It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Announces Brown Dwarf Entering our Solar System

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
One might think that the lamestream media might have kept an eye on this particular headline from August 2011. Since CNN has not redacted the story as a mistake, one would have to infer that that the story simply fell off their radar, or... The Government has a forced media blackout on the subject. Either way, could explain the increasing number of comets, asteroids and meteors lately in 2013...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Who on ATS has ever seen a Brown Dwarf?
Caution think twice check *your* phone book.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Here's your video...

I'll leave it up to others to judge it...

Feel free to U2U me for directions how to embed the vids on your own.

peace

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
And this is a bad thing I assume if it is true?

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Next up is finding The Independant story, I'm looking. The last I did hear though, was that it was a theoretical observation.

www.independent.co.uk...
edit on 10-3-2013 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

From the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy:
Nemesis is a myth

Now a new analysis by Coryn Bailer-Jones from the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy (MPIA) shows those simple periodic patterns to be statistical artifacts. His results indicate either that the Earth is as likely to suffer a major impact now as it was in the past, or that there has been a slight increase impact rate events over the past 250 million years

I think it is highly unlikely. But I'm not an astronomer.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Dude... Title... Sensational... Misleading... Just...No. No no no. You're a horrible person

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
here is the original CNN story:
news.blogs.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Just Google the thread title and you know right away where this BS is originating from.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
And CNN is a credible source of astronomy news since when?...

The CNN article used this as the source of their story: www.independent.co.uk...

All that happened was that two British astrophysicists put forward a hypothesis that explains, according to them, the unusual orbits of some comets.

Professors Matese and Whitmire first proposed the existence of Tyche to explain why many of these long-period comets were coming from the wrong direction. In their latest paper, published in the February issue of Icarus, the international journal of solar system studies, they report that more than 20 per cent too many of the long-period comets observed since 1898 arrive from a band circling the sky at a higher angle than predicted by the galactic-tide theory.

But, it's nothing more than a hypothesis, and nothing has been found or proven to exist. Of course, the conspiracy nuts are only happy to jump on this bandwagon and make misleading posts.
edit on 10-3-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by nighthawk1954
One might think that the lamestream media might have kept an eye on this particular headline from August 2011. Since CNN has not redacted the story as a mistake, one would have to infer that that the story simply fell off their radar, or... The Government has a forced media blackout on the subject.

Or, it was just plain wrong.

Which is more likely given the total and absolute absence of any brown dwarf star in our solar system at the moment?

The fact is, the lamestream media frequently publish rubbish, made up, stories or else competely misconstrue real stories - through ibornance and more often through a desire to create sensational stories to increase sales.

Don't believe what the media tell you - think for yourself and always check sources. The media are not there to inform or educate, they exist to make money. Nothing more.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
The mass of a Brown Dwarf is much larger than Jupiter or Earth. It would take a long time for the gravitational effects to pull Earth into old Jup so any implied immanence is misleading unless...

The laws of physics are about to change, EG a constant like big G is going to suddenly revise itself.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3n19m470
Dude... Title... Sensational... Misleading... Just...No. No no no. You're a horrible person

I could go someway with that.The CNN story is sensationalist, although still confirms nothing other than "it is thought" If you read the Independant link, the story is the same, unconfirmed at the time of writing, in fact this year is the time for a result one way or the other, from the information gathered by WISE, and further independant observations. To add CNN actually says "Evidence is mounting"
edit on 10-3-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Well, this comet that is coming is supposed to be fifteen times brighter than the full moon. Is it really a comet? If they tell us it is a comet they know the knowledge they have given us will steer our perception to make it appear to be a comet. A small icy exoplanet coming it would also contain ice crystals and have the same appearance as a comet as it moved through. Our knowledge steers our perception. Geologists see rocks as rocks and try to identify what the rock is made of and do not see the carved shape easily. A doctor cannot usually comprehend that religious healing or herbal cures do work, they believe what they are taught.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Exactly right! 2012 was going to be the end for us all. So why not throw the ol dwarf planet is coming run, hide under the mountains its the only way you'll survive plot in there. Cnn is a joke. They're all jokes. But more so msnbc nd cnn. If cnn reported it yea I wouldn't bank on it.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
Just Google the thread title and you know right away where this BS is originating from.

The story about Tyche is from The Independant originally, CNN and BIN just chose to sensationalise it. No, matter the findings have yet to be confirmed.

This is the paper's opening page The Independant based its story on,

arxiv.org...

The theory goes back decades.
edit on 10-3-2013 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Well, this comet that is coming is supposed to be fifteen times brighter than the full moon. Is it really a comet? If they tell us it is a comet they know the knowledge they have given us will steer our perception to make it appear to be a comet. A small icy exoplanet coming it would also contain ice crystals and have the same appearance as a comet as it moved through. Our knowledge steers our perception. Geologists see rocks as rocks and try to identify what the rock is made of and do not see the carved shape easily. A doctor cannot usually comprehend that religious healing or herbal cures do work, they believe what they are taught.

Get in touch with some amateur astronomers, learn what they do and how they work. Get a telescope and astrophotography equipment yourself, and study the comet with your own eyes. If it's indeed a planetoid, it would be thousands of km in diameter and very massive, compared to a comet. Sooner or later, the amateur astronomers would be able to tell that it's a planetoid.

There is no "them" in astronomy. Everyone can participate in this field and make their own discoveries. Just remember that those discoveries must be confirmed by other astronomers.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by nighthawk1954
One might think that the lamestream media might have kept an eye on this particular headline from August 2011. Since CNN has not redacted the story as a mistake, one would have to infer that that the story simply fell off their radar, or... The Government has a forced media blackout on the subject. Either way, could explain the increasing number of comets, asteroids and meteors lately in 2013...

www.youtube.com...

That's really freaky as my dream today I saw that exact planet even same colour how weird is that. I saw the planet go past didn't affect any of our gravity so no doom scenario lol

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join