It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth gets a rush of weekend asteroid visitors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I think this is the correct forum. Mods please feel free to this thread if not.

It seems to me that earth is almost under attack at the moment, not in the aliens are trying to get us way; but these asteroids are getting bigger and closer.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla., March 9 - An asteroid as big as a city block shot relatively close by the Earth on Saturday, the latest in a series of visiting celestial objects including an asteroid the size of a bus that exploded over Russia last month, injuring 1,500.

The scary part of this one is that it's something we didn't even know about," Patrick Paolucci, president of Slooh Space Camera, said during a webcast featuring live images of the asteroid from a telescope in the Canary Islands. Moving at a speed of about 26,000 miles per hour, the asteroid could have wiped out a large city if it had impacted the Earth, added Slooh telescope engineer Paul Cox.

Two other small asteroids, both about the size of the Russian meteor, will also be in Earth's neighborhood this weekend. Asteroid 2013 EC 20 passed just 93,000 miles away on Saturday - "a stone's thrown," said Cox. On Sunday, Asteroid 2013 EN 20 will fly about 279,000 miles from Earth. Both were discovered just three days ago. "We know that the solar system is a busy place," said Cox.

It could just be that we have a better knowledge of how to look now, and more people are interested so more are reporting.

It just seems strange that is so much happening out there recently.

The source is here

Cody

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Yes I would like to know whether this is something that has dramatically increased or because we are now able to detect them more? Before the Internet I realise I would not have such easy access to such information so would never have known, something obviously true for all of us. Also far more people are sky watching due to the relatively low price of telescopes, vastly increasing the chance of spotting them.

Any of our resident experts have any information about this?

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
We are actively looking for them now, where in the past we weren't..

So its hard to say if there are more or it's just we didn't see them before.

Also cold war secrets would mean we wouldn't announce anything picked up by our radar stations so scientists and astronomers would likely never to have heard about some of these big rocks coming in so close unless they observed them.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Any of our resident experts have any information about this?
reply to post by Psychoparrot

Let's hope so
I think I've got a lot to learn about this

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Here is an interesting, up to date visual of what is out there.

www.hohmanntransfer.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

That's brilliant
Thank you

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I don't think that its that we are detecting them better or that more ppl are watching the skies. There has has always been astronomers and scientist watching the skies, always. I mean ppl have watched the skies since man was created. Though they didn't have telescopes of course. But now you have huge powerful telescopes in all the countries like Russia, China, and Australia. So basically the whole sky is covered. And they have ppl watching the skies 24/7, 365 days a yr. No these events are growing in number and will continue to do so. More meteors could be right around the corner. I know more meteors will be sighted by ppl in the comings days and months. That's a giving. But when they start getting bigger and bigger and blowing up over cities then it can no longer be considered normal and just an occasional event. Yea I'll give you the fact that meteors are being better detected and documented until like I said they start getting bigger and exploding and slamming into the planet. For example, the other day is when I heard on fox news about the asteroid that was going to whiz by earth. But now its two. See how fast that changed? Just in a day and a half if that. I think we're going to see an increase in solar flares as well. Now I know solar flares happen everyday and are somewhat common. But they're not so common when they're huge and headed straight for earth. Now I may be wrong and I hope I am. I mean I'm not saying we're going to get slammed by an enormous asteroid or solar flare. For goodness sake I've got two small children I don't want anything bad to happen. I want to see my kids grow up too. All I'm saying is is that there will be an increase in these types of events. How they play out is uncertain cause nobody knows. I mean you here scientist say all the time "its not a matter of if it will happen but when". Welcome to the new normal of daily life I guess. I guess I can handle asteroids whizzing by earth wicked fast so long as they don't take earth with them.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I think as usual, there are a combination of factors involved.
We have better equipment and technology to scan the skies with.
We have more of that equipment.
We have learned how to look, and what to look for.
Access to that information is not only more readily available, but more people know they can access that data.

We are only beginning to discover that the universe doesn't just sit there and look pretty. It, and everything in it, is on the move. And we are now realizing our neck of the woods is a hell of a lot busier than we ever knew it was.

In my opinion, it isn't a matter of if we ever get hit by the big one. It's a matter of when. It could be tomorrow, or it could be another 100,000 years. But eventually it will happen. The planets in our own solar system are evidence of that.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Do people really want to know that an asteroid is going to destroy their city shortly before it does?

I find that somewhat disturbing.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The numbers aren't that out of synch with what I have noted in the past just the whole Russian incident has brought them to attention more

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma
Do people really want to know that an asteroid is going to destroy their city shortly before it does?

I find that somewhat disturbing.

If there was enough time to get out of the city before it hit I'd damn well want to know.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by PheonixReborn

It seems that there isn't enough time though. The 3ussian one wasn't even noticed until it went Kaboom.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

We have better equipment and technology to scan the skies with. We have more of that equipment. We have learned how to look, and what to look for. Access to that information is not only more readily available, but more people know they can access that data.
reply to post by Klassified

I still find it scary to an extent that we only 'see' these objects 3 to 6 days before they effect us, the russian one was straight from the blind side as far as I'm aware

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
There's just too many asteroids whizzing towards earth. I mean if it was a common event in the past for an asteroid or asteroids to be hurtling towards our planet I'm sure they would've found those too right? They did have all these powerful telescopes back say 5, 10 yrs ago. And to my knowledge I can't recall this many asteroids zooming by all in the same yr or month at least in the past 5 yrs. And then you stack the meteor sightings and the meteor exploding over Russia on top of that and well its hard to label that as ordinary or a coincedence. Maybe I'm wrong maybe I'm not.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
x-37b and likes should be out there checking them out and removing them from paths. Some fragments might make it through still and so then ground/sea/air based equipment's would be needed to further deteriorate before impacts.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Yes VR training way back then...

@:11 sec

edit on 3/10/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I would venture to say since the Russian meteorite, we have more people looking up now, hence, the more we find. I think with this being "The Year of the Comets" we will probably see more, as these space bodies travel with companions it has picked up due to their gravity. There a few threads on here discussing these things.

But the more I hear about these things, I can't help to think of Billy Bob Thorton saying " These are the size of buses and Volkswagons." Well we know how the movie turned out. This will be an interesting year for sure.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
Yes VR training way back then...

@:11 sec

edit on 3/10/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

It's O.K. people I was an expert pilot back in the day

All's well

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
It seems to me that earth is almost under attack at the moment

How do you know that it hasn't always been this way?

We have, after all, only just developed the technology that allows us to see what is really out there.

A bit like someone who has been blind from birth being cured, and exclaiming, "where did all these trees, buildings, clouds, and animals come from?!"... they were always there of course.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join