It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie scientist David Sinclair claims anti-ageing superdrug breakthrough

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Ok I thought this may interest some here,scientist David Sinclair claims to have invented a superdrug that could prevent cancer and Alzheimer`s and also help some to live to 150.

My thoughts on it are,if true and the studies show it does what he claims,I think this will get shelved or eugenics would be enforced,for the reasons we the human race have a population of over 7 billion ( worldometers ) and climbing,if disease`s such as cancer were to be eliminated and people have the opportunity to live to 150 then I can only see a population explosion.I don`t think TPTB would allow that to happen.

IT sounds too good to be true, but a respected Australian scientist believes he has invented a new class of superdrug that could prevent cancer and Alzheimer's disease.

What's more, Professor David Sinclair says his drugs have the potential to help some people enjoy a healthy life until the age of 150. However, this needs further research.

Darn it,red wine drinkers would also need to come up with another excuse...

"My research has been criticised because it sounds too good to be true. This paper shows it is true," he says in a telephone interview from Harvard Medical School, where he is based.

Prof Sinclair's drugs target the enzyme SIRT1, which is switched on naturally by calorie restriction and exercise, but it can also be enhanced through activators such as resveratrol in red wine.

He and his colleagues have developed 4000 synthetic activators. Each one is 100 times more potent than a glass of red wine and the best three are the ones in human trials.

"Our drugs can mimic the benefits of a healthy diet and exercise, but there is no impact on weight," says Prof Sinclair, who suggests the first medicine to be marketed could be for diabetes in about five years.

But its a fantastic win for the overweight people....

"We can look at 10,000 people and see if they are healthier and living longer than the general population."

In animal tests, overweight mice given synthetic resveratrol were able to run twice as far as slim mice and they lived 15 per cent longer.
www.perthnow.com.au...

Still though I `m having a hard time imagining these overweight people winning the olympic marathon,but the ethiopian`s and Kenyans would be fumin if true....

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Great find OP.

While I can understand sceptics claiming this sounds a little too good to be true, if these tests are verifiable then this could be one of the greatest medical breakthroughs of all time.

S&F to you for posting such a positive thread.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by gps777

Um, where's the link to the sources you're ex-texting?

I see the link to the population-meter, but, where's your source(s) for the rest?
Thanks.

EDIT: oops ... I see it now. It was imbedded inside the EX-Text
SOURCE

edit on 8-3-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Just thought I`d also post up what wiki has to say about David Sinclair, his career and research...

David A. Sinclair is a biologist best known for his research on the biology of lifespan extension and driving research towards treating diseases of aging.

Sinclair is Professor of Pathology and Co-Director of the Paul F. Glenn Laboratories for the Biological Mechanisms of Aging at Harvard Medical School. Sinclair obtained a Bachelors of Science (Honors Class I) at the University of New South Wales, Sydney, and received the Australian Commonwealth Prize. In 1995, he received a Ph.D. in Molecular Genetics then worked as a postdoctoral researcher at MIT with Leonard Guarente before being recruited in 1999 to Harvard Medical School.

en.wikipedia.org...(biologist)

edit on 8-3-2013 by gps777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by gps777

Hopefully he'll leak some more specific info to some of his colleagues. But really, this will be more for the elite. I can see it now, $500,000 a year. Curious if it will be something that must be taken ongoing or a once a month/year dosage.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Even if it's a ridiculous cost initially, more of these class of drugs will compete and the price will end up dropping into the hands of many more. I just hit 30 and would like to start taking something for life extension before 40.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom
Even if it's a ridiculous cost initially, more of these class of drugs will compete and the price will end up dropping into the hands of many more. I just hit 30 and would like to start taking something for life extension before 40.

Hopefully you're treating yourself to daily large doses of Vitamin C, as talked about on many threads here. Start doing that at age 30 (or younger) and you're in for a nice ride.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I'm giggling too much to get past the title at the site...
superbug breakthrough?

(Wait, that is a typo right? lol)

Thanks for sharing the info!

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by misfitoy

Well spotted,I was wondering if someone would notice the typo in the title of the article.It had me baffled for a while and was in two minds as to put it in the title of this thread.But I thought it best to change it to what its supposed to say.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I saw this on the news the other day and it looks very promising. I was hoping it would be released within a year or two rather than 5-10 years

I imagine it will be a low-cost drug most likely a tablet to be taken daily. I say this because its a synthetic compound which can be easily reproduced in labs. Considering its found naturally in wine and is more like a vitamin supplement I wouldn't imagine it costing more than your average multi-vitamin.

With all these recent advances in technology I'm looking forward to trying this out so I can stay around longer to see what other wonderful inventions are made

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Here is David Sinclair back in 2011 giving a lecture on the subject,he`s come a long way in a couple of years in his research.

This is a snippet..

In full..(which I`m going to watch when I`ve got the time)

new topics

top topics

join