Concrete Canvas Shelters

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I saw this 2 days ago.

A fantastic idea. All you need is water, a car to unroll the tent straight or several strong men or beast of burden and a leaf blower to inflate the structure.

An almost instant building that can be used for anything.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I did come across this Popular Mechanics article on concrete canvas by the yard, which showed that you could enclose a shelter using it at low prices, but that is not this prepackaged system.
edit on 8-3-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This is the price i came up with A bag weighing 230 kilograms (approximately 500 pounds) inflates into a shelter with 16 square meters (172 square feet) of floor space. Cost is estimated at £1,100 ($2,100)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

grey580

I thought this was a fantastic idea also and can be used for so many different things..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Reply to post by sugarcookie1

This is excellent for semi permanent settlement / shelter for emergencies, it has strong structure and all around weather protection. some members posted about zombie scenario, it is has to on wheels like this customizable off road camper van. Link - boulderoffroadvans.com...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Yes that is different than the ones in the video in the OP. The smaller one, 25m2 (270sq. ft.) weighs 1900 kg (4180 lbs).

Concrete Canvas specs

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This seems a lot like the material that they've been using for making "plaster" casts for when people have a broken bone. I recall seeing this stuff being used as far back as the 1980s.

It's nice to see this similar application for larger things.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jcarpenter

I don't need plans for something like that. I worked with a mason on cement and block on many jobs over the years. I can only lay twenty blocks an hour overall on a job but I could put all the blocks in myself in a week. The top slab needs to be temporarily supported and needs to be rerodded every foot by foot to be strong. Using fibered six bag concrete is a must. Could easily build a little camp or sauna/woodshed on top the slab with a hidden doorway too. It could even be hidden under a garage.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Trackhunter

Trackhunter
that was a interisting read and also a good idea but i think id rather have the cement shelter..peace,sugarcookie1
edit on 8-3-2013 by sugarcookie1 because: duh

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by davidchin

davidchin
Yes your right its sure does look similar to material used for casts but with casts they tell you not to get them wet so there must be a bit of a difference in the material used peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

That sounds ok I wouldnt mind buying one. Where did you get the quote from? Sorry looked at your link. Thanks
edit on 8-3-2013 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminnaughty

illuminnaughty

No problem..thanks for posting ...peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I am getting pricing for the rolls of material from them. I need at least 650 linear feet of the 1.1m wide material and I think the 5mm will work. I told them my application so we will see what they say as far as cost. If it is not too outrageously priced I will get some for this application I have in mind. I will let everyone know how much they quote me for the material.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by endats01

endats01
Please do I'm interested in the cost myself when you find out please let us know the cost..thanks for posting..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
reply to post by rickymouse

rickymouse
The cost is around $2100, you could literally build a underground complex for $8000.. But there are many other fields where this technology could successfully be deployed. peace,sugarcookie1

That is cheap and easy to build. I bet shipping on that would be four hundred bucks though and a forklift would be needed to unload it off the truck. If you used it for a camp it would be great and pile sand and topsoil on top. Plant grass and it's ready to go. A falling tree in a storm would definitely damage it though, even if buried. No big trees can be close by. 2100 bucks over ten years isn't that expensive and it's a temporary structure so only zone compliance would be required in most places.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I found a website that looks to be out of Canada that has a 270 sqf shelter listed as $28,804+shipping.

store.nunainnovations.com

Just a tad bit pricey for me!

Love the concept though. My dad worked in concrete from almost 50 years, he would be fascinated by this.
edit on 8-3-2013 by OneisOne because: typo

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

OneisOne
well that price is defiantly out of my league but still a great idea i imagine the shipping would be a fortune also..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

There is a shipping calculator at the check out.

store.nunainnovations.com...

It is in the affordable range for my application. I am just going to use it to line and cover an inflatable pool to make it a durable tank for my aquaponics operation.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think I see why the calculations don't seem to match up. The link posted by OneisOne has rolls of concrete canvas measured in m2 but this is not the same as the floor area of the shelters also given in m2.

The amount of cloth needed to build just the half pipe of a 4m x 4m shelter would be around 80m2. The 5.2mm canvas is priced at $656.70 for 10m2 so that would come out to $5379.20 for 80m2. Using the 8mm canvas, priced at $509.50 for 5m2 it would be $8152.00.

The prepackaged shelter probably includes the ends with doors and frame plus you don't have to worry about joining the canvas strips and keeping everything airtight enough to just blow the thing up. This is probably the reason for the huge price leap.

edit on 8-3-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

That is truly awesome! Thanks for sharing that. The fact that it can be completely buried certainly gives it yet another advantage. So many possibilities for a structure like that. Very cool!!

Wow! $28k for the smallest unit
store.nunainnovations.com...
edit on 8-3-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join