It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army suspends tuition assistance program for troops

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Kronar

Active duty does have a much better GI bill program but that is because y'all have to pay into it while Guard and Reserve don't (unless that's changed since 2005). We get much less but something is better then nothing.

I live in Oklahoma and we do get tuition assistance but only while in the Guard, once you leave you don't get that nor do you get the GI bill (unless that too has changed - been out of service since 2011). I don't really need either since I only have my capstone left and the military aid only cover up to your bachelor's degree. I love my school but over the years I've noticed how they are becoming more and more money hungry, which makes no sense because they have insane funding and donors. Boomer Sooner for life but that school has screwed me royally over the years, I just can't wait to get this last class done and end that chapter of my life.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 19KTankCommander

Ok I havent figured out the quote system here yet but hopefully youll know what I'm talking about.

I agree with your assessment about BAH. It does need a revamp to help the younger soldiers get on post housing quicker. It would probably save money.

I havent looked at the statistics on ETS but it makes sense that E-6 and below are more likely to ETS. The ones that stay in tend to get promoted and have more invested in staying in. The others are the ones who go on to use their GI bill or just move on to something else. I believe changing the retirement to 401k will make it more likely that the higher ranking with 10 plus years will leave early. Keep in mind after 10 yrs and a few deployments many of these guys have made connections with civilian contractors and DOD civilians. Ive seen soldiers get out and then be back in the same office doing the same job in civilian clothes making alot more money.

Not sure if they had this when you were in, but the military (or at least the army) has a similar program to the 401k called the TSP(thrift savings plan). Only difference is you dont receive matching funds for it. (although DA civilians do receive matching funds for theirs)

Yes ive seen alot of people get RIFED mostly from what Ive seen were people who had twenty plus years. Huge one after the cold war and Desert storm was over. I see it coming again now that force reductions are sure to come

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Is this really any surprise? Look on any corner in any city and you'll find a vet who has been chewed up and spit out, probably suffering from ptsd and they turn to alcohol and drugs and wind up on the streets. They don't care PERIOD. They never have and they never will. Meanwhile, trust fund frat boy Bush is making portraits of himself in the bathtub.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
reply to post by Jason88

1. Get out of the slum and make something of yourself. Translation: Obey everything you are told and we'll give you a cot and a hot.
2. VA benefits, home loan/small business start up money. How many have succeeded in this?
3. GI Bill

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
was just at the store getting a few things and a younger gal army reserve
was talking to someone about this, so me being me, i had to talk to her a bit.

Basically if she cant come up with $3K in a week and a half, to cover the rest of
the tuition the army was going to cover she has to drop out of school.

Obunghole should be brought up on charges for this crap. It's one thing to cut back
and say, ok next semester funds are not going to be there, or are going to be cut, and give
the student/recruit time to figure out how to cover the cost, but to just yank the rug out from under
them, and then expect them to be loyal and fight for you is obserd.

You dont tease a dog with food, stuipd idea to tease the people who are fighting your money wars.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by artnut

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with those people. They know nothing about what they are talking about, yet talk so very damn much about it.

Their minds are made up already and they NEVER meet you half way. Everything they do /think is part of a social programming that they were sold on. Packaged and stamped for their consumption and regurgitation.

My greatest teacher was Navy. He decided to become a teacher while crawling around a nuclear reactor being over worked and thinking how much better his life could be. He went to school and finished his time in the Navy. When he got out he became a HS history teacher, joined the peace corps, and got married. He was one of the most kick ass people I have ever met. A no BS sort of person, highly intelligent, compassionate, and deeply understanding. He saw through ALL my BS and showed me my true potential. He unlocked my mind and gave me faith in myself.

He was a military man, but a damn fine human being first. Even he said it though, the Navy contributed so much to his character that he couldnt separate himself from it. It was part of him. A good part.

I really miss him. Mr bordass. My personal hero.
That too is another face of the military. Some idiots never see it though.

I hope to God he runs for public office like he always said he would after the peace corps. He is the exact type of person that SHOULD be leading our communities and really our country. A patriot through and through.

edit on 10-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Lostmymarbles

It has changed now. With the post 9/11 GI bill you dont pay into it. The old Montgomery GI bill you payed 100 dollars a month for 12 months. I payed in when I initially entered but took the new one because it is still a better deal at least in my case

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Thanks current administration

Thank the republicans who wouldn't pass anything to stop sequestration. I didn't hear Obama say anything about cutting tuition assistance.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Having been in the military, I have seen numerous individuals state that the main factor for them joining was the tuition assistance. Or that was the perk that pushed them over the edge, convincing them to sign up. Someone who is in that position, who is suddenly cut off from attending school, rightfully should be quite peeved. I do not know if this can or will cause lawsuits, but if it does, it will be quite interesting.

