It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloud that thinks it is an alien ship

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Thats not an explanation, that's just telling us the official version of what they are meant to be. Obviously the shape is lenticular, but what causes them to take that shape. Any Takers?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

Where stable moist air flows over a mountain or a range of mountains, a series of large-scale standing waves may form on the downwind side. If the temperature at the crest of the wave drops to the dew point, moisture in the air may condense to form lenticular clouds. As the moist air moves back down into the trough of the wave, the cloud may evaporate back into vapor. Under certain conditions, long strings of lenticular clouds can form near the crest of each successive wave, creating a formation known as a "wave cloud." The wave systems cause large vertical air movements and so enough water vapor may condense to produce precipitation. The clouds have been mistaken for UFOs (or "visual cover" for UFOs) because these clouds have a characteristic lens appearance and smooth saucer-like shape. Bright colors (called irisation) are sometimes seen along the edge of lenticular clouds.[1] These clouds have also been known to form in cases where a mountain does not exist, but rather as the result of shear winds created by a front.

Here's the link

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
some very cool pics. i love clouds. my head is, and always has been, up among them.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Thanks Mate, I just read the wiki version myself. However the OP's pic looks's more like a mythical UFO then a
Lenticular cloud, In my opinion.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust

Love that lenticular one mate and those iridescent pileus clouds are pretty amazing as well (will never tire of nature pics
).

Here's another freaky cloud but I've never seen another one like it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d054ad07fae.jpg[/atsimg]

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d054ad07fae.jpg[/atsimg]

That one doesn't even look real.

-SAP-
edit on 9-3-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras
Calling all scientists to please explain why that cloud looks so much like a Flying saucer. Not saying it is, I just want the scientific perspective as to why the shape behind resembles something it couldn't be as they dont exist.
I have recently seen a lot of clouds in this shape so there must be a logical scientific explanation. [/quote

nvm...
edit on 9/3/13 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
Here's another one that looks a bit flying saucer-ish.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/33648cd745bb.jpg[/atsimg]

That looks like a red blood cell!

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz
some very cool pics. i love clouds. my head is, and always has been, up among them.

Looks like you have one of your own on your head.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Years back, my wife and I were watching my son playing a little league baseball game. As we looked up into the sky we saw this huge cloud moving slowly that took the shape of a flying saucer. It really grabbed our attention and we found ourselves watching this cloud instead of the game. I looked around and found out the rest of the parents were also looking at this cloud.
Eventually it dissipated, and we all had a good laugh with the parents who were sitting next to us. We were all thinking the same thing. Cell phones were not on the market back then or I would have taken a picture of it.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

That large cloud over the field looks very similar to the one my wife and I saw during my sons baseball game. It's quite startling at first because you don't see cloud formations like this everyday.

edit on 10-3-2013 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
All out of these clouds are almost too perfect, then if u think about our planet it can be beautiful place to live......

edit on 10-3-2013 by larapa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
cloud shaped UFO's huh?

Must be a slow news day lol

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Isnt that caused by a fake volcano in Orlando?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
in a word..

shopped .. completely

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Amazing picture! I wish there were more pictures of this type of cloud around and I would love to see it for real, but sadly where I live, I probably will never get to see anything like it.
Am I right in thinking this type of cloud is mainly above mountains and stuff?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

at the end of 2011 i saw some lenticular clouds, it was the first time i'd ever seen one, see the pics above (scroll across to see more), i remember that it just evaporated as quickly as it seemed to appear,

that day i went home to do research into what created it and i got the usual story they are created by high winds in mountainous areas, which i thought sounded fair enough but i still couldn't get why i'd never seen one before,

after finding out the clouds name , Lenticular, i decided to research it and the first page i came to was on wikipedia and it brought up info about lenticular silver screens used in the early years of motion picture production in the form of a projector screen, then i thought back to something i'd learnt about geo-engineering only a few weeks earlier and i remembered that silver iodide is being used in cloud seeding to reflect the suns light back on its self to supposedly reduce global warming, that was as far as i got in my research at the time, sorry if it doesn't make sense but i'm just trying to explain my train of thought at that time,

but this morning on my drive to work i could see a very strange cloud formation in the distance that seemed like a solid wall of mountain, i also saw several smaller lenticular clouds -

i again didn't think much of those clouds until i saw this post, then i decided to do a bit more research and found this

Climate scientists have long tried doing this on their own: seeding clouds with lead, silver iodide, or dry ice in attempts to form ice crystals.

please see link below
www.examiner.com...

let me know if you find this of any interest, but i could have completely read it wrong,

thanks for your time

top topics

<< 1   >>

join