It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whole Foods to label GMO's by 2018

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
www.slate.com... 2013/03/09/whole_foods_to_label_genetically_modified_gmo_food.html

"This is an issue whose time has come," Whole Foods Co-Chief Executive Walter Robb said. "With cases like horse meat discovered in the U.K., plastic in milk in China, the recalls of almond and peanut butter in the U.S., customers have a fundamental right to know what's in their food."

(sorry, external text button not working, maybe a mod can come fix the quote for me?)

Now this is exciting! Whole foods will take the issue into their own hands, even when the government won't do what's right. I hope others will follow through, and I hope this brings the issue more into the mainstream for those who still don't know what a gmo is!!
edit on 9-3-2013 by Under Water because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Under Water

This shouldn't be too difficult for them to do, so I can't see why this would take 5 years to accomplish. Whole Foods own 365 brand is already non-GMO, and obviously everything labeled "organic" is as well. There are only a few items that may contain GMOs, like Cheerio's and the like. Now Wal-Mart and other "mainstream" grocery stores... it would take them 100 years to label all of their GMOs! I also think that if grocery stores took the initiative to start labeling foods themselves, they would be met with heavy legal resistance from the food manufacturers and,of course, our favorite biotech terrorist Monsanto. Oh well, we can hope

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
It does seem like too long a time. Not sure what the hold up is, and it leaves lots of time for monsanto and co. to raise hell about it.

As far as resistance, if it's your store and you require gmo products to be labeled, then food companies can either label them, or not be carried, simple as that. Seems fair to me and within the rights of the stores. They should be able to carry what they want. The ultimate slap in monsanto's face would be to see a new chain of stores called The Nogmo Market. Haha. A store dedicated to offering only gmo free food!

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
By 2018? Oh, joy. What a (cough) progressive thing to do for a (double cough gag) progressive company which long before that time will be forced to do this anyway by state laws and hopefully federal laws. Jeez, an applause to them (what's the sound of one hand clapping again?)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Food and the Goverment, Inspectors checking the food, corporate companies hiding issues with the food, the list goes on and on.

We all eat and we all shop for food, but in the past ten years i have managed to stay away from processed prepackaged foods, because of all the recalls and news of what they find in it.

I rather go hunting, fishing, gardening, shop at places like a Meninite store, or a farms market than pre package my own food.

To add to it what is a preservite that is being used today, I noticed that I eat 99.9 percent of my homemade meals and I don't get sick, last time I was down for the count was three years ago, but some of my co-workers are always eating pre package foods for lunch and they are always getting sick.

What is up with this, is someone in Whole Foods seeing this and blowing the whistle. Time will tell
edit on 9-3-2013 by 19KTankCommander because: sp

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Under Water
It does seem like too long a time. Not sure what the hold up is, and it leaves lots of time for monsanto and co. to raise hell about it.

As far as resistance, if it's your store and you require gmo products to be labeled, then food companies can either label them, or not be carried, simple as that. Seems fair to me and within the rights of the stores. They should be able to carry what they want. The ultimate slap in monsanto's face would be to see a new chain of stores called The Nogmo Market. Haha. A store dedicated to offering only gmo free food!

The hold-up is, because *NOBODY KNOWS!*

That's the scary part - while we know that about 95% of the soy and sugar, 90% of the corn, among several other foods are GMO, there is no system in place for actually checking to see which crops go where. The reality is probably that GMO gets hopelessly muddled with non-GMO, and at some stage of production not very far removed from the actual farmers, the knowledge gets lost.

It's a truly monumental task, because it requires a massive structure of oversight to be put into place where currently none exists, and in some cases it might even require the wholesale companies that WFM buys from to restructure their mode of business. Five years for all of that sounds about right to me.
edit on 11-3-2013 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

top topics

join