It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Law Backs Guns in Class for Teachers in South Dakota

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

South Dakota became the first state in the nation to enact a law explicitly authorizing school employees to carry guns on the job, under a measure signed into law on Friday by Gov. Dennis Daugaard.

Well, it appears to be law now. Earlier threads have followed this through passing the S.D. House and it's other steps but by the signature of the Governor today, it would be official. South Dakota school employees can carry their legally permitted firearms at work. The restrictions are a bit extreme, if not ridiculous though. This doesn't mean just any CCW qualified teacher can have thier firearm. Far from it.

The law says that school districts may choose to allow a school employee, a hired security officer or a volunteer to serve as a “sentinel” who can carry a firearm in the school. The school district must receive the permission of its local law enforcement agency before carrying out the program. The law requires the sentinels to undergo training similar to what law enforcement officers receive.

“I think it does provide the same safety precautions that a citizen expects when a law enforcement officer enters onto a premises,” Mr. Daugaard said in an interview. He added that this law was more restrictive than those in other states that permit guns in schools.
Source

So I share this with somewhat mixed feelings. It's progress and positive in that sense.

If the next person in a South Dakota school to go postal happens to be a school employee, then by definition I'm willing to bet they'll know precisely who has the gun. They'll know who to shoot first and where to start the rampage. Of course, that aspect isn't considered with the over-regulation and fanatic tracking of which person may be trusted.

I've always felt adding a bit more training to the requirements for CCW permitting in general and then simply letting the standards of being issued that permit stand for themselves is sufficient.

These same teachers and staff are considered safe by the state to carry their weapons into Chuckie Cheese, Wal-Mart or the local arcade (and state laws vary). Why then are they considered inherently unsafe or untrustworthy at school/work?

One of life's little mysteries for how the logic is supposed to work I suppose.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

number of schools in the US

Considering there are that many schools, I have to ask... whats all the hub but about?

One nut case and one school? You can't prevent that. Even if every school teacher had a hidden gun, even if every school was built like a prison with guard towers and electric fences, somebody with evil intent would still find a way to get through. They'll use a bull dozer next time.

Its about the intent, not "the gun".

I heard that some schools are installing motorized barriers that seals the students in during the day. Electric locks and stuff. Thats easy. Set the school on fire...

You know that will be the result. Like the fires at night clubs where masses of people burn to death because entrances were blocked or guarded. Thats nuts.

Nothing anyone can do will protect the kiddies more than they are already. It makes some people feel better though to wring their hands and cry out for more guards and barriers and police and (background checks). These things will still happen rarely, the best thing to do is mourn, bury the dead and try to pick up the pieces and carry on.

If that doesn't suit you move to a desert island and live all alone for fear of somebody "getting you". Dig a hole and bury yourself under ten feet of cement with machine guns pointing in all directions. I say Good riddance. Leave everyone else alone to continue their lives without your bothersome meddling.

Not directed at you Wrabbit, just my opi..

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I hear ya and you make some good points. It's not that I want to see all teachers packing a gun or that I want to see schools become armed camps. I just want as much uncertainty about who may be armed and how many for a school as there is for a restaurant or store to the average criminal or crazy shooter.

It's not more guns carried by teachers I'd advocate, I simply don't see the need to specifically exclude their workplace, as it is in most states today, from the places they can carry their firearms once otherwise permitted and cleared by the state to carry concealed.

It's no magic solution to the problem. Hardly.....and I'd never suggest it would be. I just think it's leveling the playing field a bit and giving some deterrence to schools by that overall uncertainty.

I really believe that gun free environments are safe working areas for criminals and I'm sure they honestly would agree if asked in an open moment. It almost sounds silly in it's simplicity but the issue actually is that simple, IMO.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
You will never stop the violence with more guns… Stop believing the weapons sellers.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeanne75018
You will never stop the violence with more guns… Stop believing the weapons sellers.

I'm not "believing" anyone. I've grown up around firearms and been around them my entire life. I'm crowding on 40 these days, so that's a bit of time to have formed by own opinions without the help or advice of gun dealers, the MSM or anti-gun agendas.

You are right that 'more guns' solve nothing. Why would they? Guns are inanimate objects. More of them changes nothing. Intelligent, capable and law abiding adults who carry what they already have and received a permit for CAN reduce crime incidence by deterrence and..in the end...termination of a crime by force if no other choice exists.

As the saying goes... Guns may not stop crime but being unarmed insures you'll have no defense if violent crime finds you and yours. In the modern United States? Odds of it finding each of us in our lives are strong and growing.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I just think it's leveling the playing field a bit and giving some deterrence to schools by that overall uncertainty.

Oh, I get that. Sorry if I landed too hard, I totally agree with deterrence for schools. The wackos of the world would think twice if they thought they could be stopped by a teacher with a gun. You notice these murderers don't attack police stations? Instead where do they land? Movie theaters, schools, malls. Anywhere they are reasonably sure of spreading as much mayhem as possible before they are stopped.

If in fact people were allowed to open carry, there might be less of these occurrences. That is just my opinion about that.

Look at the state that is planning to adopt this law... Oklahoma? I don't think they have many of this type of mass murder events, they are already pro gun as can be. Who would pick this place to open fire? It wouldn't last long.

On the other hand, the mass murder cases happen at places where gun laws are already strict.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Very true and agreed all around.

You didn't land too hard at all. I was replying to you but also generally making some points for the overall discussion. That might have made it sound a touch more adversarial than intended... I think we pretty well agree though. An armed population of reasonable and level headed people tends to be a polite and well behaved one. I'd also agree the stats show that the more severe gun laws exist almost without fail, where crime is the highest and life is taken as the cheapest.

I think Oklahoma and Missouri are both good states with level headed people.
Certainly happy ones, all things considered.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Good for you. Don't over react and keep your powder dry.

new topics

top topics

join