It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloomberg Worried About Private Jet Owners Using New York City Homeless Shelters

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This guy is incredible. He's literally wealthy beyond the imaginations of most mere mortals and exists on a level we'll never see, let alone ever experience. Yet he's a 'Man of the people' when it comes to telling everyone how to live or ..in this case, suggesting how NOT to live? What's his deal anyway?

New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg expressed concern that private jet owners could clog up the city's homeless shelters.

“You can arrive in your private jet at Kennedy Airport, take a private limousine and go straight to the shelter system, walk in the door, and we’ve got to give you shelter,” Bloomberg said, speaking on the radio.

As the article goes on to note, he's whining about a New York City law passed by Koch that requires homeless shelters to make shelter available to those who ask and without proof or some long process to get that shelter. Mr. Billions wouldn't know or anything, but patience for long processes and proof of ANYTHING isn't a common item in the knap sack of many homeless. The law had some good reasons supporting it. Still does.

"Bloomberg’s comments came the week that an advocacy group for the homeless released a report saying the city’s homeless population surged in the past year."
Sourc e

Aww.. Perhaps that's the heart of it. His failing nanny state nonsense is driving UP the homeless population but he can't face that possibility. Reality must bend to his interpretation. Rather than more homeless, it MUST be rich people abusing the shelter which accounts for the spiking demand in need. Ahh yes.... We have the answer now.

Everyone feel good with his interpretation of events? (HOW do these guys get into such positions of high power??)
edit on 9-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Bloomberg used what is know as hyperbole - it doesn't mean he believes it to be true and no doubt he assumed most semi-intelligent people would realise that.

The question is did the media totally fail to undertand this (being somewhat less than semi-intelligent) - and are thus unfit for purpose? Or did they deliberately misrepresent it for their own ends - and thus are unfit for purpose?

Either way: never believe anything you read in the media - it may not be entirely untrue, but it's very unlikey not to be somewhat untrue

Edit: the real issue is that, as it stands, anyone - regardless of wealth - can, indeed, turn up and claim shelter, and maybe this means in some cases, that some who do not actually need it may abuse the facility - to the detriment of those who genuinely do.

Whether agree with Bloomberg that this is a bad thing is up to you.
edit on 9-3-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I predict that he will use this as an excuse to close the shelters, just as Ronald Raygun turned the crazies out of institutions. Ronnie later died of Alzheimer's, poetic justice if I ever saw it. If Bloomberg closes the shelters, I curse him to die in the gutter...

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Edit: the real issue is that, as it stands, anyone - regardless of wealth - can, indeed, turn up and claim shelter, and maybe this means in some cases, that some who do not actually need it may abuse the facility - to the detriment of those who genuinely do.

Whether agree with Bloomberg that this is a bad thing is up to you.

Actually, the issue of the thread I chose to start here is Bloomberg's apparent interpretation and attitude of this law with the insane statement that rich jet owners are killing time in New York City's homeless shelters. It's such a patently ridiculous statement as to stand as something unique, even from him.

This is the same man who has declared wars on sodium, calories, smoking in almost any form (while raising taxes to the moon for revenue on them), and generally being as much a hindrance in the Sandy efforts as any help ....to go by those I know living in that immediate area.

I don't know if you've ever been to a major city homeless shelter, but I have. More than one city. I can't say I've seen New York's but I don't have to see them personally to have no trouble believing what I read and hear from those who have on conditions within them.

Bloomers could use his efforts and focus on making the places larger and with more security rather than whine that too many people use the meager shelter that city provides those who choked on the Big Apple.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I'm confused, why would a wealthy person with a private jet want to use a homeless shelter? Am I missing something here?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Perhaps it is an attempt to force those who are wealthy to have some sort of "wealth I.D.? Is there a problem with many wealthy people using homeless shelters?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I can actually think of nothing better than private jet owners sleeping in homeless shelters. It would be an excellent educational experience for them to see how things turn out when they have everything and others have nothing. Maybe the Mayor should spend a few weeks sleeping around at various shelters so he can get a clue.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by artnut

You're not missing anything. It is that crazy for what he was saying. Others agree with our rather ..stunned reaction to the "logic" here.

“It’s pretty ludicrous to claim that there are people flying in private jets and taking private limos to the shelter system,” said Patrick Markee of the Coalition for the Homeless.

“He didn’t seem to want to take responsibility for the fact that there are more than 50,000 people sleeping in city shelters, including 21,000 children.”
Source

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Every time I fly in on my private jet, and hop in my stretch limo...that's the first place, I and my Gucci luggage head to....

