It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reincarnation and the "Little Deaths"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Very insightful thread and the delivery approaches perfection. I can tell you put a lot of thought into this and I found myself hoping the OP would never end.

In 2010, I had a very vivid dream in which I gained access to a large golden book with holographic pages. I literally dove into the book and it contained a record of my previous lives. There was no time limit on how long I could explore. It seemed like an eternity. Although I didn't bring any specific memory of a past life back with me from this dream, I cannot describe the gratitude I felt for having had this experience. When I awoke from this dream, hardly any time had passed. I walked up and down the beach until dawn weeping in appreciation.

This happened while camping right on the ocean. I had been strongly compelled to camp as close to the water as possible. This was during a time of great changes in my life, but that's a long story.

Anyway, on the way back from the beach I was drawn to a battlefield a good deal out of the way. While walking around the footpath and reading all the placards and memorials, I was suddenly drawn out of my body. I was a soldier and we were being ambushed. A bullet had hit me in the neck and as I lay there fading out of consciousness, I came back into my real body again.

So yes I am a proponent of reincarnation.

An excellent book on the subject is Destiny of Souls by Michael Newton, Ph.D. He is a master hypnotherapist and there are 67 case studies stitched together in this book which aligns very well with what I have experienced.

S&F easily.
edit on 11/3/2013 by htapath because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I enjoyed this post, as anytime something has made me look at things from a new or different perspective. I'm not a religious person in the traditional sense, but the importance of living each day new and whole cannot be understated even for the logical and scientific mind. Perhaps I should strive more consciously to do so regardless of whether reincarnation is a real phenomenon or not. Sometimes there are things to think about, and every once in a while there are things to really consider and reflect upon, the way you presented this makes me lean towards the later. Good Job.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I am 58...I have very very few memories from when I was less than 10 years old, and the very few I have more resemble a splice of video...just a few moments in time.

My earliest memory, oddly enough, seems to place me in my crib. I remember my grandmother coming in and lovingly scolding me for something I was doing. Someone in a crib should not remember understanding this...think about it. I apparently fully understood what was going on.

Or...this memory is totally false (except that it has remained my earliest memory as far back as I can remember) haha

I think most of the analogies above regarding cycles of life are not entirely applicable to reincarnation, however. Once we die, our remains will contribute in some form or other to other life, or not-life (worms or perhaps just petrify and become stone) much as star matter becomes something else, perhaps contributing to the rebirth of another star, but yet, not the same star.

The question becomes: does our consciousness become reborn, into another body,previous memories temporarily or permanently forgotten.

I have often maintained that our spirit, or soul, or consciousness (however you wish to describe it) is the stuff that would be reincarnated and indeed, if Adam and Eve were the first 2...they would have been the first 2 with a spirit/soul/consciousness. The people that lived in the Land of Nod were other human-like beings that did not have souls/spirits/consciousness.

While we are at it: Read Genesis, in light of modern theory, and then (provided you have an open mind) totally freak out as Genesis and modern cosmological and evolutionary theory are practically one and the same.

The order of creation of the cosmos in Genesis pretty much describes the Big Bang Theory. The order of creation of life on earth describes evolution (creatures of the sea, followed by creatures of the land, followed by birds etc, culminating in the creation of Man).

I have always, once I saw it, found Genesis to be rather mind-blowing....

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
There are 4 words that have carried me through much of my life: "Don't worry, be happy." These were the last words spoken by an Indian saint who took a lifetime vow of silence.

It really does make a lot of sense. Really, what is there to worry about? Don't be so attached to things that you are inflexible to different outcomes. Every river leads to the sea as long as you're not fighting to swim back upstream. Just kick back and go with the flow, making course corrections when and where you can (what the Taoists call Wu Wei.)

I appreciate your positive attitude! Such one-liners like "Don't worry, be happy", "Go with flow.", etc., can provide a daily reminder of living a better life in any given moment.

However, the typical interpretation of what "going with the flow" means is being surrendered to whatever is arising and taking it in stride. But isn't this going with the flow exactly what keeps us stuck in this endless pattern - life after life after life? The flow IS the endlessly replicating pattern! Of course, if such phrases are used in conjunction with real spiritual practice, then they can be useful in terms of reminding the aspirant of the Happiness of Reality beyond conditions.

