It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Were Alone And Had An Extra-Ordinary UFO Experience , Would You Tell Anyone?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CleoFace

I just think of those naysayers as unfortunate, I don't let any of them worry me.
But I understand where your coming from and I hope you do share your experiance.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Double post, my bad
edit on 9-3-2013 by Shaded27 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterMiyagi

I've only bothered to tell my close family, there's certainly no point posting on here, even if you did walk around with a HD cam superglued to your head and managed to capture half an hour of HD quality footage of the UFO, it would be shouted down as faked or obvious CGI.

I don't blame people for doing that, i've done it myself to some really suspect videos i've seen, but supported other videos and reports, but the truth is, by accident or by design there are a lot of apparent loonies and hoaxers who for some bizarre reason seem to get a kick out of hoaxing this stuff...so people are bound to be sceptical.

It's understandable, annoying as hell if you're the one trying to relate something genuinely strange, but that's life.

I saw one myself only last week actually, and cannot prove a damn thing, no pictures, no video, no other witnesses (as far as i know)..but frankly i couldn't care less about convincing others or examining what i saw in minute detail..i can do without the aggro and the raised blood pressure having to wade through and posts from both genuine sceptics and deliberately hostile or patronising people.

It's enough for me to be pleased that i saw what i saw.

The UFO 'sightings and reporting' era is coming to an end IMO. Technology and software enable convincing hoaxes to be made in a bedroom by someone with little skill or experience in an hour or so, while at the same time someone who manages to capture something odd in the sky decides to tell the world about his or her sighting, takes the video, uploads it to the web and then the toing and froing, and endless circular and useless debate begins and goes on and on with only irritation as a reward.

For that reason, reporting UFO sightings even with quality HD video footage becomes a pointless exercise in not only having to convince naturally sceptical people who didn't see what you may have seen, but also to convince them the video you have is not a fake or hoax...and for what?

A pat on the back or a few 'Ohhhs and Ahhhh's? For the headaches and hoops you have to jump through, there really isn't any point.

Unless there is corroborating, official evidence of what you see, in the form of aircraft or ground radar, or many, many unrelated people seeing and reporting the same thing you saw, i'd say just tell people who know you're not a loon and who trust you, your family and friends, and leave it at that.

edit on 9-3-2013 by MysterX because: added text

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I concur, but then, why lurk on such a forum only to flame people?

The majority of people on here have had some incident in their lives and are looking for answers. The rest are here to troll or perhaps bring some sense of logic (if you can call it that) to the proceedings.

I for one have experienced many strange phenomenon and that's why I am here, to try and find some answers. However, that has become somewhat of a side issue as I have become intrigued with many of the threads that have been posted that do not even relate to the reason I came here in the first place.

Let's rock!!

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I have never had an occurrence that could not be rationally explained. I have had a few that had I wanted to I could have thrown the whole thing into the realm of the paranormal...but I know that is just not the case.

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence...it is opinion, testimony...which we already know is terrible...barely worthy of being court evidence.

I admit, I want to see something special...something profound and unexplainable...but I never have. I would love to....but i have to be honest above all else....when I see something that I cannot logically explain through critical thinking...I will be the first to let you know...there is no magic...there is nothing special....life is life and then you die....is there life after death? I don't know...when and if I get there... I will try to let you know....

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Yes i have had lots of experiences and no dont speak of them. I tried once on here and told people of my communication with telepathic cat and got ridiculed. I cant blame them for laughing.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisterMiyagi

If you had a UFO experience or any kind of paranormal experience for that matter, when you were all alone, with no one to verify your claims or support your story and you had previously been sceptical of such things as aliens or ghosts, would you tell someone you knew or consider sharing your story on a website such as ATS?

OF COURSE. When I would experience such thing, why would I care what OTHERS think? Their input.even if negative, would not change anything about my experience. When I would see an entirely, 100% unexplainable UFO/Alien....the event would weigh MUCH MORE for me personally than the opinion of other people about it.

The only reason I would think twice before posting would be if I had some doubt that what I've seen might not be a real, genuine UFO..but something I just misinterpreted (say, if I only see a light or something)...because then I'd risk look like a fool when I post my sighting which is explained by someone else.

HOWEVER, if I had reason to believe that the sighting is really extraordinary and genuine and doesn't leave me doubt about that I saw something extraordinary, as said, I could care less about what others think.

edit on 9-3-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Probably not to the general public. My lifelong interest in UFOs, including writing about it, makes me not a credible witness simply because of my interest. For example, I have about 250 books on the subject. I might seek out some individuals to discuss it with, but I certainly would not "go public" with it. It's not worth it. I can't see anything to be gained.

250 Books!? That's a lot of writing.

I agree with you about 'it's not worth it', but one thing i've never understood is how someone being interested in UFO's or the paranormal in general, is a justified reason to doubt a sighting report they make.

I know what the perception is or the implication of those using it is, but it doesn't really make any difference if the report stands up or is backed up by other reports.

IMO, it's a bit like arguing that Neil Armstrong and his collegues MUST be lying about having been to the moon, simply because they had an interest in space and going to the moon!

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I think most people who have had an experience they cant explain and happen to be members of ATS probably tell their story here more to see if someone else has a similar experience and to gauge a reaction.
I came here for that reason and must admit it took me more than a year to participate, if you are here you are obviously seeking answers whether they are to do with Government conspiracy or more stranger experiences.
Even the nay sayers cant help but get involved, they are obviously interested as well or wouldn't be here.
We know so little about our true purpose, which is what draws like minded thinkers to ATS.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

If you had a UFO experience or any kind of paranormal experience for that matter, when you were all alone, with no one to verify your claims or support your story and you had previously been sceptical of such things as aliens or ghosts, would you tell someone you knew or consider sharing your story on a website such as ATS?

