.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Whatever the out come we are on track to that type one civilization..see Michio Kaku..add this or something like this to the trans-humanist movement ie nanobots cyber parts etc and we will have a new species of human.brave new world???

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I think there is plenty evidence that being unhealthy shortens life spans though...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join