Stranger Danger!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

Fear, fear, fear . . . as others have said. I know if they were doing this at my son's school, I would have been down there that next morning . . . although it seems harder to get an appointment with any official at my son's school than winning the lottery. They certainly don't like being questioned on methods, especially by someone who has a background in education/psychology.

I certainly don't think things are anymore dangerous than they have ever been for kids. In the 70's and 80's, they had the issues of mass/serial kidnappings and killings. At least, that is what the media would have you believe. Were there kidnappings? Yes. Were they happening at the frequency or were kids in the danger they wanted everyone to believe? No. Before that it was the nuclear scare, which by the way, involved the same exact deterence . . . hide under your desk!

It's simply teaching kids to be fearful. When they grow up and the news says boo . . . they run scared and do what they are told, like good lab rats. I wouldn't leave my son/daughter in any school that frightens them to tears for a drill of a threat they have a 99% chance of never encountering in their life.

The stranger danger program is not even designed to be used in this way.

Although there are other dangers such as kidnap for ransom, the main threat stranger danger campaigns concern is sexual abuse. In recent years, the emphasis of such campaigns has shifted somewhat, in order to reflect the risk of abuse by persons known to the child

You are supposed to not go along with strangers, be defiant, run to a public store/official/parent/adult you could trust. Not cower in fear . . . just in case.

And I full-heartedly disagree with the proponderance of school shootings these days. If they weren't glorified and fawned over by the media and the agenda pushers, maybe this wouldn't be the new "I'll show them" fad.

We've had school shootings in this country going back to 20's at a rate of 15-20 a decade. That is, until we blasted every news show with Columbine and glorified those idiot kids for over a year . . .
edit on 3/9/13 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

well to me it's the victim mentally,

before the 60's the world was _ _ _ _ with me, i'm gonna kisk your a@@ . in other words fight back, now it's let big bother handle it and you submit to what ever is happening.

and if you start to teach people, when there minds are young, it's a lot easier to control them. and if they are freighted all of the time it's even much easier.
edit on 9-3-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by solomons path

d__ you beat me to it.

i'm glad to see that, some one else see it.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

I must agree.

In part, this plays into a wider aspect of social engineering that is going on in the school system and higher education establishments.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Here's the thing (coming from a former teacher). It IS about fear. But there is more to it.

You have to start by understanding that these drills are really not about mass shootings (although the drills are lumped together). It is far more about kidnapping and the such. The idea in a kidnapping/abduction situation is to slow the perpetrator down as much as possible, hence, the getting under the desks, so the perp would be forced to look, one by one, for the child they were seeking.

These drills came into place right around the same time as AMBER alerts started being issued.

Now, as far as how it was handled here, its a tough call. It is unfortunate that your child went through that type of anxiety. That should not have been the goal. But the teacher was also probably trying to make the drill as real as possible, so that the kids would be better prepared if it ever happened for real.

To me, this is a little counter intuitive, as I was always taught that if a situation did happen, you treat it just like its a drill, all the way to telling the kids its a drill. The one time I was involved in a fire inside a school, I did exactly that, and the evacuation went off without a hitch.

Then there is the possibility that it was a surprise drill, and the teacher didnt know whether or not it was real. School administrations DO do this. I was a bit lucky in that I worked with special ed kids, so I was one of the only people in the school that knew they were coming, as they gave me warning so I could prepare my kids a little more. All of the other teachers would look at me during a drill so I could let them know whether it was real or a drill. And up until that point, none of them could be completely sure.

Overall, I have a sneaking suspicion that the teacher was unhappy with the way the kids were behaving during the drills, so she decided to make it a little more real for them. Ive seen teachers do this before. I dont agree with it, but I have seen it, more than once.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

These drills came into place right around the same time as AMBER alerts started being issued.

i forgot to mention, when i first that saw the title to this thread i thought it was something to do with the movie,
"Kindergarten Cop".

there are a couple of scenes that have " stranger danger in them.

this movie was made in 1990, Amber's Law came after 1996. the drills may have started around that time, but the phrase has been around a lot longer. makes you wonder what has been going on. and why. i know that they say it's about kidnapping, and other dangers that maybe face while at school but it's plain to see they have been training for a while. what else may have been taught.

think about it, let's say a child that was 5 in 1990, if i added it up right is 38 now. now if all of their school life they have been taught this, and other stuff meant for conditioning. when they have children and pass it on to their kids, which is also reenforced in when their children go to school, and continues on. soon you have a population, that doesn't question just does what it's told.
edit on 9-3-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Not for nuttin' but if someone was 5 in 1990, they'd only be 28. You left off 10 yrs.

I can remember stranger danger/officer friendly/chester molester programs in the early/mid/late 70's, as well.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I can tell you one thing: With a class of 23 special ed kids, some of whom were pretty high on the spectrum and prone to fits of rage, I damn sure wouldn't want chaos in an emergency, and was extremely happy that my students had been 'conditioned' (if thats what you want to call it-we used to call it teaching) to follow a certain protocol when there was an actual fire.

