It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British humour

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I had to log in for this

Good stuff, I have aquried the taste for this kind of stuff mainly from the British Top Gear show. Honestly cant stand the American version other than i`m more familar with the cars and Adam is funny. Do you have a link for more of this? Or could you post some more?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandStrategy
And there's no such thing as a chav. That's just a derogatory term that tits use to describe poor people. Britain having poor people is no secret.

Well, that got a laugh out of me. Tell me then, what type of stereotype is Vicky Pollard from Little Britain supposed to represent?

You've got to be absolutely daft to think and say that "Chavs don't exist". That would be like me saying that Cholos or Bro's don't exist here in L.A.

Come off it.

That said, I quite enjoy british humour. Fawlty Towers and Death at a Funeral and all that. My favorite comedian of all time has to be Dylan Morran, he's absolutely brilliant.
edit on 3/8/2013 by ExquisitExamplE because: Added some British humor I enjoy.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
British humour varies tremendously depending on the part of the country but tasteless humour is quite common such as the following.

No racism is intended - or bigotry.

Police recently detained four asien youth's for dangerous driving near ulswater reservoir, they suspect it may be Ram-A-Dam.

A guy is lying in bed with his mail order thai bride and she is stroking his **** up and down slowly and tenderly, he turn's to her and say's "You really love it don't you",.
His bride nod's the affirmative and say's "I just miss mine so much".

I could come out with more but they are very coarse and guaranteed to offend some poor soul.
edit on 8-3-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

though I am English I still rate the American movie's such as cheech and chongue's up in smoke or Richard pryor and gene wylder in see no evil hear no evil as the far funnier than any English comedy movie but when it come's to television series' Only fool's and horses and Allo Allo rule the roost.
edit on 8-3-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The dry British wit is legendary. Kim Philby, the KGB spy inside Britain's SIS, cited a good example in a "minute" issued by a Foreign Office bureaucrat regarding a developing situation. Approximately:

"This a matter of the utmost importance and therefore should be handled at the lowest level possible."

He also quotes a female colleague in SIS:

"If you must work for a racket, you might as well work for an old established racket."

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Lol died laughing at the second one. When the ol lady asked what I was laughing at and I showed her, lets just say she didn't think it was so funny. Lol nice post.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Great thread.....It made me smile!

Probably have to post some links later.

PS - Regrettably Chavs are all to real, but they tend not to venture into my part of the world too much.....I think of it as animal cunning, their survival instinct at play.

Q - What's black & tan and looks good on a Chav?

A - A Rottweiler!

edit on 8-3-2013 by squarehead666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by squarehead666

Ready for some American humor? I just found this, it's a old song that I was looking for. It blew my mind when I saw what this person did with it. LMAO

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I spent a good minute laughing at the title. I assumed it was all about how the brits spell words with a 'u.' I figured a good mocking was in order.

Imagine my surprise when the thread was not about that.

Looks like you guys have a decent sense of humor.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
TBH I don't really see much difference between the US & UK sense of humour.....When I was in the US my friends there watched loads of British stuff and my mates over here in the UK generally consider folk like George Carlin & Bill Hicks to be virtual demi-gods.

It's links like these that are the stuff of the 'special relationship' and not the perpetual bull# flowing from the Whitehouse or Downing St. (IMHO).
edit on 8-3-2013 by squarehead666 because: content

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
How about some Scottish humour:

edit on 8-3-2013 by squarehead666 because: funnier still

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
reply to post by squarehead666

Ready for some American humor? I just found this, it's a old song that I was looking for. It blew my mind when I saw what this person did with it. LMAO

Brilliant thanks for posting it

Cody

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by squarehead666
How about some Scottish humour:

I love Frankie Boyle
But he's so misunderstood

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Love the humor.. except it loses the impact without the accent. which is the main reason its funny

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by squarehead666
How about some Scottish humour

That would just be British humour, Scotland is part of Britain.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
British humour varies from toilet joke to dry wit and sarcasm, its that vast area that makes us funny all round, personally I love dry wit and sarcasm which many Americans fail to understand but when I watch Big Bang I see its starting to pay off on the US people as Big Bang is full of it and currently my favourite US show.

A lot of Americans think brit humour is purely Bernard Manning type racial stuff and rudeness about women and yes there's a section of the UK comedy scene that loves that and people like Roy Chubby Brown but its not what we are best known for, The Pythons took UK humour to the US and it flourished, some found it odd but it clicked with many as we did with Americans like Bill Hicks who was a genius in my book.

What does make me laugh is Americans with racial British jokes, normally they are all up in arms about them but yet you visit sites like Liveleak (a British site but with many Americans on there) and the racial stuff is 99% from the Americans, their love of young black Americans is zero and boy do they make sure people know it.

So you see, its not really that different, the Americans are a little more abrasive I find but if it makes you laugh then it all counts. I love Frankie Boyle stuff, yes its often poor taste but there's again genius in his stuff and yes its blue a lot of the time but Blue can work depending on the quality of the comedian and the writing, for me I always return to dry wit and sarcasm, its something we Brits do brilliantly and most of all its clever humour, it needs to be thought about in some cases which is great, making the mind work is good for you.

So yes I do find that Americans find Brit stuff a little puzzling, the Casual sniper clip with Dom Jolly before he because infamous is a fine display of observational wit but I bet most Americans are saying wtf?

Don't worry, we love your humour as well as ours, I don't care who's doing the joke, be it stuff from Richard Pryor, Bill hicks, Jimmy Carr or The Two Ronnies, it ALL makes me laugh and the world laughing in a very good thing, beats killing each other.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
heres some australian humour

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing these! (& to BlackDog- that was the only one I didn't get.) I LOVE British humor! (Probably some of my favorite happens during Questions for the Prime Minister)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I'm sooo glad its Saturday, as I would not get much work done, never had such a good laugh over a spilt cup of coffee, dense or not.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Yet no one has posted ....

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
And the immigrants humour is priceless

Loving the input in this thread
Thanks guys

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join