Proof Smokers live longer than non smokers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Top ten oldest are smokers? Possible. What about the other side of the coin...There always is another side.
Did you research how many people died today from Tobacco products?
I am not here to debunk your thread...just to debunk smoking.

A friend of mine just passed away of Lung Cancer. He simply wasn't able to quit even though he developed emphysema. His wife ...A Nurse for a long time, tried to help him stop.
I too am an RN, and even though we were friends, he would not listen... it was to no avail. My friend knew we were not just standing on ceremony. And then he died.

I could relate horror stories to this board of the things I have seen concerning tobacco, but those things at the very least would be indiscreet.

I worked in hospice for some time, and even viewed autopsies of heavy smokers. It is an addiction, and like all addictions, the smoker will do anything to enable themselves to smoke.

I actually smoked myself for 20 years. So I do not speak without firsthand experience.
When my Dr told me I was developing wheezes in my chest, I enlisted the help of my wife and friends, and I stopped. I should have known better in the first place....I am now smoke free as of 21 years. I am 63, and very active. A Century and 100K cyclist. I am retired now, and still very healthy. If I had smoked, I probably would not be here now. I won't live as long as the top 10, and I am still glad I do not smoke.

I have heard some people say they are going to enjoy life even if they die at a younger age.
It isn't the age you die at that matters, but the manner of your passing. there are fates worse than death, and if the ciggs get you, your end may not be what you expected.

Do a Search of Advanced COPD and Emphysema. And end stage Lung Cancers.

Then there are those like in this post that live a ripe old age. I believe approximately 10 were mentioned?
If I were allowed to do so which I am not, I would reveal 10 times that number that died much younger and in great distress.
Smoking is a killer. It is slow, insidious, and deadly. there is not a single good thing concerning it.
Never the less I will defend the right of anyone to smoke if they so choose, as long as I am not forced to breath it, and not pay for their medical care later on.
It isn't when you die. we all will...but rather it is how. Smoking will change the endgame.
And in this case, the other guy [smoking] will most likely be the winner.
edit on 8-3-2013 by DavidsHope because: sp

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I love the lunacy of the thinking process that allows someone to come to the conclusion that inhaling a toxic, addictive and pointless substance makes you live longer.

I never ever use the phrase, but something about cool aid.. hmm hmm refreshing.

It's such a pristine logic, set all alone within it's own boundaries. You cannot fight it with normal logic, you cannot sway it with a tempered rational. You can only observe it. And wonder, how on earth it stays resolute in the minds of those who hold it.

Granny fartwhiffer might live to the ripe old age of 120 and smoke two tonnes of tobacco in a pipe a day.

I very much doubt it is because she did, that she does.

What's next!

"Meet Bob. Bob has spent every day for the past 68 years in the sun from dawn till dusk, butt naked. And doesn't he have a lovely tan. Also, he never got skin cancer so hey you rascally kids, why not join old bob out here in the 38c sun with a uv index of 900. It's good for what ails ya, fun for the whole family."

Now you must excuse me I have to blutac the microwave door back on while I heat up my underpants.

edit on 8-3-2013 by winofiend because: dawn till duck.. now thats quackers...

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA
Just trying to figure out again, your claim is that smoking is not harmful for the human body?

"Why does smoking raise cancer risk?

Scientists say there are over 4,000 compounds in cigarette smoke. A sizeable number of them are toxic - they are bad for us and damage our cells. Some of them cause cancer - they are carcinogenic.

Tobacco smoke consists mainly of:

Nicotine - this is not carcinogenic. However, it is highly addictive. Smokers find it very hard to quit because they are hooked on the nicotine. Nicotine is an extremely fast-acting drug. It reaches the brain within 15 seconds of being inhaled. If cigarettes and other tobacco products had no nicotine, the number of people who smoke every day would drop drastically. Without nicotine, the tobacco industry would collapse.
Nicotine is used as a highly controlled insecticide. Exposure to sufficient amounts can lead to vomiting, seizures, depression of the CNS (central nervous system), and growth retardation. It can also undermine a fetus' proper development.