Reincarnation is fascinating in many ways, especially to us westerners who were not brought up in a culture in which this was simply accepted. It is perhaps even more consoling if you were brought up believing that when you die you are dead. However, endless incarnations are not a consolation for many people, especially in the east - where many of them have been extremely impoverished, even starving and suffering greatly for centuries. From this viewpoint, various ways out of this difficult world were developed - some authentic in terms of going beyond the endless cycle of gross physical incarnations, etc. - and some not so authentic.

One of the posted videos about reincarnation spoke about how the soul evolves, etc., at varying degrees from lifetime to lifetime. It was presented as though it was a consolation of some kind. Is this really a consolation? Shouldn't this simple understanding deeply move a person to transcend this endless replication of patterning, if at all possible? Why would we want to live, have some pleasurable moments, but mainly suffer, then die, along with everyone we fall in love with doing the same - life after life after life?

Once we are convicted that reincarnation is the case, that the mind in terms of what is beyond the physical brain does not die - doesn't this understanding also deepen the impulse to realize what is the Reality we actually are arising in altogether?

edit on 11-3-2013 by bb23108 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
The transfer of energy/resource is what reincarnation is...

The word reincarnation was created and adopted by religion and, I think, misinterpreted by today's society from how it was first understood hundreds if not thousands of years ago.

The miss interpretation is this; You don't "come back".

You will die and you will rot/burn. However your corpse is disposed of it will get recycled into the ground, air or sea. This in my eyes is what reincarnation is. Unfortunately the word reincarnation itself has been made out to be more appealing than it probably is.

The energy in my body, if I have a sea burial, will be transferred into the water in order to support further life being created be it; Plankton, Fish, Coral or other microbial bacteria.

The energy in my body, if I am cremated, will be transferred into the air. My ashes may land on the ground as a basic fertilizer to help plant-life grow. It may float around in the sky thousands of feet up for bugs to feed on... what ever.

The energy in my body, if I am buried, will be transferred into the ground and nourish the plant-life and insects that devour me

I'm sure if you told a Monk, who is in tune with nature, that he was going to be spread around to help support new life but wouldn't actually become another person/animal, as such, he would be fine with that.
On the other hand if you told a new age Christian that believes reincarnation "coming back" was not as they understood it, and they would just be spread about they would probably just argue that you are wrong because they like the fantasy of living again...or before over and over. Fundamentally you will go on living over and over, you just probably won't "experience" it.

~ CrzayFool

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bb23108
However, the typical interpretation of what "going with the flow" means is being surrendered to whatever is arising and taking it in stride. But isn't this going with the flow exactly what keeps us stuck in this endless pattern - life after life after life? The flow IS the endlessly replicating pattern!

Hmm, well I interpret these little axioms to mean "Hey, fix what you can--accept what you can't; either way, stop complaining,keep your spirits up, enjoy the view." I think that's very wise, and that is true liberation. I think fighting against the currents, trying to swim back upstream, is what keeps us stuck and stagnant.

It's a little bit like the serenity prayer, no?

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

It's all just a metaphor though...until you put it into practice.

edit on 11-3-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by crzayfool

Hmm, okay I can see that...the Great Circle of Life as depicted in The Lion King. I gotcha. It makes sense. And it really can't be disputed that this complex cycle is in motion.

But I'm not sure that's how the reincarnation-believing societies interpreted it. There are many examples of avatars in the East who reincarnate into different bodies. Same souls, different bodies. This is pretty much how its been laid out, taught, and understood.

Does that mean it's correct? Not necessarily. But I don't think they were trying to say something like, "Oh, Rama's body got turned into worm food that helped give nutrients to the soil which grows the grass which feeds the cow that gives milk to the human that killed the cat that ate the rat in the house that Krishna was born in and that's how reincarnation works!"