And now the obvious point...The military has no money, why? Because they waste it all on crap overseas, like wars, and on paying contractors who overbill at every turn, like Halliburton, Bush's "former" cash cow. And then we send how much military aid to Israel again? Waaay too much. And how much aid is wasted in other areas? There are probably so many programs that military money is being wasted on that the true numbers would be staggering. Probably billions upon billions of dollars, and even more once you factor in these useless wars.

And to think we went into Iraq, which started this whole thing, based on a lie told by Bush. Him and his cronies in office at the time should have been punished criminally, considering that they caused the US to waste billions of dollars. That definitely contributed to the current state of affairs in the US. I am a firm believer that military money should always be used first at home, and only poured into the military when there is a legitimate war going on where the US has to DEFEND its borders, and the borders of allied countries. Aside from that, war is not justified.

Take the Gulf War for instance, while they said it was because Iraq invaded Kuwait, that was not the truth. But, war would have been justified simply because there was an invasion. Without something like that, the US should just spend that money at home, and mind its own business. But there are too many crooked people in politics, and too many people who do not put the people first.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Probably billions upon billions of dollars, and even more once you factor in these useless wars.

I would guess trillions actually. Trillions of dollars once you consider all the debt it generated and the interest on it. All the "humanitarian aid" and direct military aid given to any old body.

I wish we made a core of engineers and trained personnel that was based solely in the US and that worked exclusively in the US to modernize ALL our infrastructure, build up every corner of our country and at the same time teach and train the citizenry with valuable skills that they can be proud of. They would benefit from the military and its character building, and the country would appreciate the military for things THEY SEE and are part of.

Also the misconception of the military would fade and people would see it as a force of national good. It would be something that is their own as well. I wish we were the best trained military in the world because we had the best trained civilian population supporting it.

Imagine if every person who cant afford a regular education could become a valuable member of society by doing some time in the military where they build and enhance our own country and military while improving and enhancing themselves. You would still get combat ready troops, as well as 1000 fold enhancement of logistics, manufacturing, and everything else the military needs short of combat troops (like in war time, WW2 era) by civilian support.

All that money spent ON US......That would be a smart move. An integrated civilian support system into the armed forces that trains and educates them for multi-purpose civilian /military jobs.

You could still keep the HUGE budgets they like, but you would just spend more of it home where we could get a return from all that money wasted over seas on ungrateful future enemies.

edit on 11-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
In over a half TRILLION dollars, the most important and serious thing to cut for Obama's sequestration order are the tuition support levels to help these guys improve themselves?

"Obama's sequestration order"?? ....wow...You gotta flip reality upside down and paint it funny colors for that bit to work.

Did you notice the far right cheering for sequester? Mocking the President for trying to stop it and warning folks?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kronar

What branch? I was Air Force and during basic in 2005 they had the active duty people say whether they wanted the GI bill or not but they had to pay $100 a month. Hmm didn't think there was a difference between branches but seems like there might have been.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Seeing this pass into reality has been about the only bipartisan thing Congress has actually done. Boehner wouldn't do much in a meaningful way and Reid simply did nothing at all, as he's done over over 4 years on questions of budgets and odds of anything passing for it. The Republicans are every bit as worthless as anything on the political leadership of the left right now and they're both running the nation into the ground, in my opinion.

In point of fact on sequestration though, his own people out of the White House grudgingly confirm the original idea and structure for it came from the White House.

In the end, I think both sides saw cuts they love and couldn't get any other way. Likely not the same cuts in each other's eyes, but they don't care right now as long as they can spin this the right way (or they think they can). Again, that part is actually Bi-partisan in a sincere way. If only they could be that way on something helpful.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

Seeing this pass into reality has been about the only bipartisan thing Congress has actually done. Boehner wouldn't do much in a meaningful way and Reid simply did nothing at all, as he's done over over 4 years on questions of budgets and odds of anything passing for it. The Republicans are every bit as worthless as anything on the political leadership of the left right now and they're both running the nation into the ground, in my opinion.

OK...Then can we stop with the "Obama's sequestration" bit?

Bottom line..

Boehner let sequestration happen because....

His caucus is divided between the TP/Freshman wave of 2010 and establishment GOP which Boehner belongs to. He spends half his time facing inward...trying to get the "new" GOP to follow him and deal....and half his time facing outward...trying to convince the press that the GOPis united and that Boehner is in control...which are both false.

Boehner and moderate GOP would have been OK with closing tax loop-holes along with entitlement cuts in the form of reforms...the Presidents plan...the TP+New GOP Congressman refused to budge on closing tax-loopholes ...no more "revenues" whatever the form....and wanted more on entitlement reforms.

Pres. Obama and the Democrats let sequestration happen because...

They wanted more on revenues. Pres. Obama could have brought congressional democrats along on "revenues" being simply in the form of closing tax loop-holes...

President Obama refused to give on the "revenues"/Tax loop-holes issue in part because...