I get what you are saying, but we are talking about safety drills here. Theres a conversation to be had about teaching kids to simply do as they are told, and I have a lot to say on the subject, but safety drills are not really part of it. They are a GOOD thing.
edit on 9-3-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by solomons path

yea, i always sucked at math, and spelling.

now that i think about it, i saw that kinda stuff on the tv. but where i lived back then was mostly farm land and had very few people. the whole county only had about 37,500 people for about 1175 sq.miles.

there was very little crime, like there was in the bigger cities. so they didn't do any of that kinda stuff in the schools.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by newsoul
reply to post by Monkeygod333

My daughter attends a private school.

I am seriously considering home schooling, but I don't want to make her antisocial. She loves her friends at school and loves going to school everyday. Well, up until now she loved going to school

There are a lot of outside activities afforded to homeschoolers with other homeschoolers. Check into it.

Sounds to me like your child's teacher is out of touch with reality. You might want to discuss this with administration.

Definitly talk with your daughter. She needs reassurance from you.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
This is what this world is becoming.

To instill fear into children is simply wrong.

Imagine another scenario that from the child's perspective involves safety rather than fear!

The alarm goes off,
teacher says in a very matter of fact way, OK under the desks, you know the drill!
teacher draws .357 Colt Python handgun and aims at door.
teacher says, 'Don't worry, no one is going to hurt any of you'
The all clear sounds.
Teacher holsters weapon
Kids cheer the teacher.

OP, the advice you have had sucks. No one will listen. The teacher is simply doing what she / he is told. The Principal will simply tell you your child overreacted and will insinuate that it is your fault.

The only way to change things is for all the parents to revolt and say, enough is enough. If this private school really believes this threat is real, let them hire a couple of ex-marines as security guards.

Otherwise homeschooling!

Too many Govt agencies are harming our children with psychological abuse in the name of protecting them. A mad shooter harms a small number of children on the very odd occasion and it is terrible.. The state harms all of the children all the time with this crap and that is unforgivable.

This crap must stop.

P

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

A person walking in and kidnapping a kid from inside a classroom? When in the history of mankind has that ever happened?
Doing an abduction that way is the most obvious and stupid method ever. It sounds like that scenario is simply being made up for the sake of doing the drill in the first place.

edit on 9-3-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
The truth is, the crazies are getting crazier and bolder in their actions throughout the entire world.

Hate to say it but it's because there aren't any good OR evil people like their used to quelling their numbers or ability to be crazy.

Also because they are protected under the same laws...they are essentially allowed to do what they want..

but because good or evil people don't do anything anymore due to the limits of the laws the crazies are allowed to run amok doing crazy things... it's crazy..

edit on 9-3-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
reply to post by captaintyinknots

A person walking in and kidnapping a kid from inside a classroom? When in the history of mankind has that ever happened?
Doing an abduction that way is the most obvious and stupid method ever. It sounds like that scenario is simply being made up for the sake of doing the drill in the first place.

edit on 9-3-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

Its happened more than you obviously realize. usually by a parent that does not have a legal right to remove the kid from the classroom.

I take it that all of you that are so against this would rather not have safety drills in school? That way, when an emergency happens you can blame the school for not being prepared. Right?

Do you all have issues with fire drills, too? I mean, its fairly rare to have a fire in a school, so why drill? Why not just let the kids go all bat crap crazy when a real emergency happens? Come on now.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

Isn't this exactly the same as what they taught kids to do in the cold war era. ''If we get nuked, hide under your desk and everything will be ok'', it's exactly the same...

reply to post by beezzer

edit on 10-3-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
The world is getting scarier...I don't think anyone will dispute that.

Is it?

Tentatively I dispute this. I don't dispute that there is more fear, but I dispute that the world in general is responsible for it. The fear comes from people and the people make the fear because it gives them power and money.

Most people in this thead live longer and have better lives than they would have many hundreds of years ago, yet we are all afraid. Sometimes I feel the world is run by a group of selfish boys who try to convince everyone that whatever *they* are talking about is really important to everyone else, and that nuclear war / mass shootings / terrorismcould happen at any given moment.

Fact of the matter is most people on the planet who die do it because of preventable disease, not from mass shootings, guns, or any of that other nonsense.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

I wonder what this next generation will look like as adults? They have been taught fear and it is reinforced everyday by the progressive school system. Mix that with the everybody wins crap and the anti-bullying movement and what do ya get.................

Weak,fearful,apathetic,lazy,gender neutral,young adults. Is it any wonder why kids are not leaving the nest anymore. You reap what you so in life.

To the OP I am not saying your kid will end up like this but if you allow the progressive mindset into your house prepare to be disappointed at the results.

The progressive movement wants to get your kids afraid and keep them afraid and dependent for the rest of there lives. Take a good hard look at the black culture and ask yourself what happened to them? If Mr. King had lived they would not be in this mess. He would have never let them fall to the progressive side.
edit on 10-3-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)
edit on 10-3-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 1   >>

join