I see what you're saying, and like I said, The Great Circle of Life can't be disputed. But I think reincarnation is a little more literal and direct than that. Hence the avatar concept: same soul descends again into a different physical body. I'm pretty sure someone was able to communicate this idea to someone else in that culture no problem. I don't think there was much room for misinterpretation or lost translation. Just me speculating again though.

edit on 11-3-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
Hmm, well I interpret these little axioms to mean "Hey, fix what you can--accept what you can't; either way, stop complaining,keep your spirits up, enjoy the view." I think that's very wise, and that is true liberation. I think fighting against the currents, trying to swim back upstream, is what keeps us stuck and stagnant.
But isn't the actual flow exactly the same as the pattern endlessly replicating itself? I didn't mean that one should try and swim against the flow - that will not be effective, just more of the same life struggle.

Direct and immediate recognition of the Reality in which all patterns arise is the only way to actually transcend this machine of birth, struggle, suffering, and death - in each and every moment. Then a different "destiny" is possible. Other than that, our flow is just going to keep on flowing the way it has been forever, basically. Yeah, perhaps with some evolution, but how many lifetimes is that? How many thousands upon thousands of lifetimes have we already lived here and elsewhere?

P.S. Good response to crzay fool.
edit on 11-3-2013 by bb23108 because:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by crzayfool
The transfer of energy/resource is what reincarnation is...

The word reincarnation was created and adopted by religion and, I think, misinterpreted by today's society from how it was first understood hundreds if not thousands of years ago.

The miss interpretation is this; You don't "come back".

You will die and you will rot/burn. However your corpse is disposed of it will get recycled into the ground, air or sea. This in my eyes is what reincarnation is. Unfortunately the word reincarnation itself has been made out to be more appealing than it probably is.

The energy in my body, if I have a sea burial, will be transferred into the water

Interestingly I am reading a few books on NDEs and afterlife right now, and the evidence that consciousness is separate and can exist without brain is OVERWHELMING. And I say that as a rationalist.

Explain to me so called "death bed experiences", a myriad of NDEs and reincarnation reports and similar.
If you haven't read into that subject I recommend you do. You can start with some very excellent books here:

www.amazon.com...=s r_ntt_srch_lnk_8?qid=1361645590&sr=1-8]HERE

As someone said, to prove that white horses exist it only needs ONE white horse.

edit on 11-3-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by KatieVA
I really, really enjoyed reading this!

It's like when you have a dream - and as soon as you wake up, you can remember every detail of the dream but when you try to remember it later on in the day, it's completely gone from your memory. I wonder if reincarnation is like that? Which may explain why supposedly, very young children remember details from their past lives but then forget as they grow older. It fascinates me!

There have been a few instances in my life where I've been convinced that I've been here before. For instance, when I met someone for the first time who has been a very influential person in my life (when they were in it - we have no communication now). Literally the first thing I thought as soon as I saw him was, "oh. it's you.
"...with an overwhelming feeling we'd known each other before, and not in a positive way.

Since becoming a mother - I've always wondered if the reason why some babies are born so placid and calm and others are hard to settle, irritable, clingy etc - could be because of how peaceful/traumatic their previous life had been? It makes a lot of sense to me.

If everything else in existence is just cycles and patterns, and we are part of that everything, then it must apply to us as well.

I think the OP is on to something here. nice post.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by IceHappy

edited to say I am ready for the reset only afraid of dying... LoL came close so many times in the past n now scared it will hurt... wot a pus I R - Chronic pain over time will do that.. Guess I am now waiting on God! Tired with not much left to give.....
edit on 3/11/2013 by IceHappy because: edited to say I am ready for the reset only afraid of dying... LoL came close so many times in the past n now scared it will hurt... wot a pus I R Chronic pain over time will do that...

I just feel like giving you a big, big hug. It's all gonna be fine.
You know, if you think of it this way ... if reincarnation is true it means you have lived a lot of times before and died a lot of times too and still you came back to do it all over again. Maybe that means the process inbetween isn't so nad at all ... extra DIV

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid
I became convinced about reincarnation last year after I realized that counterfeit religion is all one huge lie.

When I began to see that reincarnation was connected to false religions, that's when I knew that it was just another ploy to mislead people away from the truth.
My question to you, then, is: to what end? If you deconstruct selfish, fear-based ideas, you will find that they all have an end. I'll give you a couple of examples:

"Satan wants to mislead me from the truth, but God wants to save me with the truth" implies many underlying ideas, most importantly that the volition of the omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, omnibenevolent entity, a.k.a. the Supreme Being, can be thwarted. But there's the rub. If its will can be thwarted, then it is not by any means omnipotent. The 'goal' of the entity pushing this "weak God" idea is that you would chase your tail forever.