Carbon Monoxide - this is a poisonous gas. It has no smell or taste. The body finds it hard to differentiate carbon monoxide from oxygen and absorbs it into the bloodstream. Faulty boilers emit dangerous carbon monoxide, as do car exhausts.

If there is enough carbon monoxide around you and you inhale it, you can go into a coma and die. Carbon monoxide decreases muscle and heart function, it causes fatigue, weakness, and dizziness. It is especially toxic for babies still in the womb, infants and indifividuals with heart or lung disease.

Tar - consists of several cancer-causing chemicals. When a smoker inhales cigarette smoke, 70% of the tar remains in the lungs. Try the handkerchief test. Fill the mouth with smoke, don't inhale, and blow the smoke through the handkerchief. There will be a sticky, brown stain on the cloth. Do this again, but this time inhale and the blow the smoke through the cloth, there will only be a very faint light brown stain."

Full source article.

First article

From a different article

"The key finding is that both the hazards of smoking and, correspondingly, the benefits of stopping are bigger than previous studies have suggested; smokers who stopped around age 30 avoided 97% of their excess risk of premature death, and although serious excess hazards remained for decades among those who smoked until age 40 before stopping, the excess hazards among those who continued smoking after age 40 were ten times bigger."

2 article on why smoking is bad

Well if you bought pizza with petrol in it I would say you were mad' thats why I smoke American Spirit or Pueblo

I said smoking is not bad for you, but you are naming brands that have chemicals in them, why not take the chemicals out an easy law for governments to pass.

Listen eating cornflakes wont kill you but if you bought cornflakes with 4000 chemicals in them, I would tell you to give them up, You do know that a pint of milk has 5025 chemicals in it and the government claims milk is good for you.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I smoked for about 15 years and quit about 3 years ago.
Since then my health has declined....wtf?

Maybe the smokes were covering up health problems and when i quit they became more pronounced?
I dont know either way i feel worse since i quit the smokes.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
If you want to compare smoking to eating cornflakes then nothing anyone says here is going to make any sense with you.

I'll try and take your side for a minute though .

Smoking all natural herbs may not be dangerous..
The is no defensible stance on smoking tobacco cigarettes.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA
If you want to compare smoking to eating cornflakes then nothing anyone says here is going to make any sense with you.

I'll try and take your side for a minute though .

Smoking all natural herbs may not be dangerous..
The is no defensible stance on smoking tobacco cigarettes.

Hold on mate'

I used cornflakes as an example, any product that you put in your body with 4000 chemicals will do damage Id assume, what Im saying is that there is tobacco with no chemicals in it and thats what I smoke.

I said cornflakes are safe but if you put 4000 chemicals in cornflakes then I would say dont eat them.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Yes was that tobacco that they rolled themselves or the more modern cigarettes out now? Is there a difference in additives then from now? Was it organic tobacco that they grew themselves or purchased or the tobacco plants now? Not to mention the individuals propensity towards health problems..

There are too many variables to accurately state that they will live longer. You need a larger control group with the tobacco itself being kept the same for their entire lives.

Trust me, I want this to be true. I would buy a pack tomorrow.

Smoke free for 67 days now.

American spirit and Pueblo

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope
Top ten oldest are smokers? Possible. What about the other side of the coin...There always is another side.

A friend of mine just passed away of Lung Cancer. He simply wasn't able to quit even though he developed emphysema. His wife ...A Nurse for a long time, tried to help him stop.
I too am an RN, and even though we were friends, he would not listen... it was to no avail. My friend knew we were not just standing on ceremony. And then he died.

I could relate horror stories to this board of the things I have seen concerning tobacco, but those things at the very least would be indiscreet.

I worked in hospice for some time, and even viewed autopsies of heavy smokers. It is an addiction, and like all addictions, the smoker will do anything to enable themselves to smoke.

