It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

? Attacks to my computer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Dear ATS,

This may or may not be connected to this site. However - I have read here that you are under cyber attack.

Over the past few days, when I access this site I have had files trying to download - stopped by my virus
software.

I was trying to find their names and can't right now but they had 4 digits, letters and numbers like D6 ++.

When I visit ATS, I often am on various other sites at the same time like Sky and the newspaper sites and my email and SKYPE etc. Therefore I cannot state categorically that these attack downloads are coming from ATS.

However - this has only been happening over the past two days and also hotmail have blocked my account because someone has hacked it and sent a load of junk rubbish from it.[ within the past two days]

Has anyone else had similar problems ?

Also I have had the time out issue with posts that has been discussed already on this board.
edit on 9-3-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

It may be coming to the point where it's necessary to have two computers. One with our data residing on it- not connected to the internet, and an internet-connected computer. When stuff is downloaded from the internet, Windows Security Essentials (for Win7 and earlier) or Windows Defender (Win8) can be specified to scan the USB before you copy the file(s) onto your main computer. This system is not bullet-proof though
, as new viruses or trojans may have been written that the antivirus program doesn't recognize yet.

If you're thinking about a 3rd-party antivirus program... They might be effective- in that they may be better now, but I would not recommend it. There's nothing that will make you feel vulnerable as when a third-party antivirus program with all of the latest virus data definition updates applied- runs a scan for hours, just to tell you that your computer is clean, when you know that it's not. This happened to me.

edit on 9/3/2013 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
i once clicked a link here and got the fbi moneypak virus, i had to boot in dos, and do a system restore, because it just takes up your whole screen and wont let you do anything, it also d/ls a trojan which multiplies at a rapid rate, and virus software will not get rid of it.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkJS

It may be coming to the point where it's necessary to have two computers. One with our data residing on it- not connected to the internet, and an internet-connected computer.

edit on 9/3/2013 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

I use a seperte laptop for personal things. I basically only connect it to the interwebs to keep up the various updates/virus definitions.

My desktop is connected most times though and I still do the same with it. I just don't do banking or anything like that on it.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
First post of the day but had to chime in here.

I am a computer illiterate. Over the many years I have had so many problems that luckily had a great comp guy come to solve and it was NEVER, not once related to this forum. Never.

Rest at ease.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

I have a robust anti virus system - hence why these funny downloads are being picked up.
I agree about two computers - but it is not practical - I just back up.
However - ATS has been under attack according to what I have read here - so was wondering in the past 2 days if any one else was having these problems

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Dirtybird, Tdawg and antar thank you for your feedback.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Go to your anti-virus / security software logs and get the relevant information from there? Might help find out where it came from and if it has anything to do with ATS.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I've been on ATS almost all night, well for the better part of 13 hours using 3 different PCs.. (Producing the Radio Show requires 2)

One is Win XP with no security software at all
One is Linux
One is Win 7 64bit with AVG

No issues at all on this end

Semper

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
No issues at all on this end

Isn't ATS advertising linked to IP address?

OP will be getting English / UK adverts for example whilst you will be getting American ones?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Apart from one incidence of password hacks, I have never had any issues with this site.
The password hack issue was resolved quickly.

I would suggest that the problems lies in other area's.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Pinke, semperfortis and budski - thanks for your feedback. My problems were yesterday actually, everything ok today. Thanks again.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
reply to post by budski

Pinke, semperfortis and budski - thanks for your feedback. My problems were yesterday actually, everything ok today. Thanks again.

Thanks for letting people know - I was checking back to see if you had resolved your issue.

Did you know there's a tech help thread where you can ask about a problem and tech people will try their best to help you resolve problems?
Not ATS problems, but all round computer stuff.
Perhaps a mod or other member could point you towards it.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I run linux on my pcs. Much safer than letting windows look after all my stuff.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This has been asked before about ATS and my response is the same!
There is nothing more sinister going on here than a few 'Ad Servers' working there
stuff, the stuff that keeps the site free for us to enjoy.

As an out of work IT analyst (posh name), I would be more than confident that the op's problems are
local to his PC,or another website.

PM Me if you need some help with clearing any infection from you machine.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Please before making any changes, backup ALL data. Or at least the most important data - which might be everything. Last thing I want to hear is you lost all data because you didn't back it up. Are you infected at the moment? It could just be a false positive. Can't rule that out if there's no infection.

EDIT: Just realized you said you back up. Great.

edit on 10-3-2013 by blahxd67 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-3-2013 by blahxd67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
I run linux on my pcs. Much safer than letting windows look after all my stuff.

Even so, I run Windows 7 and haven't gotten an infection for many years. But Linux is awesome. I myself am running Ubuntu on my laptop.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

sprocket, blah and rigel - thanks , I do back up [ mostly ] and I would love to try a system other than windows.
As I said - the infections could have come from any where , but I was just checking and am reassured by the feedback.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I can help you get started with Linux if you want, just ask or pm me.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

thank you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join