"Counterfeit religions promulgate the idea of reincarnation being real" implies none too subtly that there is at least one "True religion". Since all religions deal with the scenario of mankind being broken and in need of salvation, this statement also implies that the Supreme Being's will can be thwarted, thus the 'end' is the same.

Why do so many religious people have so little faith in their God that they believe "His" will can be thwarted? Is not God a god of order and not chaos? Is not God the very source of existence? Who's running things, after all? Why do men imagine a world in which they are the unwilling prey of a spiritual predator who has license to rip them to shreds for all eternity unless they are lucky enough to discover "True religion"? I'll tell you why: it's because the very fear produced by entertaining such a notion is FOOD to an ACTUAL spiritual predator who feeds and feasts on mankind all day, every day, because men choose fear over trust. The 'ruling elite' of this world love it when you choose not to trust Source. However, when you decide to stop feeding this predator, it has no choice but to go looking for easier pickings, since it has no power or strength of its own. It exists as a shadow. It is our worthy opponent in this game. Look past the fear and unmask the real "enemy". It's much closer than you think.

"Why would Satan bother coming up with a big lie about reincarnation? What's the point?"

Mankind has an innate desire to commune with God. It is in our nature, because God put it there. Satan will use any means available to lead people away from God. He doesn't have to get people to believe there is no god, he simply has to get them to not believe in the Christian God. A simple way for him to do this is with counterfeit religious experiences such as "reincarnation past-lives."

Reincarnation -- Satan's Second-Biggest Lie

Seriously? You're going to invoke the idea of a monolithic "Christian God"? Here? Come now, you surely know that the (duality-based) God that the snake handlers worship is a world away from the (duality-based) God that the Episcopal Church promotes. To attempt to reconcile them is to court insanity. Source: years of personal experience, and losing friends to theological madness.

Hinduism, Buddhism, and New Age beliefs are deceptions.

Through Hinduism and Buddhism, and their core belief of karma and reincarnation, Satan has deceived many people into accepting and believing that by doing good works, a person would qualify to have his spirit elevated from one lifetime to the next in order to eventually reach a state of spiritual ‘enlightenment’.

I believe even rational and logical thinking persons can choose to believe in ‘reincarnation’. This is because they have been deceived by demonic spirits. They are rendered blind to reason and logic regarding spiritual matters.

Through Hinduism and Buddhism, Satan and his fellow demonic spirits have deceived many generations of people in large parts of the world into unwittingly allowing their bodies and souls to be possessed. This permits the demonic spirits to 'reincarnate' in them serially.

Satan inspired Hinduism and Buddhism with the core beliefs of Karma and reincarnation.
The concept of reincarnation has been debunked by the concept of demonic spirit possession explaining all the ‘evidence’ proffered for reincarnation.
Hence reincarnation is a lie and Hinduism, Buddhism, and New Age beliefs are deceptions. They bear the signature of Satan. Source

The above is poorly-written conjecture. Here's a tip for you: "Satan" can use anything in your mind to twist the truth. Any fact or piece of evidence can be "the signature of Satan"

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Salutations,

After many years following this site I came along this incredible thread that has compelled me to offer my thoughts and opinions on Reincarnation.

I to have looked to nature and found and seen many of the cycles that make me feel that nature when managing the soul (as an energy) wouldn’t just waist such an amazing unique entity. Making me strongly suspect that the soul will be at the very least re invented. Looking at the bigger picture Good and Evil could be just forces that are inherent in the cycle. Meaning without good there couldn’t be evil and without light there couldn’t be darkness so our souls may be predisposed to balance the spiritual equilibrium. The below by Andy Weir, and apologies if this is already included in this quite lengthy thread really helped me get my head around my believes and I share it hoping it inspires and reassures:

www.galactanet.com...

let me know your thoughts on this wonderful short story

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I know that these comments aren't going to sit well with some, but I'm not here to win a popularity contest. This is the age of knowing. Believing something, regardless of how significant or small it may be, is comparable to sucking on a pacifier. While a belief may offer some measure of comfort and degrees of perceived security, this does not change what is and what is not.

