It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whole Foods (WFM) Plans to Label All Products Disclosing GMOs by FY18

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

www.streetinsi der.com

Whole Foods Market announced at Natural Products Expo West that, by 2018, all products in its U.S. and Canadian stores must be labeled to indicate whether they contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs). It is the first national grocery chain to set a deadline for full GMO transparency.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.naturalnews.com

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
A small victory that might catch on. GMO labeling didn't pass in California, disappointing but maybe if it cannot be national or statewide for now stores due to public interest will carry the labeling. What sparked the change was the undercover investigation noting that Whole foods sold GMO products. The in store labeling will be required by 2018.
This news is making it's way around so provided are an MSM source, as well as Alt News.

www.streetinsi der.com
edit on 9-3-2013 by dreamingawake because: sp

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake

www.streetinsi der.com

Whole Foods Market announced at Natural Products Expo West that, by 2018, all products in its U.S. and Canadian stores must be labeled to indicate whether they contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs). It is the first national grocery chain to set a deadline for full GMO transparency.

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.naturalnews.com

I'm a closet Whole Foods shopper since everybody thinks only commie liberals shop there. I think once they do this, they will be the hero that cuts across all demographics. Incredibly smart for them to do.
edit on 9-3-2013 by Cuervo because: grammar...

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Topic already exists.

I Started a thread on this topic this morning. www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 9-3-2013 by Under Water because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I've always wondered why things like this take so long to do. Does it really take five years for them to print up labels?

Also, I've always laughed at/mocked the hippie types who never stfu about what other people choose to eat, and I'll never go vegan or vegetarian unless I absolutely had to, but one thing I will agree with them on is their stance on the chemicals being put into foods. I don't think diseases such as diabetes and cancer are all due to people being overweight and population increase.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
people are all going nuts about dyes in foods but gmos, aspartame goes over there heads. what's going on? people had better figured out a way to get themselves into being in tune.
edit on 9-3-2013 by rockoperawriter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I don't have a Whole Foods locally, but hopefully my co op will catch on, will mention it to them. Know how you feel but find it's always interesting to talk to people in these markets that you find to be Liberal learning, finding that there's more in common on some topics than divided.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Under Water

Thanks. Odd nothing on the search,etc. More so that there's not more replies to the news.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

I was surprised myself, but there are still so many people who don't fully understand gmo's, that I guess it's just not big news to them. But to me, it's revolutionary. It's is a step in the right direction to saving our future food supply. I hope more people take notice.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Why or how does it take five years to implement this? Why can’t it be done by next month? When I buy or build my own house in the near future I’ll be designing a space for a veggie garden. Even if the overall yield is relatively low, it’d be enough to sustain a family and I read that gardening is very good for the health, mentally and physically. Though, are the seeds you buy to plant GMO? That’d be very disappointing. I want to avoid this nonsense as much as I can. There’s no reason for it, other than a means for a clown group like Monsanto to make more money at the expense of the average citizen’s health. Surely the wealthy and the like would have no GMO products in their kitchens...

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

A small victory that might catch on.

I don't get how this is a victory. The Ecotards should be the ones to label crap themselves instead of demanding more hand holding from the government.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Folks, this is a testament to the free market at work, despite 45 Million dollars to propagandize Californians to vote NO on 37, we only lost the vote by about 3 percent. You can't just throw money or armies at an issue that so many people care so deeply about, the pressure build up is just too strong and I'm glad Whole Foods has finally jumped on board, even though they had to be called out first.

I had very harsh mixed feelings about whether to vote Yes (force Monsanto's hand) or No (advocate free market principles). I eventually voted YES on Prop 37 here in CA, thinking to myself, I couldn't just sit on my hands and had to join david in fighting goliath.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I've only shopped Whole Foods a couple of times. Their prices were ridiculous -- at least double what a typical grocery charges around here (Twin Cities, Minnesota.)

In the balance of "my wallet" vs "GMO paranoia", my wallet wins every time.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
I've only shopped Whole Foods a couple of times. Their prices were ridiculous -- at least double what a typical grocery charges around here (Twin Cities, Minnesota.)

In the balance of "my wallet" vs "GMO paranoia", my wallet wins every time.

Seriously? Have you priced the cost of cancer lately?

Look, there are ways of still shopping there on a budget. Plan your meals, buy the sales, buy in bulk, cook from whole ingredients, freeze the leftovers. It's up to each person to put health as their number one priority. Because you certainly can't count on anyone else to do it for you.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 10-3-2013 by Under Water because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I forgot to mention that it surprises me Whole Foods sales GMO's anyway. I was under the impression all of their food was grown on organic farms by Hobbits who only grew from seeds given to them by the elves.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

A small victory that might catch on.

I don't get how this is a victory. The Ecotards should be the ones to label crap themselves instead of demanding more hand holding from the government.

Ecotards, really? That's a stereotype that doesn't hold to every person calling for labeling.

Whole Foods were deceptive to customers, customers choice is how it should be in stores. State labeling laws, as a start would far, would cut down on health care costs due to all of the ailment and conditions that are said linked to eating GMO. "Hand holding", if that's the concern the nanny stater " Obama-RomneyCare in turn will less dole off tax payer money.
edit on 10-3-2013 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I love whole goods. We have one in Cheltenham now. Even the beer is better from there :-)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BlindBastards

There is a lot that goes into it. First all of the vendors have to identify the ingredients in their product that do or do not contain GMOs ( this will take quite a bit of time ). Whole foods will have to give vendors time to become compliant, otherwise the shelves would be empty. Then all the products will have to be repackaged. All the old non perishable product will need to be cleared out once this is done. It sounds super simple to do, but there are a ton of things that need to come together for this. It may end up taking less time, but 5-years is a reasonable timetable to work with.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
nice five more years of untested crap

top topics

<<   2 >>

join