It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police brutality as Sydney Mardi Gras

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

The video speaks for itself. What is particularly disturbing is that the police believe they are above the law, claiming that you cannot film them, that filming is not allowed, and that when they give you an order, even though it is not mandated by law, you must follow it like they are some kind of authoritarian dictator that has your life in their hands.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Starred and Flagged with love from Namibia!

Solidarity is the only way forward!

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Damn scumbags. When does it become ok for us aussies to defend ourselves against this bull# ?

If i was there , id have been swinging on those cops, this is disgusting . Poor dude

Honestly, when does it become OK for us to throw punches back ? This needs to stop.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

It appears to be heavy handed, yet something occurred just prior to the incident... now if this dude attempted to spit, bite or kick the officer - well he got off lightly.

He wasn't cuffed for no reason.

Anyhow, the incident is under investigation and is getting a lot of media attention - if the cop is in the wrong, he should be held accountable for his actions.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wewillnotcomply666

I hope the young man was ok ? and completely understand your feeling of compassion for the young boy and your frustration and anger at the police but violence is not and never is the answer.

The guy with the cell phone? and the people in the crowd did the right things as far as I could tell.

1. Keep calm and record these situations on camera wherever they occur and make a point of getting a close up of any injuries inflicted on the victim and get as many of their personal details as possible on film as you can.

2. Tell the police that you know they are doing wrong and that you will be making a formal complaint.

3. Get the details/badge numbers of the officers involved and follow up on the complaint.

4. Contact the media and/ or post film clip and story on line.

Love and solidarity from the UK.

One last thing.When any one is injured in a situation like that, either by the police or a member of the public, I strongly suggest that one of the witnesses calls an ambulance for the injured party, just in case the police forget or take him into custody before he or she gets the medical treatment they require.
edit on 8-3-2013 by MisterMiyagi because: spelling era

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Just before all of this happened the guy punched the officer and while they were trying to cuff him he was repeadetly kicking them in the head.

Im no fan of the police but this guy was off his head blind drunk and was basically being a hooligan,
Were the police excessive? After he was detained, yes I think they were
Do I feel sorry for him? No I dont

Heres a bit of what the clip in the OP doesnt show

People need to get their facts straight and find out the whole story before jumping to conclusions and calling for the cops blood

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Just before all of this happened the guy punched the officer and while they were trying to cuff him he was repeadetly kicking them in the head.

Im no fan of the police but this guy was off his head blind drunk and was basically being a hooligan,
Were the police excessive? After he was detained, yes I think they were
Do I feel sorry for him? No I dont

Heres a bit of what the clip in the OP doesnt show

People need to get their facts straight and find out the whole story before jumping to conclusions and calling for the cops blood

I dont care what he did before he was handcuffed.

He was obviously already detained and handcuffed and was no threat to anyone anymore yet they still use excessive force. This dude wouldnt have weighed any more than 80kgs . There was no need for the force used AFTER he was already handcuffed

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

This may come as a shock but some cops are human.

If someone had just punched me and then kicked me in the head repeatedly you can bet your a$$ I wouldnt be in anyway gentle regardless of any position I held or responsibilities I was given.

This guy isnt a victim, stop trying to make out like he is just because you hate authority figures

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

This may come as a shock but some cops are human.

If someone had just punched me and then kicked me in the head repeatedly you can bet your a$$ I wouldnt be in anyway gentle regardless of any position I held or responsibilities I was given.

This guy isnt a victim, stop trying to make out like he is just because you hate authority figures

Tell me how this guy kicked a cop in the head STANDING UP after he was ALREADY handcuffed. Thats a mighty kick that id struggle to pull off sober let alone as drunk as this kid was.

He was fighting with cops before he was handcuffed , not after . The 'repeated kicks to the head' are bullspit . Watch the video . The kid is standing up and 'may' have thrown a SHIN kick at someone when the officer slams him face first to the ground. That, my friend , is EXCESSIVE force .

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I agree, the kid was an idiot...

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by wagtail

I agree, the kid was an idiot...

I dont disagree.
I just do not support the use of such force on a kid, yes a kid, that was already handcuffed and detained.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

That, my friend , is EXCESSIVE force

I totally agree

What Im saying was if someone had just a minute or so before been kicking me in the head I would probably look for an excuse to slam their head into the ground as well.