I actually smoked myself for 20 years. So I do not speak without firsthand experience.
When my Dr told me I was developing wheezes in my chest, I enlisted the help of my wife and friends, and I stopped. I should have known better in the first place....I am now smoke free as of 21 years. I am 63, and very active. A Century and 100K cyclist. I am retired now, and still very healthy. If I had smoked, I probably would not be here now. I won't live as long as the top 10, and I am still glad I do not smoke.

I have heard some people say they are going to enjoy life even if they die at a younger age.
It isn't the age you die at that matters, but the manner of your passing. there are fates worse than death, and if the ciggs get you, your end may not be what you expected.

Then there are those like in this post that live a ripe old age. I believe approximately 10 were mentioned?
If I were allowed to do so which I am not, I would reveal 10 times that number that died much younger and in great distress.
Smoking is a killer. It is slow, insidious, and deadly. there is not a single good thing concerning it.
Never the less I will defend the right of anyone to smoke if they so choose, as long as I am not forced to breath it, and not pay for their medical care later on.
It isn't when you die. we all will...but rather it is how. Smoking will change the endgame.

You say yourself that you believe that smoking is a slow killer, 20 30 40 years, I have even saw reports of 87 year old actor died he was a heavy smoker, They cannot loose, they tax you a fortune and say it will kill you in 20 30 40 years and the ones that live to a 100 oh they are just lucky.
Tell me where you mate lived and what his occupation was and what type of property he lived in and see if I can come up with any info for you to show that it might not have been smoking.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Yeah I don't know about the smoking proof. It hits some people quick and others seem to never have a health issue. One friend of mine smoked for 70 odd years without a health issue let alone any trace of cancer. She ended up dying fromm natural causes.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope

Im glad you dont smoke if that gives you peace of mind, I know the dangers of meat and dont eat meat but no matter how much research I do I cant find that much danger in smoking, but I would never dream of going on and on about meat eaters the way non smokers go on about smoking.

I said to my doctor' ok going by the medical proffesional figures, eating meat causes 35% of all cancers and smoking causes 15%, so Im 20% to the good.

He said it does not work that way, I said well it does in my book. they cant have it both ways.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavmas
In 2006 the 10 oldest people in the world were smokers that is a fact.

Here is a video of a smoker who smoked for years 70 years and tells in the video how smoking actually saved his life

www.youtube.com...

Let me see if I understand this correctly....

You show 11 cases as proof that smokers live longer than non smokers.

In 2012 the CDC estimated that there are roughly 443,000 deaths per year due to smoking.

I think it is safe to say you will need a lot more "proof" dont you think?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
What is in a cigarette? ALA

Acetone – found in nail polish remover
Acetic Acid – an ingredient in hair dye
Ammonia – a common household cleaner
Arsenic – used in rat poison
Benzene – found in rubber cement
Butane – used in lighter fluid
Cadmium – active component in battery acid
Carbon Monoxide – released in car exhaust fumes
Formaldehyde – embalming fluid
Hexamine – found in barbecue lighter fluid
Lead – used in batteries
Napthalene – an ingredient in moth balls
Methanol – a main component in rocket fuel
Nicotine – used as insecticide
Tar – material for paving roads
Toluene - used to manufacture paint

Quit in August, though I do enjoy a cig once in a bluemoon. Nasty little buggers, but as a prior smoker it does have its comfort value.
edit on 8-3-2013 by RooskiZombi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
Yeah I don't know about the smoking proof. It hits some people quick and others seem to never have a health issue. One friend of mine smoked for 70 odd years without a health issue let alone any trace of cancer. She ended up dying fromm natural causes.

In all honesty I think its your luck, not everyone can eat nuts, some people will destroy their liver with very little drink, some people are thin and other people are fat despite them eating the same, some people are bald some are not.

Some smoker die some do not, but this is where I have the problem, im 54 and for the last 40 years I have been made to pay through the nose because someone sat in a lab and cooked the books so government have data in their hands that showed smoking kills and they could tax and tax my habit..

