It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What make's a person expert on ufo and alien's?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I was just thinking to myself and figured i would ask.

Cause it's the same as claiming you speak to god and he speak back to you.
The proof is only for you.
No one can rebutted it cause there is no proof .Nor is there any way to deny it also.
If we use the same model as religion as the basis of ufology and there expert's.

So to a certain degree has ufo's and alien became a religion?

But honestly my point to this is simple.
i see it every day on post's and video's this guy is a expert he knows what he is talking about..100% real.
If that was so no matter how much we want to believe it just isn't. humans always have alternate motive's.

So tell me what you define as a expert if they said hey there are ufo's and to you it would be 100% real no question asked.
thank you.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
good point here OP

If we consider people posting about UFO videos, then if we look at the answers given to them on ATS
then there is no experts

Look, in one side we have people posting videos of UFOs and on the other side we have people constantly calling them HOAX, or calling them trolls, or mentally unstable.

So finally, we can safely assume, there is NO UFO EXPERTS.

Simple equation

UFO videos + debunked+ridiculed= fake videos, so it exclude completely any expertise, thus the videos being "fake" and the posters being "mentally unstable"..

no ufos, no experts.

edit on 9-3-2013 by AnonyWarp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
For a start anyone who uses the acronym UFO to make people think they are really talking about visiting aliens is not qualified to be called an expert IMO.

You see many many people in videos and writing books on the subjects who do this. They use the acronym UFO instead of visiting aliens all the time and when they are proved wrong on something they claim they real just meant Unidentified Flying Objects.

Anyone can learn all the facts around any 'sighting' but that does not give them the authority to make wild leaps of faith about was really going on based on nothing but their own imagination.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Kentucky75

Everyone can call them self a expert
its not a protected title like doctor and professor

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'd guess an 'expert' on UFOs is a bit of a misnomer whilst we don't have any hardware to kick. On the other hand, there are some great academic studies of the history of UFOs and sightings reports. The authors are, in my opinion, experts on the field.

You could look at some papers by James E McDonald, Michael Swords and Peter Sturrock. All of whom are/were PhDs and treated the subject with academic rigour. There are quite a few more in the history of ufology, but I guess we're into the realms of semantic wordplay in the way we respond to the term 'expert.'

I do consider a lot of people to be experts and many others would disagree. Each to their own.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I don't need a self proclaimed *expert* to validate my own personal experience in the field of UFO's.

I know what I saw, and had a witness/friend with me at the time. I have all the proof I personally need.

I do love reading of other peoples experiences. But, I also use balanced judgement in what other people say and post.

I also despise some self proclaimed experts. People who bilk the UFO community. People like Greer...piss me off.....

Until there is definitive disclosure by world governments...or they land in front of a mass of people in a crowded place, leaving no question in minds. The OP's question will not be answered.

Des

edit on 9-3-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Debunkers have the easy road in
UFO dealings. Any answer under the Sun
is fodder for "You don't know what you saw"
But of course the UFO witness was the one
who actually saw it , not the skeptic.

The "you saw a planet explanation"
when the report states things like "Giant triangular
shape moving quick "etc. is not even trying.
How is that a planet? Wouldn't this dimwitted observer
also drown when looking up to see where all this water
is coming from when it's raining?

And in the end the debunker cannot
prove the witness didn't see what they reported

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
you can call yourself an expert on ufos if you are able to make a living off of gullible idiots believing ufos's/aliens.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
If you've taken a large chunk of your life and dedicated it to one certain field, you are an expert in that field. You know more about that one subject than pretty much anyone else and therefore an expert.

An expert in Ufology may not even believe they are real. They have studied the field thoroughly though and spent years and money examining all the evidence they can get their hands on.Their conclusions are far more valid than your Uncle Fred's who once saw a bright light zig zag across the sky.

An expert is simply someone who's invested the time and effort to become exceptionally knowledgeable on the subject. It doesn't mean they are a fervent believer in aliens.