My local homeless shelter.....

The man has lost his mind...but no one is willing to start proceedings to have him committed....

Now, excuse me..I'm going to put on my soon to be illegal ear buds, to drown out his insane ramblings....while I list my now collectable 32oz empty Big Gulp Cups on Ebay....

Des

edit on 9-3-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The hard part to understand is how if your a Democrat it is perfectly acceptable to be filthy rich. If you are a Republican you are not fit for office since you obviously robbed and murdered poor people to get rich.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Actually, the issue of the thread I chose to start here is Bloomberg's apparent interpretation and attitude of this law with the insane statement that rich jet owners are killing time in New York City's homeless shelters. It's such a patently ridiculous statement as to stand as something unique, even from him.

It's patently obvious to me (and surely everyone else?) that he was using hypobole to highlight a flaw in the existing legislation.

I'm frankly amazed and indeed a bit worried that you think he actually believes jet owners are using homeless shelters!

Unless you are deliberately misunderstanding for political reasons - which I guess makes sense. In which case, it's not Bloomberg who is the problem.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Every time I fly in on my private jet, and hop in my stretch limo...that's the first place, I and my Gucci luggage head to....

My local homeless shelter.....

The man has lost his mind...but no one is willing to start proceedings to have him committed....

Now, excuse me..I'm going to put on my soon to be illegal ear buds, to drown out his insane ramblings....

Des

Yep. He's a dead ringer for Adam West.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I'm just surprised that Bloomberg didn't blame Bush for the homeless, ban coffee, ban sugar, ban protein, and then jet off to his private estate!

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by artnut
I'm confused, why would a wealthy person with a private jet want to use a homeless shelter? Am I missing something here?

They wouldn't and they don't. Bloomberg was using hyperbole - in theory, as legislation stands, they could indeed use a homeless shelter. Bloomberg doesn't think this is right, but it seems a lot of ATSers disagree with Bloomberg. Which makes me seriously worried!

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

With our failing economy, the homeless issue will only get worse.

Obfuscating the issue won't make it go away.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Okay, we all understand Hyperbole. The problem is, this is coming from a little troll of a man who has been imposing his personal sense of health, hygiene and personal habits by force, upon New York since he arrived in office. He RAILED against Giuliani asking to remain in office a short time longer for the transitional peroid during a major crisis.....then pushed the city council to change the laws so HE can run a third term.

New York City has a limit on size of fountain drink thanks to him, new regulations on what can or cannot be served for fried food, sodium listings, menu details and more. There is a half joke on the front of Drudge about his quipping that Government "probably" can't FORCE exercise....and again, he's been one of the largest anti-smoking Nazi's I ever seen in elected office. This, from someone who is no friend to smoking after quitting a lifetime of it myself.

Just to add to it all, for fun, Bloomers has made a sideline mission of illegally sending his little task forces out to other state's and far from his jurisdiction to arrange and execute illegal gun sales ...just so he can later say SEE They Happen!......not mentioning the laws broken in MAKING them happen, of course.

So Hyperbole is a relative thing, depending on who is saying a thing. I take Bloomberg at his word because his words HAVE been this insane and extreme in the past......not withstanding some real determined defenders the man seems to have.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Indeed. So why are the media (and some ATSers) obfuscating the issuing by pretending not to understand what Bloomberg meant and making a false issue of it? Hmmmmm

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

So do you disagree with Bloomberg and think that anyone, regardless of wealth, should be able to use homeless shelters?

Or do you agree with him and think that this is wrong?

I'm confused by the opinions expressed here. I can only assume they are from private jet owners who are angry that Bloomberg might deny them getting free accomodation in NY in future?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew

Originally posted by beezzer

Indeed. So why are the media (and some ATSers) obfuscating the issuing by pretending not to understand what Bloomberg meant and making a false issue of it? Hmmmmm

Some ATSers are bringing it to the fore, so that healthy discussion can ensue.

The media is complicit in hiding the homeless issue so that they can prop up the regime currently espousing their dictatorial edicts!

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Can't say that I can think of anyone- including most homeless people- who would actually WANT to stay in a homeless shelter. Most only stay in them because the police kick them off of park benches, sidewalks, alleys and automobiles because it violates city ordinances. If you talk to homeless people they will tell you that the shelters are dangerous (especially for women and children), theft is a regular occurrence and parasites (lice, crabs, etc) are a major problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join