Im going to guess you would feel the same as in an earlier post you were claiming to would be ready to commit violence even if you werent the victim.

Its OK for you to get angry and lash out but its not for police? bit hypocritical dont you think?
Did you see the vid I linked? tell me if you were that cop you wouldnt wanna slam the kid

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

That, my friend , is EXCESSIVE force

I totally agree

What Im saying was if someone had just a minute or so before been kicking me in the head I would probably look for an excuse to slam their head into the ground as well.

Im going to guess you would feel the same as in an earlier post you were claiming to would be ready to commit violence even if you werent the victim.

Its OK for you to get angry and lash out but its not for police? bit hypocritical dont you think?
Did you see the vid I linked? tell me if you were that cop you wouldnt wanna slam the kid

Welll then lets all be grateful you are not a police officer.

Nope, you guessed wrong . If i became a police officer it would be to "protect and serve" not to be a big headed bitch about it and take every change i get to throw my weight around.
This cop thought "oh # everyone just seen this kid make a fool out of me i better fack him up to make me look tough again ."

Think about what you just said . It makes no sense. If the police were not abusive oppressive dicks , then people like me would not feel like we need to be violent in return . We pay these people to protect us , not beat us up.

Yes it is ok for me to get angry and lash out and get angry AFTER i see something like this happen . NO it is not okay for the cop to do this in the first place to make me feel this way

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Yeah sorry op, the guy desrved it. He won't be an idiot anymore which is a good thing as there are way too many idiots in the world.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Think about what you just said . It makes no sense. If the police were not abusive oppressive dicks , then people like me would not feel like we need to be violent in return . We pay these people to protect us , not beat us up.

Think about what you said, in this case if that 18 year old "kid" as you put it wasnt being an abusive aggresive dick then the cop wouldnt have felt the need to slam him into the ground, I would bet money on the likely hood that restraining that guy in the first place was protecting people.

So its OK for you to lash out when you SEE something but not OK for a cop to do so after they have actually been on the receiving end? Cops are people too, tell me if you were protecting and serving and some drunk F***wit punched you then bicycle kicked the crap out of your head you wouldnt take any opportunity to slam him?

I would as would most normal people, under the circumstances he showed remarkable restraint in my opinion

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

My biggest grievance with the police in this instance is their claim that people are not allowed to film what is going on. In accordance with Australian law, as long as you are filming on public property, which this was, and as long as it is clear you are filming (i.e. no hidden cameras) it is entirely legal no matter who you are filming. Whether the police or a politician.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

He is a victim. Police are held to higher standards than civilians. We don't send out tax money to them so they can go out and get revenge when they are assaulted. Plain and simple, end of story.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I'm glad you're not a police officer.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

Cool, so every time you do something stupid is it ok if a police officer comes and slams your head into the ground?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Think about what you said, in this case if that 18 year old "kid" as you put it wasnt being an abusive aggresive dick then the cop wouldnt have felt the need to slam him into the ground, I would bet money on the likely hood that restraining that guy in the first place was protecting people.

So its OK for you to lash out when you SEE something but not OK for a cop to do so after they have actually been on the receiving end? Cops are people too, tell me if you were protecting and serving and some drunk F***wit punched you then bicycle kicked the crap out of your head you wouldnt take any opportunity to slam him?

I would as would most normal people, under the circumstances he showed remarkable restraint in my opinion

Now your spinning the story to suit you .
No one was 'bicycle kicked'
WTF are you talking about .

At the time this kid was slammed he was already handcuffed and already injured and bleeding from the head.

He was no threat to anyone , not the officers , not the public, NO ONE.
The video shows a shadow that 'could be' a shadow of his leg throwing a shin height kick , when he is slammed headfirst . In my opinion he is knocked out for a moment before he starts crying . The officer then puts his foot on his back and holds him down without checking to see if he was seriously injured.

Tell me who is being protected and served here? Do you hear anyone supporting the police attacking this kid? When someone is handcuffed and unbalanced,if they attempt something, all it takes is a pull in the other direction to move the person, not #ing power slam him face first into concrete. Look at the size of him lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join