The GOP looked weak in public opinion..polls showed this...by most estimates the GOP would be blamed for sequestration and the Democrats could exploit this to political advantage...try and gain more seats in 2014.

SO...The GOP can be blamed for the TP/Freshman vs. Moderate GOp divide and the refusal to consider revenues in the form of closing tax loop-holes.

BUT...IF...the President had reached out to the Freshman GOP caucus...perhaps lunches? Dinners? Communication lines....He could have likely brought them along to a certain degree enough to close a deal.

Instead the Pres. and Dem Congress positioned themselves to assign blame for political advantage.

NOW...The President is reaching out across the aisle...something he should have been doing 6 months ago rather than jockeying for political advantage.

For all of the above...yes, both parties are to blame...but the cluster-ef that both parties have mishandled and exploited is still the result of the division within the GOP that lead to the Debt Ceiling debacle and credit downgrade etc.

I blame Democrats for thinking about politics and looking to exploit the GOP's internal crisis for political advantage...before the American people....and I blame the GOP for having the internal crisis that they do have in the first place, because IMO that is the root of DCs inability to function right now.

We have GOP reps in DC right now that think ALL government is bad. While some GOP debated how much federal assistance to give to Hurricaine Sandy victims...there was a segment of the GOP that wanted NONE at all. That paradigm is present in every issue DC engages in...Dems say "more"...Most GOP say "less" and some GOP say NONE...burn it all down!

In point of fact on sequestration though, his own people out of the White House grudgingly confirm the original idea and structure for it came from the White House.

Maybe...but the alternative was defaulting on our debt for the first time in our history...and Boehner took credit at the time..within his own party and in the press. "I got 98% of what I wanted"...HIS words.

edit on 12-3-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
So they want to nix the main incentive for many men and women to enlist in the first place. Are they going to take this away for those who have already enlisted eventually or will this take effect only for new enlistees? Not a good idea. I can see where this will lead despite the promise to nix new enlistees. Enlistment drops to a record low and our military is left short staffed for the events that are waiting for us overseas.

Meanwhile, the federal govt. can fund a million dollar study to research why lesbians are overweight...

There are so many ways for our govt. to save money. Yet they choose the political stingers for a reason to keep us divided.. Hey I also hear that they will delay the opening of Yellowstone by 3 weeks to save a few bones also. Too bad for all of you who have already made you trip arrangements... Ooops! Sorry folks, Parks Closed as Marty the Moose puts it..
edit on 12-3-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

The material I could find shows this applies to new people who would have entered the program and not to those aleady in the midst of drawing benefits from it. That's a GOOD thing to hear too. The idea of people getting screwed on current courses or even a course track would be a whole different outrage. As someone in college, I can't imagine the disruption on even a basic degree someone may be distance learning to get while in the service, if the whole thing got shut down on them and postponed a year or two. Many fields would change enough to make that a deal breaker, eh?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

That's good to know. So, what tool will recruiters use to encourage new enlistees down the road. Guaranteed placement at base in Hawaii and training to become chief Mai Tai mixer?
A good number of people enlist solely for the GI bill. Amazing how they chose the GI Bill of all things to save money. A new low for the current administration....

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

Thanks current administration

Thank the republicans who wouldn't pass anything to stop sequestration. I didn't hear Obama say anything about cutting tuition assistance.

We will all have to deal with the cuts.

Now is a bad time to ignore the $16.6 Trillion National Debt.

Thanks to sequestration the U.S. Federal Deficit is....steadily decreasing.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

That's good to know. So, what tool will recruiters use to encourage new enlistees down the road. Guaranteed placement at base in Hawaii and training to become chief Mai Tai mixer?
A good number of people enlist solely for the GI bill. Amazing how they chose the GI Bill of all things to save money. A new low for the current administration....

It's a good job with 30 paid vacation days a year + medical / dental.

You also get to travel.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Well, since I think we both agree that "Ask what you can do for your Coountry', appeals to a % but not near enough to fill the ranks for basic continental peace time defense, let alone the ongoing state of war we're in now ... Hmmm... I guess they'll just have to go back to what I heard so much about from others before I'd gone to enlist in the mid 90's. Fortunately, I had a decent recruiter up to my medical bounce at MEPS. He never did lie that I've found since. They can sure return to it though!

* 'You get to do any job ya want, and no questions on that ever ...while getting your choice of station within 3..everyone gets one of them, don't ya know..
, and naturally, it's a push button Army these days so the recruit can be filled with ideas about how modern troops don't march anywhere. They drive there...and no one sweats a % of their body weight on endless patrols... Naww... they just watch drone footage all day and have UAV's direct counter-attacks on those rare occasions they'd personally see fighting at all. Right? It's just an easy job for easy pay. Yessir! (Sign Here)

See? I could sell it myself with a little polish and practice ....of course I'd need to find other ways to shave, since looking in the mirror would be out. lol...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join