It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Astronaut Carving On 12th Century Spanish Cathedral?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
hey mods WAKE UP and close this already? please???

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bottleslingguy
hey mods WAKE UP and close this already? please???

Yes it does I've pointed this out now twice .. Search function has many results

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

Actually, if you read the link you will learn it was RESTORED IN 1992. The carving was originally completed in the 12th century.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
From Portal do Astronomo (A Portuguese publication)

During the restoration of Port Ramos of the New Cathedral of Salamanca in 1992, contemporary and modern motifs were integrated , including a carved figure of an astronaut. The insertion of this is due to the tradition of the old cathedral builders and restorers, where adding contemporary motif is done, concealed among the older original motifs, in order to sign their works. The person responsible for the restoration, Jeronimo Garcia, chose an astronaut as a symbol of the twentieth century.

Original in Portuguese:

Durante o restauro da Porta de Ramos da Catedral Nova de Salamanca realizado em 1992, foram integrados motivos contemporâneos e modernos, entre os quais uma figura esculpida de um astronauta.
A inserção deste motivo deve-se à tradição dos antigos restauradores e construtores de catedrais que consistia em utilizar um motivo contemporâneo, dissimulado entre os motivos mais antigos, com o intuito de assinar as suas obras.

It would thus seem this astronaut was added during restoration.

Any photographs claiming to show the astronaut in place before restoration, may very well be suspect as photoshop'd versions artificially aged and damaged for the purpose of perpetuating a fiction about the astronaut being there all along.

edit on 9-3-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Some points about this story:

1 - this is not in a 12 century cathedral, it's on the new cathedral, started in 1513.
2 - as already said, the astronaut was added in 1992, to add something contemporary with the renovation that was made on the "Puerta de Ramos", before the "Las Edades del Hombre" expo of 1993.
3 - those that show the astronaut as some kind of proof of ancient astronauts do not show another thing that was added at the same time, in the same area, a dragon holding a three balls ice-cream cone.

4 - If the astronaut was there during all those centuries people would know it, it's not as if this is something hidden inside some dark, secret room, it's on the outside of the cathedra.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
First off, the example errs a bit in identifying the astronaut carving as adorning the wall of a cathedral built in 1102. The city of Salamanca in Spain is home to two adjacent cathedrals: The "Old Cathedral" (Catedral Vieja), begun in the 12th century, and the "New Cathedral" (Catedral Nueva), begun in the 16th century. The figure in question is part of latter, not the former. Still, finding this carving of an astronaut on the wall of a cathedral constructed between 1513 and 1733 would be quite remarkable, as the figure anticipates with amazing accuracy a form of technology not realized until centuries later.
Read more at www.snopes.com...

The restoration of the Cathedral of Salamanca in 1992 integrated modern and contemporary motifs, including a carved figure of an astronaut. The use of this motif was in the tradition of cathedral builders and restorers including contemporary motifs among older ones as a way of signing their works. The person responsible for the restoration, Jeronimo Garcia, chose an astronaut as a symbol of the twentieth century.
Read more at www.snopes.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The The Baptism of Christ painting shows a definitely shows a UFO.

"The Baptism of Christ" ~
Fitzwilliam Musuem, Cambridge, England
Painted in 1710 by Flemish artist Aert De Gelder

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Tachyeon
The The Baptism of Christ painting shows a definitely shows a UFO.

No, it shows what you interpret as a UFO.

To know what it really shows you should ask someone knowledgeable about the meaning of the things used in paintings, in this case in the 17th and 18th century.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Fully debunked aka a bomb, but it was fun while it was dropping.

BTW I think I am one of the few that read all the post.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

Actually if you watch the whole video, you'll see hi res photos of the figure before] the restoration work in 1992 (or whenever it was..) and you can see quite clearly that the original figure was essentially identical to the current one. All the restorers did was fix a broken arm and some facial details....

edit on 9-3-2013 by jimbo999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999
Actually if you watch the whole video, you'll see hi res photos of the figure before] the restoration work in 1992 (or whenever it was..) and you can see quite clearly that the original figure was essentially identical to the current one. All the restorers did was fix a broken arm and some facial details....

No, the video is made in a way to make people think that.

The astronaut was a victim of vandalism on September 20, 2010, the photos with the broken arm are from that time.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

World's biggest face palm.
I can't believe people think this was carved in the 12th century when the church was built. It is clearly stated that the figure was added in 1992. Why anyone would think it was from the 12th century is hysterical. Nothing like believing a lie. Beforeitsnews is one of the worst websites on the planet when it comes to finding truth.You'd have more luck quoting Nickelodeon.com for news. Some people are so gullible or don't bother to research anything they're told..

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join