As for me, I've recently been entertaining the idea that there are no UFO's. Just because I don't know what is flying around up there, that doesn't make it unidentified. SOMEBODY knows what it is and those jerks are not sharing that information with me. I hope the aliens eat them first.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I have been wondering the same thing myself. I was sitting one day watching ancient aliens and have heard the term, ancient alien archeologist and wondered.... how does one BECOME an ancient alien archeologist? How do you become a UFO expert? Is it just a matter of spending time studying the subject or is there far more academic route? Can a person go to a University and study this?

Then the answer came to me.... Those who are experts, were able to get a following of individuals following their writings/webcasts/tv programs and believe what they had to say. It's the same for most religions and other theoretical impossible to be proven material (god, ghosts, aliens, UFO, 9/11 truthers, etc). I find this sad.... but at the same time... reassuring. Sometimes, people have to have some faith in what they want to believe, because if you have faith, then you have hope. If you have hope, you can be happy.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'm gonna go with the hair.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
They are only experts in THEORIES unless they are experienced with them in person,which can never be proven.I do know first hand how aggravating it is to speak the truth and get called a liar.
I also think there is no possible way to know how aliens even think,they can show us what ever they want but who the hell ARE they really?
I want to find out but maybe I don't.
edit on 9-3-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: misspoke

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Well, then, maybe the only real experts are the folks referred to in ufology as "occupants."
So the aliens themselves and any humans that live among them.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'm an expert of my own personal experiences unless the same experience is shared by someone else who happens to be next to me and such. There are personal experiences and then there are shared experiences which are further proof that one didn't hallucinate or "tricked" by their senses. I'm an expert of my own senses and nobody elses and I can't say "No, that was not a UFO but swamp gas" cause I'm not in your shoes.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

What make's a person expert on ufo and alien's?

That's one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to the subject of UFOs.

1. Our government denies interest.
2. Mainstream science rigorously ignores it.
3. The media drives eyewitnesses underground because of the way they ridicule.

The result is that there are no benchmarks, no gold standards for what is and is not genuine. From there, you may assume that anyone who carries the title of 'expert' on this subject, has given it to themselves.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Anybody who uses the word "evidence" instead of "proof" has my vote.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
There are no experts on the unknown or the unidentified. The best that can be said is "We don't know." So, if anyone tells you they know--which is most of ufology--then they are selling you a belief disguised as an answer and nothing more. In fact the disclosure movement goes a step further and takes it as a given that they know exactly what is going on and now we must move on to the important work of preparing for an alien future with politics and doctrine, full government disclosure of what they are certain it knows, and a whole bunch of nonsense that sounds "logical" when someone in a suit and tie barks it in a dry tone. But the fact remains that person is lying either to himself or to you or both.

However, there are scientifically-minded researchers who apply their craft to the various phenomena that comprise ufology. If we can't say what the unknown is we can at least eliminate some of the things it isn't. And if there are patterns of "behavior" either in the thing being experienced or the experiencer herself, we can discover those as well. We can talk about commonalities and whether there are waves of sightings, right? In other words there are aspects that can be described, cross-correlated, and compared.

There are clues as to what this stuff represents but if it is of another intelligence then those clues won't add up to a full answer until it decides to disclose its true nature. And if humanity isn't done cooking yet--if we're like teens who whine about how they're adults in ignorance of what the adults in the room actually know them to be--then I see no reason for that to happen.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleVortex

Absolutely we vets get told all the time about ourselves and warfare.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
A little of what Kandinsky said, and also it's a bit like asking who is an expert in crime scenes.

You might want to say the police or a detective but no not really. Criminal profilers deal with psychology of criminals, image experts might be consulted to determine scale of items in crime photography, ballistics experts handle the discharge of firearms, then there are a whole bunch of other experts ...

Every incident of a 'UFO' occurring can have multiple things going on that are related to multiple different fields. You don't really get experts in the field of unknown sky things or unknown distant objects. Even isolating it to the alien hypothesis, at most you can have an expert in the history of ufology or an investigator who is considered an expert in that area.

I personally believe, in most situations, being an expert investigator is not possible since you will be rejected from the field in general given that most of your results will be 'it is likely not an alien'. You're almost forced to stamp 'inconclusive' on everything just to keep the support of the community.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Apparently this member.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

They have been researching for 16 years. Ask him/her anything.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join