It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Magic Zero' Technique Reduces Atomic Clock Uncertainty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
WOW! The NIST team is now using my kind of language. Magic, "feel", oscillating, now were getting somewhere. It seems as if the quantum field is now recognizing the ever prevalent nature of consciousness alive in everything!

Source...

The NIST-JQI team, which also includes a colleague from the University of Delaware, found a way around the problem by taking advantage of a quantum phenomenon in which all the light-shifts in atoms irradiated with certain precise wavelengths cancel each other out. In that condition, the atoms no longer “feel” the light.

So they described the atom as "feeling" the light. I find this amazing because often as i describe my own personal relationship with myself and the universe i tend to use words that describe whatever it is i am talking about as aware and conscious.

By measuring these “magic zero” wavelengths with unprecedented accuracy, the scientists were able to place tight constraints on the factors that determine the strength of the light shifts that affect two different transitions in rubidium. The technique can provide much-needed data for other atomic-clock elements, including mercury, strontium and ytterbium.

They say "magic zero", i wonder, what do they mean by magic zero? Are they really using the word magic now to describe science?

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Words are just words.
Things and events exist despite them.
1,000 years ago, simple things such as cell phones would be considered "magic".
Ourr scientific knowledge and understanding will continue to grow, and we will continue to be baffled by new discoveries.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

I think that looking at the atom as if it was alive is going to be a progressive movement in science if its not already.

I think just that alone give me faith in our science community. I dont know though because i just read around the internet kind of randomly. I personally look at everything as if it is conscious.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
So they described the atom as "feeling" the light. I find this amazing because often as i describe my own personal relationship with myself and the universe i tend to use words that describe whatever it is i am talking about as aware and conscious.

They say "magic zero", i wonder, what do they mean by magic zero? Are they really using the word magic now to describe science?
Yopu're twisting words to mean what you want them to mean. "Feel" in this context is related to "experience" which can be defined as "the fact or state of having been affected by participation" as in "the rocket experiences acceleration" or you could say informally that the rocket "feels" the g-forces, and note "feel" is in quotes, which clearly indicate it's not attempting to suggest a state of consciousness. Similarly you can say atoms "feel" heat, without implying any consciousness.

Here is the original link, and they don't use the word "magic", that was Trey Porto trying to dumb it down who called it that:

Quantum Thermodynamics A better understanding of how atoms soak up their surroundings
So to answer your question, no, the original link does not use the word "magic", and even in your NIST link the word paper is titled: "Precision Measurement of Transition Matrix Elements via Light Shift Cancellation", so "cancellation" is the science speak for "zero".

So feel free to keep describing your own experiences in terns of awareness and consciousness, but please don't make the suggestion that scientists are implying atoms have consciousness. That's a gross misinterpretation of "feel" even if it's not in quotes, and when it's in quotes, well, do you know what that means?

new topics

top topics

join