It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 years later: before and after

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
It's impressive how Japanese people worked so hard during these two years to allow life coming back...

Check out these impressive comparison photos taken from the same places, just after the EQ and two years later....

In a few days, Japan will mark the 2nd anniversary of the devastating Tohoku earthquake and resulting tsunami. The disaster killed nearly 19,000 across Japan, leveling entire coastal villages. Now, nearly all the rubble has been removed, or stacked neatly, but reconstruction on higher ground is lagging, as government red tape has slowed recovery efforts. Locals living in temporary housing are frustrated, and still haunted by the horrific event, some displaying signs of post-traumatic stress disorder. Collected below are a series of before-and-after interactive images. Click on each one to see the image fade from before (2011) to after (2013)

The tsunami-devastated Kesennuma in Miyagi prefecture, is pictured in this side-by-side comparison photo taken March 12, 2011 (left) and March 4, 2013 (right), ahead of the two-year anniversary of the March 11 earthquake and tsunami that damaged so much of northeastern Japan. (Reuters/Kyodo)

Rusted vehicles and tsunami debris in Ishinomaki, Miyagi prefecture, on March 19, 2011, and March 1, 2013

See the whole photo set at theatlantic.com
edit on 8-3-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Thanks a lot for this, I've been wondering a lot lately what it's like now over there...

They've done a great job of cleaning up but these pics really depress me

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

I'm glad there's not much reconstruction in the low-lying areas, though I'm not sure how long that will hold. One hillside had a centuries old stone marker saying to not build any houses below that point because they would be destroyed by tsunamis...and of course there was much construction below that point when the tsunami happened and the stone marker was right.

Let's hope they learned something about building in tsunami-prone areas.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I have found some more (I don't know how to show them in the post):

img.abovetopsecret.com...

/HamP
edit on 11-3-2013 by HamP1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
More here.

LINK

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Great photos, I agree with posster..

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
It’s really nice to see a topic about Japan in The Nuclear Forum… I mean the “Japan Forum”.

Arbitrageur really interesting point about how someone sacrificed some wealth to place a stone marker telling people never to build in certain places, whilst others have scarified everything by ignoring it. I wonder how many centuries people will resist? I wonder if they’re already being told it’s safe to build? Shameful if true, and another reason to be a person as opposed to Sheeple.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Wow - that is impressive.

Now that they've cleaned up Japan, can they please come and clean up the coast of British Columbia, where most of the debris wound up?

top topics

join