It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy..My electric is out

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

All I have to look in the dark is a lighter. Which will blow out the minute I step outside looking for a 2nd breaker box. Yes, my dryer works. My water heater works. I can still take a hot bath. Thank God.
I will wait till morning or when first sunlight comes to see if I have a breaker outside.

And that GCI thingy, I'm telling you. I don't see one. But when daylight breaks, I'll be sure to look near the fridge. I don't think I saw one back there.

Smoke detectors work and they are not going off. One of them likes to speak Carbon Monoxide, Run...Plus the 3rd smoke detector is my dog and trust me he's not acting crazy yet.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I recently had power problems when running the microwave or vacuum.
Lights would dim and flicker.
It turned out that the ground wire coming to the house had broken.
It was the electric companies problem and they came and fixed it.
Give them a call.

www.thecircuitdetective.com...
edit on 9-3-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Well no joy so far, and I'm going to give it one more day to come on.

If not I will call someone.

Yuh, I tried to move the fridge to check behind it, but no joy.

It's too heavy man.
edit on 9-3-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
oh wow, that is what has happened to me also this morning...woke up with no power.

checked the power box and nothing is turning around... ??
maybe an outage somewhere...inconvenient though...had to go to Maccas to buy 2 coffees... lol

good luck with it.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
woo hooo, it is getting fixed right now!! (just in the nick of time too cos pc battery nearly dead)

anyway, hope yours gets fixed soon

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for it to magically come on so I can save some money.

no joy yet.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
There's definitely some kind of wiring issue, either a broken ground, or break in the wiring to that part of the house. Should call the power company to investigate....they have a vested interest in you using more power again...

With a single family home, unless there was some kind of conversion done to it, should only have one fuse/breaker box. Another possibility is that the breaker itself is bad. It may not LOOK tripped, but internally, could be shot.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
3 days and still no electric to certain parts of the house? Could be a job for the power company if one of the phases went out leading to your house, especially if your neighbors aren't having this problem. But then again if your dryer works, then that's probably not the problem and you need to call an electrician. Probably a bad wire or bad breaker.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
There's definitely some kind of wiring issue, either a broken ground, or break in the wiring to that part of the house. Should call the power company to investigate....they have a vested interest in you using more power again...

With a single family home, unless there was some kind of conversion done to it, should only have one fuse/breaker box. Another possibility is that the breaker itself is bad. It may not LOOK tripped, but internally, could be shot.

Thats EXACTLY what happened to us.. everything LOOKED fine.. nope. ONE was bad.

I have a very large historic home.. 2 fuse boxes. The house was standing before there was electricity so its all put in after the fact.. and ran crazy. I can trip one in the kitchen and a front room will be out. Labeling it?? Its taken several years to figure out whats ran to what on what box!

We wont get into the duct work put in 60 years after it was built and in one area is so big a chunky midget could live in it.. comfortably. Huge leg of DUCT work... ffs! We just ran smaller duct work inside of the darn thing so the air would actually make it to the top floor.
This year we're zoning the darn a/c and heat. Freaking money pit...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I would check to see how many 240 volt double pole breakers you have. A double pole basically looks like two breakers joined with a plastic bar. These are used when they install a sub panel somewhere in the house. I've seen them in crazy places. Hidden in attics, crawlspaces, really anywhere. You would need to verify both legs are receiving power to start, and that entails removing the panel cover and using a multimeter. For the average homeowner poking around in a main panel is risky i wouldn't advise it.

If a subpanel is the problem, either you have bad fuses in it, bad breakers in it, the wiring feeding it has a problem or the breaker supplying it has a problem.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

We're in the process of labeling everything too. We do actually have two boxes, because there's one in the main stable, that goes to both stables. (at least we've got that fully labelled).

The house is harder, because we always find more things off a particular breaker, that we didn't see before, so have to then redo the labels....

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Bummer, after a week of it not turning back on. I finally caved in. Someone will be looking at today. I looked under the house and it has a light switch. Is that normal? Maybe if I flip that everything will turn on.
edit on 13-3-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Could just be that someone put a light under there because they wanted to see where they were going...

That's why I put them in my attic.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Guess I'll find out when he gets here. I flipped it, but nothing happened.
No light turned on.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Good luck, hopefully just replacing a breaker.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Told you it was a conspiracy.

Worked fine when they were here, the minute they leave, all things go to heck. LOL

The room they stayed in was the one with the bad outlet, that shut half the house off. As soon as he fixed it. Everything worked again.

Man, really need to teach myself how to fix an outlet so I don't have to pay $80 bucks. lol

He said my breaker was fine.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Must have been the wire feeding the outlet or it would have just been the one outlet. Glad they could get it fixed for you...had to be one or the other (wire or breaker), for only part of the house to be dead. $80 isn't bad though...could have been worse.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

True.

Just glad to turn my heat back on.

I was afraid to turn it on in case of starting a fire.

Bah, back to cleaning.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This can happen if the installer doesn't pigtail his outlets. Basically on a duplex receptacle (standard two plug), you have four screws to wire it with. Two are hot (right side) and two are neutral (left side). If the receptacle is one of many on a circuit, most installers will use all four screws. Neutral in, neutral out to the next outlet, hot in, hot out to the next outlet. The circuit is carried on the outlet by a small brass bridge.

Wiring with the pigtail method requires both incoming and outgoing hot and neutral to be bonded together with a wire nut, along with a single hot and single neutral that go to the receptacle. This way your flow of electricity will remain in place even if the outlet goes bad. The first method while not common among professionals isn't really prone to failure so i'm guessing your installer probably used the back stab ports on the outlet. I would never recommend this method and it results in many failures. Basically if you look at the back of an outlet, you'll see four holes. These accept 14 awg wire, and hold the wire in place with a thin metal spring. There is very little contact area for the wire to conduct electricity, and can result in a high resistance connection that can create heat. This heat and repeated unplugging wears the connection down until it eventually fails.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join