Smoking is a drug YES, smoking kills NO. but the fact that its a drug enables them to act as my dealer and push the price up and up knowing Im hooked then have the cheek to tell me its for my own good.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandiwine14
reply to post by pavmas

I feel for you smokers because addiction sucks but this post of yours is absurd.

I get that sometimes some people are just lucky, some people do everything else right and for some their body handles toxins differently. No two people are alike so sure some people can smoke up until there 90's and be a.okay but that is a very...very rare thing.

I use to smoke too but i quit almost six years ago right after I watched my mother who came to visit take a drag off her smoke then put her oxygen back in her nostrils. Something snapped in me and I thought that will never be me. I quit, it took a month of patches but I did it, not one drag since.

My mom got so tired of waking up choking, and not being able to walk more than two steps or have a simple conversation, plus pneumonia was almost always present in the end that she took her own life at just 48 years old. She smoked a pack a day plus since she was 16. She had COPD and Emphysema and would have lived according to her doctors no more than four more years.

How can you sit around your computer and willingly put out false information that some kid could see and think "if they can, so can I". You should be ashamed of yourself. Stop trying to make yourself feel better about your own habits by putting out false info. Grow up dude. Some people smoke, some dont, some will survive it for a long time and others won't but there is nothing good about it period.

this is what is in a cigarette, still think it's good for you?
www.homebusinessandfamilylife.com...

edit on 8-3-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

Kids listen to this post,,, and me

SMOKING KILLS it also drastically reduces the quality of llfe,
SMOKING causes amputations, something i narrowly avoided.
SMOKING Causes Lung and other kinds of cancer

The list is long

Don't be STUPID Don't Smoke

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RooskiZombi
What is in a cigarette? ALA

Acetone – found in nail polish remover
Acetic Acid – an ingredient in hair dye
Ammonia – a common household cleaner
Arsenic – used in rat poison
Benzene – found in rubber cement
Butane – used in lighter fluid
Cadmium – active component in battery acid
Carbon Monoxide – released in car exhaust fumes
Formaldehyde – embalming fluid
Hexamine – found in barbecue lighter fluid
Lead – used in batteries
Napthalene – an ingredient in moth balls
Methanol – a main component in rocket fuel
Nicotine – used as insecticide
Tar – material for paving roads
Toluene - used to manufacture paint

Quit in August, though I do enjoy a cig once in a bluemoon. Nasty little buggers, but as a prior smoker it does have its comfort value.
edit on 8-3-2013 by RooskiZombi because: (no reason given)

You get tobacco with no additives, I think they put worse in the food we eat

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
When just about everyone sees or hears smoking they think smoking cigarettes .
You claim you are not smoking those but natural tobacco.
You claim that you can't find proof that tobacco is bad for you.
Im not going to try and debate if pure tobacco is good for you as your title is really sort of disingenuous if you meant pure tobacco.

I could list the following from the CDC and find equivalent listings from other world health organizations making the same case. It doesn't matter because smokers will focus on the odd example of someone that smoked for 78 years and didn't die while so many numbers prove otherwise.

It is your choice to smoke and as long as smokers stay away from the non-smoking public , enjoy it!

"Overview

Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body. Smoking causes many diseases and reduces the health of smokers in general.1

Smoking and Death

Smoking causes death.

The adverse health effects from cigarette smoking account for an estimated 443,000 deaths, or nearly one of every five deaths, each year in the United States.2,3

More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined.2,4

Smoking causes an estimated 90% of all lung cancer deaths in men and 80% of all lung cancer deaths in women.1
An estimated 90% of all deaths from chronic obstructive lung disease are caused by smoking.1"
edit on 8-3-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

Originally posted by brandiwine14
reply to post by pavmas

I feel for you smokers because addiction sucks but this post of yours is absurd.

I get that sometimes some people are just lucky, some people do everything else right and for some their body handles toxins differently. No two people are alike so sure some people can smoke up until there 90's and be a.okay but that is a very...very rare thing.

