NORAD evacuated after "suspicious packages" discovered inside

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
With North Korea rattling its sabre at us, the timing of this couldn't be worse. They don't specify why they deemed the packages to be suspicious and don't know how they even got into the building at this point.

NORAD evacuated for 4.5 hours after packages arouse suspicions

NORAD headquarters in Colorado were evacuated for about 4 1/2 hours Thursday after employees found five suspicious packages, but the command's control room team was working at a backup location about eight miles away at the time and no essential missions were disrupted, officials said.

Employees became suspicious because something about the packages looked "out of place," said Jeff Bohn, a spokesman at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, where the North American Aerospace Command is based.

Bohn declined to say what the packages looked like or what appeared to be amiss.

Tests performed on the packages ruled out chemical, biological and radiological agents, Bohn said. The packages were then removed and were undergoing other tests, he said.

Bohn said he did not know how the packages arrived or whether they had been screened before they were delivered. He said that would be part of the investigation.

Christian Science Monitor

It just goes to show what a wonderful job homeland security does of keeping us all safe when stuff like this can pop up right in the heart of NORAD
(that was sarcasm for anyone who can't figure it out).

It does seem to be suspiciously timed with all that's going on in the world today. They say that operations were not disrupted and were able to continue at the Cheyenne Mountain site which is now the secondary, back-up NORAD location.

edit on 3/8/13 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

With North Korea rattling its sabre at us, the timing of this couldn't be worse. They don't specify why they deemed the packages to be suspicious and don't know how they even got into the building at this point.

NORAD evacuated for 4.5 hours after packages arouse suspicions

NORAD headquarters in Colorado were evacuated for about 4 1/2 hours Thursday after employees found five suspicious packages, but the command's control room team was working at a backup location about eight miles away at the time and no essential missions were disrupted, officials said.

Employees became suspicious because something about the packages looked "out of place," said Jeff Bohn, a spokesman at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, where the North American Aerospace Command is based.

Bohn declined to say what the packages looked like or what appeared to be amiss.

Tests performed on the packages ruled out chemical, biological and radiological agents, Bohn said. The packages were then removed and were undergoing other tests, he said.

Bohn said he did not know how the packages arrived or whether they had been screened before they were delivered. He said that would be part of the investigation.

Christian Science Monitor

It just goes to show what a wonderful job homeland security does of keeping us all safe when stuff like this can pop up right in the heart of NORAD
(that was sarcasm for anyone who can't figure it out).

It does seem to be suspiciously timed with all that's going on in the world today. They say that operations were not disrupted and were able to continue at the Cheyenne Mountain site which is now the secondary, back-up NORAD location.

edit on 3/8/13 by FortAnthem because:

Before jumping to conclusions lets not forget it could be a pen test, someone moved something incorrectly, something totally mundane. I need a bit more info before I'm willing to think this was anything close to something nefarious.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

What I am wondering is if all these packages were in the same place or scattered around, say....key offices/buildings. Location, location, location.

If they were scattered then there is definitely something amiss.

As you say, the USG does have teams to test security. They do it often. And all to often do it well. But if you don't know you have a problem, you can't fix it can ya?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

I agree with you here, although having said that it is probably too early to jump to any conclusions. However, as they have already ruled out radiological, chemical or biological agents then i am leaning towards a misplaced box of marker pens (or something similar).

S & F for FortAnthem for bringing this to my attention.
edit on 8-3-2013 by Flavian because: of not or

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Amazing. A couple puke bags are all it takes to knock out NORAD.

If the Russians had known that back in the 80ies !

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

Before jumping to conclusions lets not forget it could be a pen test, someone moved something incorrectly, something totally mundane. I need a bit more info before I'm willing to think this was anything close to something nefarious.

Even if it is something innocuous, it shows how easily an installation like this can be taken down for a few hours. The way that everyone panics over every little thing nowadays makes the country more vulnerable IMO.