The answer is no - there's really not much point

Here's the thing - I have seen one and it was a real beauty. I've told very few people about it - very few

I don't expect people to believe me - ever. There's no reason why they should. I wouldn't believe me either

I still don't get why people believed Moses about that whole burning bush thing...

I've spent more time trying to talk myself out of accepting what I saw as real than trying to confirm that it was real. Seeing a UFO is nothing but crazy making for everyone involved

:-)

Having said all that, it was one of the coolest things ever - if only for the sense of wonder it gave me

edit on 3/9/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: details

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I think there may be a better question that could be asked, in a similar scenario...

'If you had an absolutely true UFO/ET experience, even if you had the best video and pictures of this UFO/ET ever taken, and you remember every tiny detail of the event... would you tell anyone you are a member of ATS?'

I believe anyone with evidence or description of an honest-to-goodness UFO/ET experience would be dismissed, out-of-hand, the moment it is discovered they are a member of ATS or other alternative topic website.

If they had even 1 youtube UFO video on their youtube account (even if they didn't upload it, but had it on a playlist), they would be immediately labeled as 'suspicious'. Learning that they have frequented ATS' UFO/Aliens forum and created threads or wrote replies, they would also be dis-regarded.

That's putting it nicely, I have no doubt there would be other situations that are much less pleasant than simply being blown off and/or dis-credited. I imagine there would be quite the amount of ridicule and no doubt they would be called many names... such as a liar and/or hoaxer.

I think mentioning their membership at ATS, or other alternative topic sites, would be more detrimental to the perceived legitimacy of their experience than the lack of physical evidence of multiple witness corroboration.

If it was ever found that you ommitted the truth about your ATS membership, the whole experience would be labeled B.S.

It's a sort of 'catch 22'

That's unfortunate, but it is true...

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX

Originally posted by schuyler
Probably not to the general public. My lifelong interest in UFOs, including writing about it, makes me not a credible witness simply because of my interest. For example, I have about 250 books on the subject. I might seek out some individuals to discuss it with, but I certainly would not "go public" with it. It's not worth it. I can't see anything to be gained.

250 Books!? That's a lot of writing.

Reading. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
As for ufo sighting being discussed here, no I would not post here for there far too many trolls etc. in fact last winter I watched in amazement one darting up and down while going into the gulf from our town in fl. Fact is, I told a couple people locally and received a blank stare including, I don't believe in those things. I did not post this sighting.

As to paranormal. Yes post this in the proper area and you may be well received.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Yes, I would tell, if I didn't then it would be the same as preventing someone from getting more information about UFOs.

Also, I would like to use this opportunity to tell everybody that they should not be afraid of posting their personal cases, and if you feel that you are being treated unfairly by someone, just alert the mods.

At the same time, I would like to ask everybody not to treat all cases as fakes, after all, we were not there, so we cannot really know what happen and should give the benefit of the doubt to anyone. Yes, being sceptical is important (I am a sceptic myself), but it scepticism is a way of classifying and analysing the data that is presented, not thinking that all stories are fake.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
My experiences led me to join this site. It had many skeptics back then and people that honestly scared me, but I had to do it. Back then though it seemed most people here of different camps were at the least respectful and at worst humorous.

Flash forward to today and there is a few on this site that troll threads and bust out the jokes and slander non-stop, some it seems even are being showered with applause from the moderators for this behavior.

TBH I am a hardcore skeptic myself, and toiled quite a bit to post my case/s, and I still haven't came to logical conclusions of the things I've been through. That said I wouldn't do it again.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I think that is the #1 problem in not reporting a sighting.
Ridicule.
You can do it anonymously,but eventually someone will want some sort of proof other than your eyewitness account.
Pics or it didn't happened has put a damper on things,wouldn't you say?
Just like a thread I did on a case from MUFON.
I read the report,sounded very interesting till I saw the video and it seemed to be a misunderstanding about the what was in the sky above.
But I could be wrong .

With the flood of fake vids from youtube,it's easy now then say in the 1970's or earlier,to just dismiss it as nothing more than something other than what you thought you saw.

I would share my story if I thought I saw something on here,but not with people I know.
But,you have to stick with it or walk away just knowing that you at least reported it to someone.

Peace,
K

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
You would be expected to. And you would experience inner push/guidance/nudge, to share, for no one is here for themselves, but for others.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
You would be expected to. And you would experience inner push/guidance/nudge, to share, for no one is here for themselves, but for others.

I agree,to share your experience.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I had a personal experience and have only discussed it, in any depth, with the one other person present., and later with the woman who is now my wife. I have told a couple of others that I have "seen a UFO", but that is the extent of it. I believe that explaining an experience like I had is similar to telling someone what it's like to be high or what it's like to be in love. If you haven't experienced it, you can not grasp it. If I had another experience I would likely discuss it in detail with my wife. Other than that, I would probably just ponder it in the privacy of my mind.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I have never had a UFO experience myself, however it would be nice to have a sighting...

Regardless, if I had had such an experience I will have posted it on here for the benefit of others, and would also like to encourage others to do as such.

As long as I am around, I will make sure the that those that ridicule would have something constructive to add to the forums...

As far as I can tell, there are but a lot "bored" people who claim to be skeptics, and come on here to get a kick out trolling such threads.

It's good to be open minded about things in general, as much as ATS is all about

[size=18]DENY IGNORANCE

Peace

edit on 10-3-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join