Internet Changes Education. 'Cons' are obvious... here are the 'Pros.'

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I was blown away by this video that I have attached! Maybe watching the video and possibly implementing the learning capabilities of the experiment will open our eyes as to how much smarter humans can become with the use of the internet?

I read all the time about how the internet and technology is ruining our lives. There's even a large thread a few away from this one that argues as such. It's my belief that us 'old timers' just have little to no idea of the great benefits the internet provides. We all learned from books, therefore limiting how much knowledge can be consumed. As well, books in schools are little more than a one sided statement/opinion. Intuition tells me that our current society and technologies would have advanced at an even quicker rate if the internet were available decades ago.

on.ted.com...

I know this experiment will greatly help decide on how I will choose for my children to be educated. I'd almost be willing to state that a child that has only a public school education, with no direction of their own, will be left behind in regards to smarts and intellect.

Thanks for your time, and Enjoy!

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ttobban

Thanks for posting that Ted video. I'm a teacher, of the spelling, reading, writing, math kind, and so am both threatened and inspired by the ideas in this video. What a dramatic change that would be! I don't see us getting there quickly, but I do think that change is occurring. Near the end of the video, he states that he wants to get a computer to every child. I'd be happy to see one in every class.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ttobban

Thank you for posting this, it was very inspiring.

Neither the internet nor computers have ruined anything for myself or my family. Quite the contrary.
The day we got our first computer in our home was the day I started on the road of learning things that could let me escape the factory job I was doing at the time. Today I am a 3D artist working from home, and very pleased with it.

I thoroughly enjoy the fact that the answer to a multitude of questions that come up during my typical day are only a few keystrokes away. Learning truly is addictive.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Inspiring and nice. Thanks to share this video. I do like the idea of using computer in education. What I think is the technology is nothing in it self but the use of technology make it bad or useful Even with the common things there usage make it useful or useless like knife you can cut with it but what will you actually cut that does matter.
edit on 11-3-2013 by droiddna because: (no reason given)

cert iv tae40110
edit on 11-3-2013 by droiddna because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Humanity is already far too dependent on technology for its most basic needs.

What happens when the power goes out? And doesn't come back on? Those stupid books are going to come in handy. Too bad no one will be able to write any new ones because people don't actually write anymore--they only know how to type.

"What's wrong with my HAND?!?! It hurts! I can't stretch it out! OW!"

"Yeah, that's called a cramp, man. It happens when you actually write things down with a pen for a little while."

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

If the power goes out, and does not come back on? Well, it's safe to say that people will adapt, just as they have to the abundance of power that is available to people now. I'd bet that will would take over in that scenario,and that writers cramp would fall to a level of not being relevant to the big picture at hand, if the lights were to go out.... "pun intended."

I wouldn't advise not learning to read a compass or how to properly hunt and gather essentials to live. But, writing? I fail to find a high relevancy of writing in survival skills.

Besides, you're holding the pen incorrectly if you get writers cramp at all! Maybe there is a proper pen holding technique on the interwebs for you to learn a more comfortable pen holding position?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ttobban

I know this experiment will greatly help decide on how I will choose for my children to be educated. I'd almost be willing to state that a child that has only a public school education, with no direction of their own, will be left behind in regards to smarts and intellect.

Thanks for your time, and Enjoy!

In the past or in the future "only a public school education" is a prescription for failure. There's no such thing as "only a public school education". It's the job of the school to teach a given curriculum, it's the job of the parents to supplement that education based on the individual child and what goals they have.

The school isn't there to raise the kids, it's there to provide them with a basic education, it's up to the parents to augment that education. 99% of the time, if the child is a failure, it's not the fault of the school at all, regardless of what the parents want to claim. The PARENT is responsible for raising the children, the school is there as a support structure, not the primary structure.

Of course with some of the lousy excuses for parents out there today, that's not always the case.

Ever try training new employees? Imagine what those teachers have to deal with day to day with a whole room full of some of those idiots.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kthxbai

I couldn't agree with you more... there have been signs on the wall for years that indicated a long term hindrance to pushing the levels of intelligence in our youth. It's apparent you understand the importance of a parents guidance and that guidance's reflection on education. High divorce rates and poor parenting still leave a good portion of our nations youth vulnerable to public programs though, unfortunately. It's sad to see these innocent youth fall victim to the 'No Child Left Behind Act' or the 'Race To The Top' initiative. Parenting is the biggest deciding factor in the success and levels of education. The internet is really a good tool to help parent our youth!

I shared this video as to share an optimistic awareness to barriers the internet alone can aid in breaking through. I guess a sort of 'thank you' for the internet and for the smart forward thinking parents involvement in awareness to this most important issue!

new topics
top topics

join