It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Dakota State To Arm Teachers!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Being british myself I find the gun issues in america shocking and the approaches to tackle the issues equally dumbfound me.

The latest news is that the state of South Dakota is to train and arm teachers and teaching staff to "ensure" that school massacres dont happen again

South Dakota to Allow armed Teachers on campus!

What is america coming to?

What are your thoughts on this?
Do you think this will be a deterrent or is it madness?

Richy

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
A bit disingenuous in your presentation:

The measure does not force school districts to arm teachers and will not require teachers to carry guns.

But it allows each school district to choose if staff could be armed. It takes effect in July.

Giving people a choice is very different from giving people a mandate.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by pigsy2400
Being british myself I find the gun issues in america shocking and the approaches to tackle the issues equally dumbfound me.

The latest news is that the state of South Dakota is to train and arm teachers and teaching staff to "ensure" that school massacres dont happen again

What are your thoughts on this?
Do you think this will be a deterrent or is it madness?

Richy

It's a great idea. No gunman will try a school shooting in SD now.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
G,day mate. its both nuts and perfectly logical at the same time. ( yep thats about as clear as mud.) american society is broken as are both our own. with the high level of gun ownership in the states one can either leave the staff and students at the mercy of any med soaked, or troppo zealot with a death wish. OR use your GOD given grey matter. admit the above and move to ensure the safety of your students and staff. remember you can either be a poor bloody victim or arm and defend yourself and your students/charges/family, with equal if not superior force. remember even the communists teach unarmed societies to arm themselves and rise up with the comment ( freedom comes through the barrel of a gun.) so these kids get that freedom. hopefully from attack at school. a place where kids should feel safe. besides if its ok for the wankers running washington and running down the rest of the U.S. to send their kids to schools that have armed guards. why not in south dakota.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Their senses?

A wack job teacher today can easily fatally injure students if they snap. That makes the "what if a teacher snaps" argument a moot point, in my opinion. The real question is whether an armed teacher could be a first line of defense against some goob with a wet dream about seeing their name plastered all over the media as a spree killer. I think the clear answer is "Yes, an armed teacher could very easily be a first line of defense and is a vast improvement over the 'Call 911 and wait' system in place today."

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

That is due to the extreme brainwashing you were subjected to. Liberal states in the U.S. (NY, California, etc) get it too. I have lived in both states I should know.

Do you have a better way? One that WILL work? Fight fire with fire. Armed staff would elimnate these mass shootings. WHO is going to plan a shooting if they will be terminated ASAP? Do you get it?

Hopefully NOT what the UK became...

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pigsy2400

All they are doing is nullifying the no gun zones put in place after the Columbine incident.

The State is not providing the weapons nor are they requiring anyone so opposed to carry a weapon.

In America everyone has the right to bear arms - says so because some country (shall not point fingers) attempted to deny US that right when we were their subjects. Teachers are people ergo the right exists.

Now over the years we have lost our way with all the liberal indoctrination some have mentioned here and now to carry a firearm somewhere that no one can see on your person requires the permission of the government.

A sort of vetting process. Many teachers have sought out this permission and have the right to carry a concealed firearm on their person most places - however, they cannot carry one on school grounds. Which incidentally for a teacher is where they likely spend a majority of their waking hours. Seems like a silly restriction actually.

We trust them to care for and teach kids. We trust them to carry a weapon. Both have licensing reqirements. We don't allow the two to be mixed I guess. Why?

A person with a concealed carry permit is vetted and checked by the local law enforcement to make sure they are not unstable or have had a felony and such. Also, they ensure some kind of training was provided (varies from State to State).

See, in America I can and do carry my firearm all the time - thus far no one has ever been the wiser. I carry it at the Mall, at Chuck-e-Cheese, and in the movie theater. Those are places where a lot of kids hang out. I do this day in day out year after year all with the permission of the government and always without incident.

However, for some reason when I go to the school to get my child the same government seems to think that this is simply too much temptation for the weapon to bear and it might get loose and kill a bunch of kids. I don't understand how the kids at Chuck-e-Cheese are somehow less important than the kids at the school but then again it is the government so it rarely makes sense. Anyway, I heard somewhere that there has never ever been a school shooting perpetrated by someone with a concealed carry permit and that somewhat opposite of popular opinion the person is the one who makes the gun work not vice versa.

The kids at school are safe with me because I have no desire to shoot anyone again, as a career military officer I've done that and it’s not all that pleasant either up close or impersonally with aircraft, and artillery. However, I suppose I carry a weapon in case I should ever encounter a situation that threatens my life or that of another - sort of like insurance. Hope I never need it but I'd feel really silly to need it and not have it.

So - in changing the law they are taking away the assumption that a person with a concealed carry permit who otherwise obeys the law and does so responsibly daily (likely around a large number of children) but also happens to be a teacher will somehow suddenly become a danger to children and irresponsible because they are in what was a no gun zone.

I see it as logical to assume that teachers to whom we entrust the safety and well being of our children daily who also happen to have a concealed carry permit will continue to remain trustworthy and responsible even in the tempting confines of a school.

Does a person who has a concealed firearms permit suddenly become a danger to children then because he/she continued to carry the same weapon he/she had in his/her car on the way to work while entering the building full of children? Are children that tempting of targets?

Again, I carry ever day - have for years. Never felt tempted to shoot kids (other than my own on occasion - and then only to wound
) even in a school.

Limiting the right to carry just because kids are present is silly. Either a person is vetted and qualified or they are not. This business of having gun free zones only ensures that the only person in that zone with a firearm will be the one there who has no regard for the law. The only one in the zone with a gun is the criminal and no one else has any way to defend themselves or the children.

Doesn't even make sense. Why do you think these cowards pick gun-free zones as targets? Coincidence? No - because they rest secured knowing that likely they will be the only one there with a firearm. No one can fight back.

Take away that sense of security and they will think twice about where they attack...

edit on 9/3/2013 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join