It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*DELTE/MERGE* BBC: North Korea ends peace pacts with South

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
This is a pretty breaking article from the BBC, and it would seem the new "Dear Leader" is doing more than just pitching a fit. He's even removing the hotline between the North and South.

The North Korean announcement, carried on the KCNA state news agency, said the North was cancelling all non-aggression pacts with the South and closing the main Panmunjom border crossing inside the Demilitarized Zone.

It also said it was notifying the South that it was "immediately" cutting off the North-South hotline.

The hotline, installed in 1971, is intended as a means of direct communication at a time of high tension, but is also used to co-ordinate the passage of people and goods through the heavily fortified Demilitarized Zone.

BBC News

Any missile launch would by North Korea would be instantly spotted by observation satellites, radars and monitoring vessels. The misslie would have multiple opportunities to be shot down from various land and sea based platforms.

North Korea could, however, smuggle a dirty bomb or an actual device through one of the many tunnels it has between the border.

In either case, it would be a losing proposition for North Korea. According the the BBC article, South Korea feels:

Seoul's defence ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok said that if the North were to carry out a nuclear attack on South Korea it would become "extinct from the Earth by the will of mankind".

North Korean TV has been showing images of Kim Jong-un visiting troops at undisclosed locations
He also warned that in response to any provocation from the North, Seoul would "immediately" turn the US-South Korean military drills currently being conducted "into a punishment mode to respond to it as planned".

Whichever way it goes, it would seem we do indeed live in interesting times.

North Korean leader Kim isn't just talking either:

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is also reported to have visited front-line military units that were involved in the shelling of a South Korean island in 2010.

KCNA said he had urged the soldiers there to keep themselves ready to "annihilate the enemy" at any time, and reconfirmed so-called "enemy targets" on five islands in the West Sea.

So it would seem more likely that North Korea might decide to use artillery strikes on these five islands. They got away with it in 2010 ...
edit on 8-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
DO we have trouble using "search"?... this is probably only the 5th thread about this.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
DO we have trouble using "search"?... this is probably only the 5th thread about this.

Links or it never happened.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
NVM I misread the article.. Forgive me.
edit on 8-3-2013 by Clisen33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I searched, "North Korea Ends Peace Pact" And the top result is about russian volcano's. The next is a 8 year old thread...

You search nazi's posts should be considered spam.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

I did multiple searches, even just using "North Korea" so as to cast my net wide.

Sorry man, there's many angles to this North Korea issue -- and we don't have to have just one thread about it. I'd like discussion on this latest development, as it's fairly breaking.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mikeyy

I searched, "North Korea Ends Peace Pact" And the top result is about russian volcano's. The next is a 8 year old thread...

You search nazi's posts should be considered spam.

Thats because you're incapable of reasonable thinking - every last north korea topic talked about it. Theres even the link to the reuters news.

But hey... thats ok, (btw the top result is about a cease-fire, not about russian volcanoes... and since I'm being a search nazi, plural of volcano is volcanoes that way I can be a grammar nazi also)

EDIT: oh btw you dont even need to use search... here, open ATS - "new topics" - "new-hot: active new topics" www.abovetopsecret.com...

Or... just open ATS. hottest topic right now - page 14.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 8-3-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
He's right, UberL33t has a topic 7 hours ago.

If I can, I'll change the title so this can either be merged or deleted.

Hey, I can admit it when I'm wrong

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
He's right, UberL33t has a topic 7 hours ago.

If I can, I'll change the title so this can either be merged or deleted.

Hey, I can admit it when I'm wrong

Nvm that... actually its because the issue is rather important and is divided between a lot of threads all of them with useful information about the situation and its kinda hard to keep track of it all...

If we could condensate all the separate threads into a single thread about the NK situation would be ideal... I keep visiting lots of threads one after another just to keep myself informed

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikeyy

I agree, the ATS search function is woeful.

However, the recent posts page is chock fulla the same article!

edit on 8-3-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Please add your thoughts to the existing thread here.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

top topics

join