It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Share Your Comet Pictures: Pan-STARRS, Lemmon, ISON

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Your Comet Pictures: C/2011 L4 (Pan-STARRS), C/2012 F6 (Lemmon), C/2012 S1 (ISON)

In anticipation of three major comets visiting over the next few months I have blown the dust off of the gear. Actually, yesterday I pulled the primary out of my largest telescope and cleaned it.

Pan-STARRS is now visible to those of us in the northern hemisphere but it's cloudy here so while I'm waiting and hoping that it clears up I thought I would make a thread to post images.

Run out in your sock feet and snap a pic!
I invite you all to post your pictures with me. I'm very interested in seeing how different devices and creative techniques do; whether it is a smartphone or purpose built imaging system. It would be really great to see people's artistic touches! I would love to see some creative post processing, interesting vantage points, and drawings/paintings too.
I will be using my little point and shoot as well as my telescopes and gear.

It is still too cloudy for imaging Pan-STARRS (in fact after a perfectly clear day it looks like it's about to precipitate...of course) so to get the ball rolling here is a pic of my main scope, a 13.1 inch Newt, Dob. I would love to see any rigs or gear you might be using to capture the comets this year.

My 13.1 Newt, Dob

edit on 10-3-2013 by dainoyfb because: of typos.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

That's one impressive telescope you got there! Either that, or you got one tiny cat!

I"m looking forward to see out members pictures!

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
That thing looks like a giants water filtered smoking device.

edit on 10-3-2013 by g0dhims3lf because: 2nd line

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by g0dhims3lf

It probably wouldn't surprise you to know how many times I've heard that over the years.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Can you give us a rundown on the other equipment attached to the scope.

Also if you have taken any pictures with it can you post a few

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

The smaller scope mounted to the main body is a 3.5 inch reflector that has an optical spectrum/intensity instrument running on it. That is what the oscilloscope is tasked with. The two instruments mounted on the rim are a thermal imager and a G3 image intensifier. The instrument on the main scope eye piece is an analog video camera which since the picture was taken has been replaced with a digital HD imager. The spotting scope is a Telrad device.

Sorry, no, I don't have any images that I am happy enough with to share.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Just a reminder to get out there and snap some pics before PanSTARRS drops below the horizon this evening. Good hunting!

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Sorry, wrong thread. Cool Idea though Dainoyfb. Hope we see some pictures from members here.

edit on 11-3-2013 by CraftBuilder because: I posted in the wrong thread.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by g0dhims3lf
That thing looks like a giants water filtered smoking device.

edit on 10-3-2013 by g0dhims3lf because: 2nd line

I bet that thing smoke's sweet,,,, Bet its filled with Papaya!!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

What's the cat do?
For scale?

edit on 3/11/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Helped me build it.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk8ter
I bet that thing smoke's sweet,,,, Bet its filled with Papaya!!!!

No smoke. Just mirrors.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Wait a minute. That's not the same cat! (Note my fine observational skills)
How does cat fur get along with fine optics?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Kind of like the lint on the SEREO A FPA. It gives the "everything is a mothership" crowd something to talk about. Fortunately there is a lot of aperture on this scope so its fairly forgiving and so am I.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb

Sorry, no, I don't have any images that I am happy enough with to share.

May I ask why after all look at the title of your thread and the IRONY of it looking at your answer above.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Sure. The weather has not allowed for imaging of the comet yet, so I have no pictures to share.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb

Sure. The weather has not allowed for imaging of the comet yet, so I have no pictures to share.

I wasn't asking about comet pictures is the equipment all new, don't you have other images you could show to let us see what you can do with all that gear

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

What's the cat do?
For scale?

its a puma

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Went up on the roof with my digicam Tue.night. Saw the crescent moon, but could not find the comet. We have incredible brown cloud pollution over Phoenix and also light pollution so I am not really surprised that I did not see it. I snapped a portrait of the constellation Orion just to make the trip up on the roof with my tripod and camera worthwhile. The neighbors came out in their back yards to stare at me up on the roof with my tripod, camera, and red flashlight which probably made the night worthwhile as well. " What is he doing up there with the binoculars and camera?" "Wow that dude is fat. They must have a really good roof."
edit on 3-13-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for to remove evidence of time travel.

edit on 3-13-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited because I don't know how to spell travel.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
So I am taking it that nobody got pictures of PANNSTARS? Too bad that someone among us was not in a dark sky locality to snag pics.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join