I use to smoke too but i quit almost six years ago right after I watched my mother who came to visit take a drag off her smoke then put her oxygen back in her nostrils. Something snapped in me and I thought that will never be me. I quit, it took a month of patches but I did it, not one drag since.

My mom got so tired of waking up choking, and not being able to walk more than two steps or have a simple conversation, plus pneumonia was almost always present in the end that she took her own life at just 48 years old. She smoked a pack a day plus since she was 16. She had COPD and Emphysema and would have lived according to her doctors no more than four more years.

How can you sit around your computer and willingly put out false information that some kid could see and think "if they can, so can I". You should be ashamed of yourself. Stop trying to make yourself feel better about your own habits by putting out false info. Grow up dude. Some people smoke, some dont, some will survive it for a long time and others won't but there is nothing good about it period.

this is what is in a cigarette, still think it's good for you?
www.homebusinessandfamilylife.com...

edit on 8-3-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

Kids listen to this post,,, and me

SMOKING KILLS it also drastically reduces the quality of llfe,
SMOKING causes amputations, something i narrowly avoided.
SMOKING Causes Lung and other kinds of cancer

The list is long

Don't be STUPID Don't Smoke

Oh come on mate
Smoking is the least of this generations problems.
Just like cancer exploded we now have diabetes exploding, and what are they blaming diabetes on, playing computers, cream cakes, fast food, lack of excercise etc.

The one important thing they miss out is that new born babies are being born with Type 1 diabetes not type 2.
Type 1 was known as the old mans illness now we have kids born with it.

I wish smoking was all kids had to worry about, Diabetes will do more damage than any cancer.

In the next 20 years the whole NHS budget will be taken up by diabetes alone. There will be no treatment or medicine for these kids.

yeah I wish smoking was the only thing they had to worry about

www.youtube.com...

please have a look at this link

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Well the trouble seems to be, as more people give up smoking..the incidence of diabetes and obesity is going up..the incidence of altzhiemers is going up, stress related diseases is going up...So what they thought would be an easy save on the medical budget not to mention more production time because people were not taking a smoke break has backfired in one heck of a remarkable way.plus the fact that the brainwashing campaign has turned smokers into the new leapers, and family members against family.Which only goes to prove what a load of idiots we really are
.Not to mention the imorality of the price rises which goes to prove that governments really are the biggest benifiters of drug addiction.The latest i heard was processed meat eaters were more likel;y to die of cancer than anybody else, but isnt it a fact that if one person does something which he seems to be enjoying someone else will get the same buzz out of stopping them doing it....Anyway no one leaves earth alive.No one can do much about that, live and let live be kind to each other.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by anonentity
reply to post by opethPA

Well the trouble seems to be, as more people give up smoking..the incidence of diabetes and obesity is going up..the incidence of altzhiemers is going up, stress related diseases is going up...So what they thought would be an easy save on the medical budget not to mention more production time because people were not taking a smoke break has backfired in one heck of a remarkable way.plus the fact that the brainwashing campaign has turned smokers into the new leapers, and family members against family.Which only goes to prove what a load of idiots we really are
.Not to mention the imorality of the price rises which goes to prove that governments really are the biggest benifiters of drug addiction.The latest i heard was processed meat eaters were more likel;y to die of cancer than anybody else, but isnt it a fact that if one person does something which he seems to be enjoying someone else will get the same buzz out of stopping them doing it....Anyway no one leaves earth alive.No one can do much about that, live and let live be kind to each other.

Sorry their is no debate, smoking cigarettes is unhealthy and can kill you..
The OP is stating smoking pure tobacco without any chemicals is not as bad for you and that case can be made.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by anonentity
reply to post by opethPA

I was told by my diabetic nurse there would never be a cure for diabetes as its a bigger earner than cancer' there is to much research and money in it. Diabetes will bankrupt every health service in the world.

India has just went nuts and its really exploded over there, and they have a billion people they need to get rid off who have no jobs and live in poverty,
Could be chemicals, monsanto, know one knows, but its not with eating cream cakes.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join