It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid flyby on 9 March

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It's the 'just a few days ago' bit that's beginning to worry me....

2013 ET: another approaching 100m asteroid discovered just few days ago!

On 3 March 2013, the Catalina Sky Survey discovered 2013 ET, a small asteroid with an estimated size around 100 meters. This cosmic rock is approaching our planet and on 9 March at 12:09 UT will reach a minimum distance from the Earth of a bit less than one millions of km, about 2.5 times the distance of the Moon. Of course, there are no risks at all for our planet, as usual it will be nice to spot this fast moving object while it crosses the winter skies.

The Virtual Telescope will offer a public, free online observing session of this asteroid next 8 Mar. 2013, at 19:00 Universal Time. As usual, real time images will be made available on our webTV, with the live commentary of the astrophysicist Gianluca Masi, PhD.

asteroid 2013 ET was imaged by the Virtual Telescope robotic facility in Italy. This about 100-meters large asteroid will reach a minimum distance of about 950.000 km from us next March 9. It is worth to underline that there are NO risks at all of collision.

On March 4, the Planewave 17 robotic unit pointed this object and its Paramount ME robotic mount tracked the asteroid, so it looks like a point of light, while stars are trailed. The image above is the average of three, 90 seconds exposures.

source:
[link to www.virtualtelescope.eu]

As for comet Pan-Starrs, next Friday is supposed to be the best date to see in the Northern Hemisphere. Hope this asteroid isn't a forerunner of the comet!

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mclinking

I watched a very interesting programme on the meteorite that exploded in Russia the other evening. It appears that the only reason it did explode was because of hairline cracks consistent with a collision with another asteroid in space. If it hadn't had these cracks then it may not have exploded in the atmosphere and caused a lot more damage on the ground.

I think that one incident proves that whilst we are making advances in tracking these objects, they will from time to time, slip through the net.

Very little we can do about it currently.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Well, let's just hope it lands and falls so we can make it rich quick.

I wonder how much comet could be worth?

edit on 8-3-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Here one that will come even closer only .4 LD your at 2.5 LD
just a bit less then haft way to the moon on the same day

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov... EC20;orb=1

These two are comet
apod.nasa.gov...
edit on 8-3-2013 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

People want prove of the Pleiades and their evil plan? Just wait. Ur gunna see some unexplainable *events* and someones gunna blow up the same asteroid they sent at us

Similarly The draconian ships are made of asteroids. Nibiru?

This should be interesting. The Pleiades, draconians, and Orions of arcerus are going to have an interesting showdown. Well the greys stay neutral until the abducting freenzy. Its like a bunch of teenagers that grew pot fighting over how many grams they can divide among the group. Orion wants to hold us for themselves as we are their creation. But people are still getting plucked off the earth by random creatures stopping by here. lol. The universe is a gruesome place? Anyways. To narrow things down. Ur gunna see some ship be like pew pew pew if its lucifer trying to win the trust of everyone.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Hope this asteroid isn't a forerunner of the comet!

It isn't. PannStarrs is very far away and on a completely different orbit from that of 2013 ET.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Is it unidentified? Like a USO? unidentified space Orbit? lol.

What asteroid is it?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
What? Did Phage just say this wasn't a comet?

Bummer, there goes my dream vacation.

So What is it now?

A Man-Made space machine like Transformers?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Here one their did no see coming
Nice vid and picture Ya go home nothing to see here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

March 7, 2013 @ Valasske Mezirici, Czech Republic
spaceweather.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
We already had two new 1 lunar distances in March, you can check out Spaceweather.com archives if they are not still listed, so there is a lot of stuff about, but against that is the growing ability to detect them, and by anyone who has the time and inclination, those organisations including NASA are looking for more helpers to detect and establish orbits, and once done is not new anymore, or may have been in retrograde, perhaps an object seen before in isolation. The more that is catalogued, the more is known.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Another one... this is a little weird. So the Russian meteorite, the flyby that day and another a week ago and now a 100 meter rock just discovered on the 3rd? Am I missing any others?

This is more asteroid (and comet) traffic than I remember... well, ever. Some expected, some just spotted. Either way it seems we're entering a crowded area of space.

Here's hoping they miss.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Here a few more from Japan
sonotaco.jp...

top topics

join