It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whole Foods (WFM) Plans to Label All Products Disclosing GMOs by FY18

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
By 2018? Oh, joy. What a (cough) progressive thing to do for a (double cough gag) progressive company which long before that time will be forced to do this anyway by state laws and hopefully federal laws. Jeez, an applause to them (what's the sound of one hand clapping again?)

(The above brought to you from the first thread on this topic, courtesy of WholeFoods, "Where progress takes five years but we crawl there eventually")

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
I love whole goods. We have one in Cheltenham now. Even the beer is better from there :-)

Stupid auto correct.

Anyway, here in the UK gmo isn't such a huge problem yet.
Maybe with a little more government, you 'mericans wouldn't have such trouble finding veg that wasn't gmo or meat that wasn't full of hormones?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Whole Foods Is a Major Corporation that BLOWS!

In this specific case they are just saving face. They likely realize that some state they operate in will enact GMO labeling sometime in the next five years. Now they can say it was their plan all along.

The primary problem with Whole Foods is that they charge what I call a "luxury tax" on organic products. They have trained us that organic products cost more and created an environment where only those that have money can eat organic food. Yes some organic items cost more to produce, but many do not and WHOLE FOODS inflates the price either way. I only know this because I currently work on an organic farm and I am blessed to have a local Co-op whose organic prices are regularly lower than non-organic prices at other stores.

For those that are interested - In the US Organic products cannot contain GMO's. It's really the only way to know right now (look for produce that start with 9 in the sku #). It is actually illegal in the US to label something as GMO-free (wouldn't be fair to the GMO's)!!!! All the major food producing corporations have an organic brand and they are lobbying to oppose GMO labelling. Here is an easy to digest infographic to shine some light. www.cornucopia.org...

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Maybe I am naive but I'm actually shocked they HAVE GMO foods there. I thought that was the whole point of Whole Foods- to avoid the GMO, chemical-laden, processed fake junk? I thought it was supposed to be organic, natural, pesticide-free, etc.

Why am I paying $5 for a cantaloupe at that place then? WTF? My own fault for being so ignorant, obviously. lol

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
But why does it have to take 5 more years?

In fact, In California recently there was a vote on GMO Labeling, and the vote was counted Against.. .WHO/WHY would people in their right mind vote against GMO Labeling? and why is this so difficult?

Are we afraid to find out exactly how much GMO food there is?

when the vote was read i couldn't believe there could be people out there who would vote against labeling?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Maybe I am naive but I'm actually shocked they HAVE GMO foods there. I thought that was the whole point of Whole Foods- to avoid the GMO, chemical-laden, processed fake junk? I thought it was supposed to be organic, natural, pesticide-free, etc.

Why am I paying $5 for a cantaloupe at that place then? WTF? My own fault for being so ignorant, obviously. lol

This is another big problem I have with Whole Foods. They present this image of being an organic healthfood store, but they only carry a certain percent of organic produce. Then they display conventional produce ambiguously alongside organic produce so it all seems organic.

Here are the main GMO's I try to avoid -
Sugar Beets aka, white sugar (100% Cane Sugar is ok),
Corn aka high fructose corn syrup
Soybeans aka tofu, soymilk, soy sauce etc
Cooking oils (corn, soybean, canola, cottonseed, etc).
Unfortunately this means almost all pre-packaged food is suspect.....

Here is a more complete list of GMO products - seattleorganicrestaurants.com...

edit on 11-3-2013 by number47 because: clean up

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join