It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is genius in all of us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
There are two main opinions on this matter : Genetics and/or Hard Work

Most self-help books are promoting the hard work side. They give different tips and tools, basically promoting, that anybody can be genius if they do this or that, especially famous is the 10000-hour-rule. Of course there is some truth in it despite the main goal of these books is sales, which makes money. Although they recieve lots of criticism due to promoting these views and get labelled as scam.

I personally believe a bit in both theories. I do not believe genetics only determine a persons future. Of-course people have their strengths and weaknesses, but overally I think that anybody can become highly skilled at anything as long as they have at least average talent in it. And everybody is at least average at something, they just need to find the right area for them

What do you think?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Interesting question.

I've heard some say that we are all equipped with the same brain format, and therefore through hard work, we are all capable of achieving the same.

Having said that, it is evident some of us are thicker than others aha.

Take me for example, my mother is as thick as two short planks, my father on the other hand was quite bright and could have achieved much more if he but his mind to it.

Me... I'm average, but I DO KNOW I hold the capacity to constantly improve, and I will constantly improve.

My younger brother on the other hand struggles with basic English and Maths.

One can only assume, he wasn't as equipped as me, therefore suggesting some genetics do play a part.

I'm with you OP, bit o both

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Think about when you learnt to drive. How you came to find it automatic one day. You didn't really consciously learn every little thing that you do automatically, you picked it up as you went like getting the hang of the clutch. Doing the same thing over and over, you get better.

Learning anything, I think, is like that. We don't follow the exact same rules. We adapt subconsciously to things we do a lot and it becomes automatic. Like learning your tables by rote. You don't really learn the maths, you memorise the info.

Some people don't. And fail miserably because they don't get how others automatically learn it.

Others get it so easily that it is something they excel at.

What causes that, however, could be anything... how you were raised. what influences you had as a child. were you stimulated, or ignored.. simply the genetics passed onto you from a parent.. anything..

I think we're a hue of different abilities from down right derp to 13 year old doing university calculus.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Agreed, genetics can offer various talents but it is very seldom that anybody can become an expert at anything without pushing themselves to excel. However there is a major flaw in the overall consensus towards what is deemed to be worth pursuing when it comes to aspects of talent.

I think many people overlook their natural abilities to chase towards something that is generally popular instead of recognizing their inherit gifts. If only the educational system would recognize each individuals talents and encourage them to partake in subjects that will only better their abilities then we could have allot more happy and satisfied people doing what hey great at.

Of course if you have no interest in a subject you will not retain any information so it is always better to pursue a career in something you are passionate about. For the greater majority of people that don't have an excellent photographic memory the process of selective memory recall plays a major role in the development of skill.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I have found that we all have highly intelligent people living inside us and when we ignore them by forcing ourselves into constrained mentalities that are limiting to the prosperity of the inner true you, we end up becoming very unhappy and angry. This frustration leads us to insist on that negative behavior so reinforcing it the angrier and unhappier you get. A vicious cycle....

Really when you think dumb things, you are forcing yourself to be an idiot. You dont even like it.

BUT there is the other side of the coin.

Forcing yourself into a convoluted and dense lie for the sake of intellectuality is just as bad with similar results.

When you think illogical things, you are forcing yourself to be an ass. You dont even like it.

balance is everything.

edit on 8-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I think genetics has something to do with it. How much? I don't know. I do know some people seem to be born with aptitude toward certain things. I know it angers people sometimes when I say this, but this "natural" aptitude" is why we are NOT all born equal. Think about it like this. Some people express serious aptitude for some things very-very early in their development. That is why you hear the term "natural born"...

Some people are born with an edge I guess. Some have a higher aptitude toward sports, some toward math, some toward music, some toward science or medicine. I say higher aptitude because they can grasp and perform these things with much more ease than others who we are told are "equal"...

We are not born "equal"...what we are all born with is certain aptitudes toward certain things...all of which are needed. So while we are not equal, we ARE all needed...for one skill set or another.
edit on 3/8/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
One thing I personally find interesting about talents (forgot to add in the first post)

I have noticed many people who are not the brigthest in school, often in the lowest marks, tend to be really good at their interests.

For example, many in the lower class, who do not have much skills and are not considered very talented are into sports. When I have talked with them, they know all kinds of tactics, players, statistics, all by heart, yet they fail to learn math and remember history. Same is often with video games. People, even when considered untalented, tend to be good at video games which they love, which also actually involve lots of learning.

For me personally it is kind of a proof for thinking that a lot of the "learning" is not genetics, but interests. When a person is interested in something, they tend to learn it faster than the ones not interested at all. This may also play a lot of role in schools. The people who have no interest in the subjects often tend to fail them and then considered untalented, although the whole time, what played role was not talent, but interest.

I personally also believe that interest and passion might play as big role in development as talent itself.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I don't know. I think hard work accounts for a lot. However, you have to have the genetic pre-disposition. I'm not expecting an individual with mental retardation to ever tap into their genius. Simply because their genetic disposition doesn't make it possible to ever reach or attain that level of intelligence.

So, I'm of sound mind and intelligence. What I noticed is that after my college training through the Army and University, I score higher today at testing, than I did in senior high school level. So as time marches on, and so long as your exercising your brain muscle, I'd say yes... hard work is key to gaining intelligence and striving to uncover one's own genius.

But then you have someone like my daughter who is in ninth grade and testing out at 4.0 and is still so BORED she is filling up her extra time with sports and bugging me to find her a job at 15. There is no effort for her. She reads it or hears it and remembers it. It's a painless process for her. So once again, I don't know. Combination of good genetics coupled with the desire to learn is likely closer to the actual answer.

Peace,
Cirque

top topics

join