It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you rather be a prisoner in the Vietnam war or present day Iraq?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I just finished watching Apocalypse Now and was wondering:

Would you rather be a prisoner in the Vietnam War or a prisoner in present day Iraq?

It seems as if every prisoner we've seen eventually gets beheaded in Iraq however would you rather endure upwards of five years of torture in Vietnam with the possibility to survive?

Personally, I would much rather endure the torture than be guaranteed absolute death by the hands of some insurgent.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
There are no 'prisoners' in Iraq. They are hostages. They are held, and if demands are not met, they are executed. Prisoners were simply held (and beaten and tortured yes, but not used for leverage unless part of some exchange).

Semantics aside, I would also rather be a POW in Vietnam that Iraq. 5 years of hell is better than 10 seconds of murder.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I was never a POW in the NAM. I also never wanted to be one either. The same goes today in Iraq.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
My uncle was a POW in Korea.

He weighed 70 pounds and couldnt walk when he got home. He lived on bugs and rats they caught in his cell. He looked like someone from a Nazi camp.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by pfcret
I was never a POW in the NAM. I also never wanted to be one either. The same goes today in Iraq.

I also never want to be a POW in either situation, but if you had a choice, which one would you decide?

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I would take the torture of Vietnam inprisonment, because the other almost always is death and or prolonged unjustices that are more demoralizing than being beat.

top topics

join