We can read volumes of information on any given subject, and the healthy way to retain said information is to hold it in consideration. To believe ANYTHING is, in my view, potentially setting ourselves up for a fall. The ability to attain and discern the ultimate truths in regards to the nature of the 'great mystery of life' lies within each of us.

The path of least resistance is the easy way to go, but we all should know by now that anything worth having doesn't come easily. Acquiring knowledge and wisdom does not happen accidentally. That being said, I certainly don't claim to be all knowing and I struggle just like any other human. While it would be foolish to disregard the advise and wisdom imparted to us from those who have tread upon the path before us, we must recognize our own divinity and the fact that everything changes.

What was considered the truth a century, decade, year, or even a week ago may not be at all applicable here and now. This is a time of transition, and the time for belief has been left in the dust.

Healthy debate is never a bad thing. But throwing our beliefs around like daggers is never a good thing. This isn't aimed at anyone or any idea in particular. I just felt that this needed to be included in the discussion of such a broad topic on which this thread has so eloquently touched.

I will climb down from my soapbox now. Thank you for reading, and I urge you not to believe anything I've written here.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by htapath

A good reminder, indeed. We are force fed beliefs from everywhere all our lives. I do agree with you that being set in a belief can create an obstacle to real consideration and the actual determination of what is truth. However, if someone has concluded that something is true based on real consideration, then to allow it to inform their lives is appropriate. As such, it does not need to be believed - just like the sun coming up in the morning, it just is the case.

Originally posted by htapath
The ability to attain and discern the ultimate truths in regards to the nature of the 'great mystery of life' lies within each of us.

This sounds like something you believe? I don't believe that Reality is realized within us, nor outside of us. Reality is beyond such distinctions. These body-minds arise in Reality and such distinctions of inside and outside are of no relevance to Reality Itself - only to our point-view-making brain-minds. But as you already know, this has to be discovered to be true, not just believed.

What was considered the truth a century, decade, year, or even a week ago may not be at all applicable here and now.
True enough about scientific discovery, various conditional manifestations, etc. - but is this true of Reality Itself? Is this true of reincarnation?

I urge you not to believe anything I've written here.

LOL! But should I believe this statement is true? Just kidding.

Thank you for your well-considered post.

edit on 12-3-2013 by bb23108 because:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

What was considered the truth a century, decade, year, or even a week ago may not be at all applicable here and now. This is a time of transition, and the time for belief has been left in the dust.

Healthy debate is never a bad thing. But throwing our beliefs around like daggers is never a good thing. This isn't aimed at anyone or any idea in particular.

The "truth" of last centuries was materialism, which has PROVEN to be wrong by latest science, most importantly quantum theory.

It is important to realize that "science materialism". If I say I am a "scientific guy" and I look at things from a scientific point of view, I can very well "believe" in things like dualism and in addition even know that dualism (separation of consciousness/brain) makes more sense than believing in a strict materialism where it is assumed consciousness/soul is only a product of the physical functions of the brain.

Short: If someone doesn't believe in reincarnation, separate consciousness etc. they are ALSO just trapped in a belief system, and actually one which is long outdated

As for reincarnation and whatever related experiences and coming to a conclusion, for me it's not a matter of blindly "believing" but going with the evidence. As I said earlier, the evidence that consciousness is separate from the brain is overwhelming, meaning that "believing" in reincarnation etc. is more scientific than going the materialistic route and rejecting the idea DESPITE the evidence.
edit on 12-3-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bb23108

The sun coming up tomorrow is a good and oft used example. If the sun indeed does NOT come up tomorrow, i.e. life ends, am I ready? I am, and I don't assume for one minute that the sun will in fact rise for me tomorrow. Am I ready for the sun to come up tomorrow? Yes I have made preparations for that as well, since I have water and food for tomorrow as an example. Whether or not I believe the sun will rise tomorrow has no effect on the outcome, short of me taking my own life or some other extreme like gouging out my eyes out or hiding in a box.