Imagine if they weren't operating out Cheyenne during reconstruction and something caused them to evacuate the building like this when someone really did decide to launch an attack.

I'm sure in the end, it will turn out that somebody just ordered the wrong colored pens or something and that we'll never hear any followup on this story because of "national security reasons"

Either that, or they'll try to blame the incident on the Sequester cuts.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I wouldn't worry about this, none essential personal will do the routine of evacuating, but essential personal will stay.
Their to paranoid to just walk out of a high class secured facility.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I think the reason for the modern fear you speak of is, quite simply, years of complete safety (goes for Europe too, not just the USA). Seriously, think back to the days of World War 2 and before. If a suspicious package was found, someone would remove it outside so everyone else could get on with things. These days though, because everything has been so safe for so long, we simply go into meltdown.

I bet if this was somewhere in Africa (for example) the cleaner would have picked it up and chucked it out of the nearest window! Whereas over in the West we call the HAZMAT guys..........

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Last year a relative of mine was sent home from Formosa Plastics because a "box" was found and no one knows who put it there. They all assumed "bomb!" and freaked. Turns out it was an empty crate someone threw next to an outhouse and neglected to "document". Just goes to show how well the -fear of terrorism- programming is working in the real world!

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Maybe the W56 are teleporting these into NORAD as a warning...
They teleported whole truckloads of stuff in Italy.....
Could be the Aliens are finally taking a hand in affairs of earth, as the war hysteria seems to be escalating again and the aliens ahve told us they wont permit nuclear war.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Well it's obvious what's going on here.

Snaaaake!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

It just goes to show what a wonderful job homeland security does of keeping us all safe when stuff like this can pop up right in the heart of NORAD (that was sarcasm for anyone who can't figure it out).

Yup, they are to busy preparing for domestic revolts and increasing security/equipment to control the American population.

Protecting the nation from foreign threats is beyond their job description these days

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
dble post
edit on 8-3-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Exactly...would be kind of pointless to go through what is needed to smuggle something in, for it NOT to be dangerous...so someone likely just didn't follow procedure and goofed.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The question might be why did those in power need the place empty for 4.5 hours. Up to some thing via that diversion.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

After browsing ATS for 10 years, I'm close to the conclusion that anything that persists to the United States in the News gets a critical reaction from everyone. Doesn't matter what it is.

Can people actually say a good job for once? For having proper protocol in place and having everything played out with little or no issues?

but the command's control room team was working at a backup location about eight miles away at the time and no essential missions were disrupted, officials said.

Our sky's were not in any danger. They found a suspicious packages and dealt with it promptly without no hitches to our mission control.

These are possibly the three scenarios that could happen.

1. It was a bomb and they disposed of it - Everyone on here would say on how it was a false flag to scare people into thinking we are not safe just so we lose our rights and the Zionists are behind it. Homeland security sucks, blah blah blah blah blahhhh.

2. It was a bomb that went off - Same as above.

3. It was a harmless box - Oh my god, homeland security sucks how can they let this box there. This misplaced box is the biggest screw up in history! Good job homeland security you make us feel safe!

Base point, you can complain all you want. I could care less and people doing there job which they did correctly here and doing things right could care less about what you think. I give a thumbs up to NORAD for actaully doing there job instead of complaining.

Have a nice day.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Laxpla

Yeah, you're probably right, maybe we shouldn't be mocking this so hard. It is possible that they did end up stopping a real attack on NORAD (although, if they did, I'm sure we'll never hear of this story again).

This reminds me of the thread I posted about the CIA being hot on Bin Ladin's trail. We mocked that story furiously only to get the news a few months later that they had murdered him in his compound.

We never saw the body and some people still think to this day that he'd died years before (myself included) but, that story was the set up to get us ready to accept that we'd finally got him.

Who knows? This story may be the set up for something bigger coming up a few months down the line and, for that, should be paid attention to.

new topics

join