It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concrete Canvas Shelters

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
After the review by my technical staff we did not pick this for our aquapoincs operation. It is just not cost effective when compared to making it ourselves. We are technology freaks at my company This is just too cheap to replicate for 10% of their price. Good luck to them. They are just too greedy or just too small and pricey to make it in my expert opinion.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Here is how they do this in a nut shell. They have a hopper full of what is called Grancrete or phosphate ceramic. It feeds into a line of fiber glass mat that is of various thicknesses. There is a vibratory fill system that works the finely powdered ceramic material into the fiber mat. On exit the now ceramic particle infused fiber mats are backed in the bottom with a PVC film and is topped with a thin layer of fine mesh fiberglass scrim. This results in a continues roll of ceramic not cement based material that hardens when it gets wet and then can be used for structures.

It is over priced by about 90% of value if you set up your own process of a similar material. I hate it when good ideas for technologies price themselves out of the market.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Could this stuff make roofing material do ya think Cookie?
Would be a lot simpler than two ply torch on, or shingles etc....
also why not shoot more concrete onto the hardened structure even wire for strength then another layer...to add thickness, and why not spray styrofoam over the first layer then put a top skin on...? just askin?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Ever spill crazy glue on cotton cloth? same thing happens and even lighter so maybe the same thing can be acomplished that way instead of spending +$25k in one of these.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
S&F!!! Thanks for posting.

We have considered getting a tornado shelter because of the area we live in. This looks like a good option.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing that,sugarcookies!

Something worth looking into.

Peace,
K

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by endats01

I agree with the price that thats over the top I doubt they will sell allot of them at that price but ya never know..There is no way i could buy one of these at the price there asking its to bad its a great idea..sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

edit on 8-3-2013 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

stirling
I dont see why not for roofing material but i was wondering about the weight when that stuff gets wet its very heavy but its a very good idea it would probably last forever..I know shingles don't last that long Ive redone mine twice but the second time was storm damage but i bet this concrete would hold up under almost anything..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Emeraldous

Emeraldous
Good idea i was wondering about fiberglass but i don't know enough about the subject to make a call on it..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Jeesus dont think this is good enough for tornado shelter.....
you need concrete not cloth and a binding agent....
Buy a cement mixer 300 $ at home depot
Cement is cheap and gravel and sand can be free to cheep too
Get some old steel or what have you (cable makes good rebar, or old chainlink fencing from the dump etc)
Dont rely on this half assed stuff which is really for much stronger than a canvas garage shelter you buy at wally world....
But thats a whole other thread.....
couldnt this be reinforced after its dry cookie?
maybe with ferro concrete??

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kituwa

Kituwa
I agree this would be a great option but the price seems to be over the top but id look into if i were you..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Hello kdog
hey thanks for posting and yes its something to look into for sure..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

stirling
Im sure this could be built allot cheaper then what there asking if you know about how to work cement re bar, or old chainlink fencing I'm sure would work to make it even more stable ..I see no reason why this cant be reinforced after its dry in fact i think it would be a good idea I'm going to have to look into that..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

This isn't just a piece of canvas dusted with cement. It looks to be a concrete mix between a sheet of of pvc and canvas. It sure isn't concrete and steel and I'm sure better can be done for less, given the time but, this is meant for post catastrophe shelter, when time not available.

concrete canvas

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

daskakik
I agree this is meant for a quick set up thats stable and sterile for disaster relief all is needed is 2 people a truck to roll it out a fan to blow it up and stakes and of course water..I'm sure our government has looked into this idea by now the price is set so high the average person is not going to be able to afford this set up so making your own is probably a good idea if you have lots of time on your hands id rather buy one of these thats ready to go building one from scratch sounds like allot of work..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I understand but the quick and easy deployment is included in the price. Unless you also plan on using it that way it doesn't make sense to pay for it. I was also just pointing out that it isn't just a stiff sheet of canvas.

I think that if you plan on building something ahead of time then one of those canvas garage shelters that stirling mentioned would be a cheaper starting point. If you intended on reinforcing the inflatable shelter, it would be something you would be doing any way, without the large investment up front.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

daskakik
I see your point now sorry i think I'm just tired..Yes, stirling idea would be cheaper starting point i will agree with that if i were do do this i couldn't go out and buy one of there set ups id have to go the cheapest way possible but make it stable thanks for posting..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
I wonder if you can dig a hole and set up one of these and bury it with 3 feet of soil on top.
Could be handy for an underground shelter.

Without a centre support beam in place, it may not withstand the weight of the soil, with added rainfall or snow buildup. It could sink or cave in, depending on the soil it was laid in. It would shift over time. Soil is a lot colder underground and concrete cracks in cold temps. Wouldnt be good in an earthquake. You would need light, ventilation and oxygen. How would you get out?
Maybe they manufacture in ground concrete bunkers specifically for underground. This design wouldn't work.

It must be quite expensive.
It looks to be uncomfortable in certain temps. Concrete is very cold in the winter and it would be an oven in the summer. It shows a window which is nice but not at all practical for ultimate protection. It kinda of looks to have more dangers than providing safety to me. It' s a potential tomb. A trap.

Its not a good place to hide in. Soldiers are outside and can block your escape. Its like a big Hello we're all in here, in this big thing you see on our property, the one you had a good aerial shot of as you flew over or google earthed.

It can't be bomb proof if it says it can be taken down by traditional methods of demolitions on structures. They can bust in, or penetrate a hole and gas you, take you out or keep you there.

Are they hurricane proof? That might be good if the whole neighbourhood chipped in on one to share when a big storm is looming. Except there would be no radio reception inside concrete walls.

I just wouldn't put much faith in this.
The concrete suppliers are most likely the Elite LaFarge.
edit on 9-3-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The makers may have a patent on the materials....
But they sure as hell dont own the principal of a blow up inner that you can coat with the materials of your choice....
For underground or tougher structures i think as long as the ORIGONAL casting will bear the weight of the next layers....
the structure will gain strength as you apply them.....then bury afterwards.....
Sort of like fberglassing but with some concrete mix or even perhaps mortar....
The idea would be to apply a next layer without overloading the first ones....
I was thinking expanded metal is fairly common and could be used for rebar, maybe even any steel screening type material
There are poly type meshes that have industrial uses and the score would be to get a quantity of used material no longer suitable for the pulp production line or other factory use.
The idea of the easy initial form is the kicker...
The SKY IS THE LIMIT......

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join