This sounds like something you believe? I don't believe that Reality is realized within us, nor outside of us. Reality is beyond such distinctions. These body-minds arise in Reality and such distinctions of inside and outside are of no relevance to Reality Itself - only to our point-view-making brain-minds. But as you already know, this has to be discovered to be true, not just believed.

I cannot offer you proofs, nor do I think that you would expect them. There is no substitute for knowing, and I will leave it at that. While there are certainly some aspects of reality that cannot be known from our current perspective, this does not diminish what we have the ability to know, and ease the burden shall we say.

True enough about scientific discovery, various conditional manifestations, etc. - but is this true of Reality Itself? Is this true of reincarnation?

The only constant is all encompassing change.

Thank you for the intelligent exchange bb 23108. To see through the eyes of many is a great teacher, and we are all students in this regard.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ByronUK

First, welcome aboard! It's always an honor when someone signs up to ATS prompted by one of my threads.

Second, thanks for that interesting story. It was a good, little read. I especially like the denouement:

“Every time you victimized someone,” I said, “you were victimizing yourself. Every act of kindness you’ve done, you’ve done to yourself. Every happy and sad moment ever experienced by any human was, or will be, experienced by you.”

www.galactanet.com...

The story does pose some interesting questions. The one that struck me is that we're all the same "soul," divided into many parts. Is this what is meant by oneness? non-duality? The Golden Rule? I am that? That is the epitome of enlightenment. Oh, what a world it would be if we all realized we are parts of the same organism, the same being. But sometimes, organisms develop diseases: cancers, auto-immune attacks etc. Is social disease, hatred, war etc. simply caused by our own inability to see the wholeness of our planet?
edit on 12-3-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Believing something, regardless of how significant or small it may be, is comparable to sucking on a pacifier. .

This may be true. But, I think the crux here is that some believe, but aren't willing to adjust their beliefs when evidence points to the contrary; they cling to their so-called pacifier. I have beliefs, but I don't write them in stone. I am willing to change my outlook. After all, isn't a belief just a little like a hypothesis? It is the first step of the scientific method. If my belief doesn't hold up to the data, then the belief must be revised. There actually is data on the subject of reincarnation, as many other posters have pointed to various case studies. You can't say there is no qualitative data on the subject. Are these case studies conclusive? No, not for many. That is why we continue to discuss the belief.

Hypothesis-

a proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation (working hypothesis) or accepted as highly probable in the light of established facts.

dictionary.reference.com...
The difference here is that reincarnation is not really an observable phenomenon. We just have to go based on, well, belief, and the testimonials, and case studies of others. Is this observation or fantasy? Hard for me to say. It's a fine line in this case.

To believe ANYTHING is, in my view, potentially setting ourselves up for a fall.

Only if you're rigid in your beliefs and not willing to change them. But if you're set in your beliefs, you're not setting yourself up for anything because you probably won't acknowledge when your belief has been invalidated (not that I recommend the latter approach at all.)

But throwing our beliefs around like daggers is never a good thing.

Okay, this makes sense and I see what you're saying about haphazardly perpetuating ignorance. That's not what this site is about, right? But I think most of us here are mature enough to discuss it without getting wounded.

Thanks for your post, by the way. Indeed we do walk a tightrope when dealing with unsupported belief and faith. You simply have reminded us to be wary of where we step.

edit on 12-3-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

reply to post by bb23108

I cannot offer you proofs, nor do I think that you would expect them. There is no substitute for knowing, and I will leave it at that. While there are certainly some aspects of reality that cannot be known from our current perspective, this does not diminish what we have the ability to know, and ease the burden shall we say.
I did not mean to imply that knowing all kinds of things does not happen due to inner and outer processes of the body-mind. I was only talking about absolute realization of Reality Itself or real Enlightenment.

The only constant is all encompassing change.
Yes, this is true relative to conditional arising, but what about the Unconditional Reality all such changes arise in? It is beyond all change.

Thank you for the intelligent exchange bb 23108. To see through the eyes of many is a great teacher, and we are all students in this regard.

Yes, thank you also.

Oh, and my apologies, OP, this is a bit off the topic of reincarnation - although ultimately it includes it!
edit on 12-3-2013 by bb23108 because:

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join