It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Euthanizing the Defectives.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I understand that this topic is going to be not well received by many.
And that's OK, I can take the criticism and hate that will be coming. I welcome all perspectives to help me understand the opposing thought process.

I will state up front that I am not a parent, I don't have any kind of emotional attachment to children of my own. So maybe I'm just not grasping the whole parent/kid thing. But I understand the concept, and where parents will be coming from. (You love your kid and don't want any harm to come to it/them)

So here we go.

I have seen many autistic and/or otherwise severely physically or mentally defective children and adults. And frankly it baffles me why anyone would choose to inflict that life on another living creature. Let alone your own flesh and blood.

If we had the technology to fix everything it would be different, but we don't. So these parents are willfully subjecting their children to a lifetime of hardship, frustration and ridicule. They may be able to convince themselves otherwise, but that's the world we live in. It's not fair, but when has life ever been fair?

Frankly, I think it's just selfishness on the parent's part, or denial. But this is just my opinion.

What if their minds work perfectly fine, but the hardware prevents the intended responses and actions to translate into what they were intended to, and that is what the rest of us are seeing? I think that would be my worst nightmare. A mind trapped in a brain and/or body that doesn't cooperate with my intentions.

So, I think. In the best interests of these unfortunate individuals, their parents in the long run, and the species as a whole, that these individuals should be euthanized as soon as it is determined that the situation can not be corrected by medical means.

Ok ATS, let me have it.
What are your thoughts?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Are you trolling?

If not, where is the line drawn in what determines who is 'defective'?

edit on 8-3-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It sounds like you've never known someone with any of those conditions.

I've worked with Special Olympics and my experience is the opposite of what you describe.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
so let's say both your mom and dad develop alzheimer's disease, and they are likely to live 20 yrs with it.

are you gonna off them?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

That is a very good question that I have not really thought through.

If nothing else, I am very practical. So yes, I think I would find some way to end my parents frustration and confusion in the least painful way possible.

A pillow in their sleep comes to mind.
edit on 8-3-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by TheOtter

I do have much experience working more parallel than with such people. And they seem to me to be trapped in a world not our own. Experiencing everything through a filter of sorts.

And if they find joy in that filter?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

And they seem to me to be trapped in a world not our own. Experiencing everything through a filter of sorts.

Tell me more about how this makes them 'defective'?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOtter

I have not observed such behavior.

And as I said this is equally about everyone else as it is them. How are we to know they are happy and not just less miserable for a short time?

I think there is a difference.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
with what the norm is in society and societal views on this , it would seem you are the defective one among many of us , are you going to off yourself

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn

And they seem to me to be trapped in a world not our own. Experiencing everything through a filter of sorts.

Tell me more about how this makes them 'defective'?

If someone is unable to care for themselves, or function in an acceptable manner in the rest of society without constant supervision. Then they could be considered a liability and safety hazard to the general public, not to mention a drain on resources and manpower.

Failure to function as designed = defective.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

If nothing else, I am very practical. So yes, I think I would find some way to end my parents frustration and confusion in the least painful way possible.

What about all the useless overweight people, or the ones who suffer from addictions? How about the slow kids? You know. The ones who are not outright killable for being autistic or mentally retarded, but just kinda slow? Oh, and hey, how about the people who are blind or handicapped in other ways? Surely, they could be "spared" their lives of suffering as well.

You said you had not really "thought it through." I'd agree with that.

Maybe you could do that now, and get back with us, because the biggest "defective" thing in this whole thread so far is your reasoning... and humanity.
edit on 8-3-2013 by JustSlowlyBackAway because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
with what the norm is in society and societal views on this , it would seem you are the defective one among many of us , are you going to off yourself

You are just being rude, but I'll answer your question anyway.

No, I have no intention of offing myself.

Why would I? I provide desirable services to the population, I am self reliant. I require no supervision to perform my daily actions.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Will you play the game with fairness. That would mean offing all the politicians, probably world wide.

I have worked with children that you wish to kill. Go spend some real time with them and see if you change your mind. If you don't then please feel free to get yourself a Darwin Award. Make it a good one!

P

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Careful what you wish for......

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well, let's see. First of all, you try to euthanize my autistic son, and you'll be climbing a pile of dead bodies to do so.

Second, the disability does not give him a miserable life. He's actually one of the happiest kids I know. I wish I had as much positive energy as he does.

Third, euthanize kids with autism, and you'll end up taking out our next Einstein, or Joseph Strauss, or Frank Lloyd Wright. My son constantly amazes me with his almost instantaneous grasp of math and science. In 8th grade, he can balance chemical formulas faster than I can, and I was a bio-chem major for two years back in the day. Temple Grandin (who single handedly revolutionized livestock handling) is quoted as saying:

“In an ideal world the scientist should find a method to prevent the most severe forms of autism but allow the milder forms to survive. After all, the really social people did not invent the first stone spear. It was probably invented by an Aspie who chipped away at rocks while the other people socialized around the campfire. Without autism traits we might still be living in caves.”

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

In the future such things will be cureable.

How greatfull would you be... being someone cured?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

No not being rude just an observation , most people in society are caring , compassionate , guess you never seen an autistic child smile before . or who have grown up to have jobs and be members of society , as well with mentally handi capped . What you are theorizing , killing toddlers , and infants and and sick elderly with out consent . does make you defective among the vast majority .

However if I end up with brain damage and will be in a vegetative state I do have in writing that I want the plugged pulled that is my decision not anyone else .

ETA So maybe yo should rethink your stance to us you appear defective and by your own logic you should off yourself
edit on 8/3/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/3/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustSlowlyBackAway

What about all the useless overweight people, or the ones who suffer from addictions? How about the slow kids? You know. The ones who are not outright killable for being autistic or mentally retarded, but just kinda slow? Oh, and hey, how about the people who are blind or handicapped in other ways? Surely, they could be "spared" their lives of suffering as well.

You said you had not really "thought it through." I'd agree with that.

Maybe you could do that now, and get back with us, because the biggest "defective" thing in this whole thread so far is your reasoning... and humanity.
edit on 8-3-2013 by JustSlowlyBackAway because: (no reason given)

The "Not thought it through" statement was regarding my parents, if they develop Alzheimer's.

Being overweight is a self inflicted condition that can be corrected. But if they become unable to attend to themselves they should be left to fend for themselves. The slow ones can hired clean up the resulting mess.

I have no patience for those who develop degenerative addictions that become a nuisance to society, they can be dealt with accordingly if they commit any crimes.

Being blind or deaf can be corrected these days.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Not that I believe in that sort of thing. I seen shows (on PBS) about quality of life and the decision to Euthanize for people. You'd be surprised how often what you are touching upon happens even now. When I googled it i got this questionnaire about pets...

kind of freaky to consider how quick we are to put them down for reasons that, if applied to people, would be considered criminal.

When to euthanize...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join