It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retired Lab Chimps See The Sky For The First Time.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Chimps are truly amazing animals and there's a pretty affecting video below about ones used in bio medical laboratory experiments being retired and seeing sky for the first time.

Steel yourselves, animal lovers. A few weeks ago, we told you that the National Institute of Health recommended that a majority of government-owned lab chimps be retired in the near future.

For 111 of these chimps, the largest group ever to be retired, this dream is now a reality. Over the next 12 to 15 months, lab chimps from across the country will be set free and will live out their days at Chimp Haven, a sanctuary in Keithville, Louisiana.

The process has already started, and it is pure magic. Below, a few chimps see the sky and feel the grass for the first time in their lives.

link

It also states at the link below that a recent report from the National Institutes of Health council recommended that the agency retire all but 50 of the chimpanzees it uses in its research (about time) and that for any future chimp research the lab living conditions should 'promote the full range of natural chimpanzee behaviors' so at least it's some form of good news.

NIH Report Proposes Retiring Research Chimps

A report from the National Institutes of Health council recommends that the agency put out to pasture all but 50 of the chimpanzees it uses in research.

The days of chimpanzees as test subjects for federally funded research may be drawing to a close. In a report released this week, a committee within the National Institutes of Health's Council of Councils has advised that the government limit the use of chimps in biomedical research.

The advisory committee was commissioned after a 2011 report declared most NIH research on chimps was scientifically unnecessary. Going forward, the advisory council recommends keeping 50 out of 451 chimpanzees currently being researched through NIH.

For any future research using the animals, the NIH report stipulated that lab living conditions should "promote the full range of natural chimpanzee behaviors," rather than simply "allow" them. As such, they recommended chimps live in social groups of at least 7 individuals, with 1,000 square feet of living space per chimp, room to climb and outdoor access year round.

Kathleen Conlee, vice president for animal research issues at the Humane Society of the United States, told the New York Times that no laboratory in the U.S. currently meets these standards. Per the recommendations, living conditions for NIH-supported chimps would need to meet the new criteria within five years.

link

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I bet they have very little dandruff.

Good to see them set free though. I personally would like to thank them for their service.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
That's heartbreakingly beautiful.
1:00 - 1:10
Priceless

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Good to see them set free though. I personally would like to thank them for their service.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Whenever i watch something similar i always feel like there is no other animal more cruel than us.

Humans are bad people

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Exitt

Yes we are evil at times but remember, we are mere animals ourselves and part of the ecosystem.

Many species are very violent.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I love that they get a happy ending after everything they had to go through. How sad is that to have never seen the sky?

I hope a day comes when they are no longer used for research.

S&F

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This is beyond sad., it makes me sad and depressed.

Some would argue "but bro, it's an animal dude". Well yeah, but so are we.

Vvv

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I hate watching videos like this, it reminds me too much that as a species, we truly are arseholes.

There is an even better video than this of chimps hugging each other and crying when they see the sky for the first time, I'll see if I can find it.

And they call us "civil"isation.

EDIT: By better video, don't get me wrong, it's as horrid as it is heart warming, they should never have been there in the first place.

Second Edit: Found the video.....

edit on 9/3/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Awwww...that made me cry.....at least they will have happier ends to thier lives.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies and that vid certainly is a bit of a moving one -it really does amaze me how certain folks can't see (or don't want to see) just how intelligent or emotionally complex these creatures can be and still cling to the notion that they're 'just dumb animals'.

It's not really relevant to the OP but does anyone remember this pic from a few years back?

Chimps Mourn The Death Of Their Own

This photo, taken a year ago at Sanaga-Yong Chimpanzee Rescue Center in Cameroon, Africa, shows a line of chimpanzees watching as veterinarian Sheri Speede, of Beaverton, and rescue worker Assou Francois move the body of Dorothy, a chimp who died of heart failure.

link

Think this quote from the lady who took the photograph sums things up.

“I cannot emphasise enough how silent and still they were. Chimpanzees are typically not like that. They are loud, with short attention spans. It was unbelievably emotional. We were all struck.”

Monica Szczupider, Sanaga-Yong Chimpanzee Rescue Centre, Cameroon.

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Some would argue "but bro, it's an animal dude". Well yeah, but so are we.

We certainly are mate and one of the most important books I ever read was 'The Naked Ape' by Desmond Morris - it's available here on pdf file for those who haven't read it or disagree.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exitt
Whenever i watch something similar i always feel like there is no other animal more cruel than us.

Humans are bad people

I don't think it's humans, per se'. I think it's intelligence. Any species that rises to full comprehension of the world around it will be curious about everything, will use (and abuse) everything to its self-serving advantage.

Intelligence is bad for now, but one day we will grow up and use our knowledge for the betterment of all life throughout the universe. I hope.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I agree with you on this-with higher intelligence,comes a wider spectrum of abilities and options.If intelligence in any species is not superglued to integrity and kindness/goodness -i foresee hardship and suffering for any other species/race they encounter.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Wow. It's like setting free a bunch of convicts that were wrongfully accused of a crime after so many years in prison. This is heartbreaking because, who knows what kind of diseases or mental torture they went through, and never had the pleasure to procreate or claim their own territory except for their caged environment.

Kratos

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exitt

Humans are bad people

Very interesting statement here.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Top video mate, it's good to see them being released and seems to have caught a little dust in my eyes.

It reminds me of this one with the beagles being released under similar conditions. Tugs hard at the emotions when the little fella steps on the grass.

I see chimps as being like the very core of humanity...us without the clothes and superficial layers. Out in the wild, they can be very loving and family-orientated; they love a laugh too. Then they also have little criminal SoBs going out stealing, raping and murdering. If roles were reversed, no doubt they'd have our asses in testing labs too lol.

I've got complex views about testing on animals. It's good to see that some of them (chimps, beagles whatever) get to be free when the horror is all over.

reply to post by Hopechest

I bet they have very little dandruff.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 10-3-2013 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Heart wrenching.....thanks OP....

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
The difference between humans' and chimpanzees' DNA is about 5% to 2%, depending the entity stating the facts, New Study, and look at how different we are!
Is it possible that we could be prisoners, or lab "chimpanzees", for a race with higher/better (maybe 5% more advance than us) DNA, and we are unaware of it?

If true, the matrix doesn't seem so impossible, does it?

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
They are probably still better off than most North Koreans.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Made me boo that did.
Cheers OP.
BTW Watch Project Nim.
www.imdb.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join