It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea voids non-aggression pacts with South and severs hotline with Seoul

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wdkirk

Easy to say sitting safely at home sipping tea
,meanwhile hundreds of thousands of innocents in the region would lose there lives from direct fire,fallout,starvation,sickness and disease
kinda puts it in a different perspective doesn't it.

edit on 7-3-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Just saw the post about NK ICBMs on standby...my post of 72 hours before we know if its a bluff or not may be a little long at the rate it's going... I hope things calm down soon

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I don't think they can be stopped from crossing the border if the decide to, the military in the North is just that much stronger than the south...but that tide would turn rapidly
[url=http://csmonitor.com/World/Latest-News-Wires/2012/0104/North-Korea-military-has-an-edge-over-South-but-wouldn-t-win-a-war-study-finds]Source[/url ]
Even the south thinks that way

edit on 7-3-2013 by okiecowboy because: Link malfunction

I tend to agree and if I've understood historic U.S. Policy, the forces in place are a deterrent at best and hoped for ...but only a speed bump force to slow the North down some and fully engage the United States otherwise. The amount it would take to match his forces on a deterrent basis wouldn't be viable and his artillery? Well... 11,000 rounds, per volley into Seoul. Umm... How many volleys can one gun fire, how fast? Or...are we better off not knowing. Seoul isn't that big.

@Thread

I tend to agree with many in saying he hasn't proven any behavior to show he'd invade. However, Baby Bush hadn't looked like a war monger when he was running for Office either. He looked like a naive idiot, but not what he turned out as, IMO. He sure did finish the war his father started though and so many years later, too. (It's the only reason I mention the Bush's... the Father-Son continuation of the Iraq war and settling scores against Daddy's record)

Let's hope little Kim doesn't feel any odd needs to follow the family tradition like the first Korean War. Just a couple weeks before that broke out by massive invasion from the North, the CIA was handing intelligence briefings to the President saying there were no intentions of invasion and the North wouldn't do any such thing. (and some people think of them as all knowing..lol)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Seoul isn`t that big

Actually Seoul has the second biggest metropolitan area in the world.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I think I might found something interesting in a video which shows the rally which was held yesterday in Pyongyang:

small version:

big version:

Source

who are those 2 Generals and from which country do they come from? They attended the rally yesterday.
edit on 8-3-2013 by Zerschmetterling because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Zerschmetterling

That`s an interesting image if true. I have no idea from where are those uniforms, maybe the left is Russian?

Good to remember that some time ago there was always an american defector in these rallies, I think he was close to Kim Jongil

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Any missile launch by North Korea would be instantly spotted by observation satellites, radars and monitoring vessels. The North Korean missile would have multiple opportunities to be shot down from various land and sea based platforms.

North Korea could, however, smuggle a dirty bomb or an actual device through one of the many tunnels it has between the border. Some of these tunnels have been discovered and destroyed in the past, so we know they have and do exist.

China will do what is in China's best interests; maintaing stability. I do think they are tired of North Korea, and are also done using them as an antagonist to the West.

South Korea can't economically and socially absorb the underdeveloped North Korea. This isn't exactly East and West Germany we're talking about.

North Korean soldiers are starving and their own people are incarcerated in salt mines. These people might be brainwashed, but probably willing to change their minds for a hot meal and a better life.

I predict that this is nothing more sabre rattling, and it will be interesting to see how far North Korea pushes their luck. I don't think we need to worry...yet.
edit on 8-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

The skinny guy on the right with the moustache looks Iranian?

The larger guy on the left looks Russian?

Can someone identify the colors or possibly the hats of these two men? Can anyone confirm these still images were from an actual rally yesterday?

I can see Iran, but Russia would be an interesting twist.

ETA: Apparently you can take a train from Russia to North Korea. From what I've read, Russia and North Korea share a 17km border.
edit on 8-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Looking carefully to the video, there are a lot of foreigners(civilians included) in that tribune.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
this is an iranian uniform:

and yep, quite some civilians, looks like Africans and some other people from the Middle East
edit on 8-3-2013 by Zerschmetterling because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by hououinkyouma

Seoul isn`t that big

Actually Seoul has the second biggest metropolitan area in the world.

I think you missed my point, actually. When we're talking about the firing of 11,000 artillery rounds per volley, Los Angeles wouldn't be 'that big' anymore. It would seem downright small and cozy when everything around each mind numbing impact is bouncing off the floors and ground. A new round coming every few seconds for who knows how long.

I've read that being subjected to artillery barrage is one of the most mentally traumatic things people can survive in terms of how it leaves some afterward. I wouldn't want to imagine how few may survive an hour of that, let alone more.....but those who did, I think life changing would be a safe description.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

It's hard to tell from your picture, but the grey color matches.

The thick gold banding around the hat also matches. I'd like to know if a comparable Russian military uniform has a greenish color like the guy on the left?

Without better quality photos, we're all pretty much shooting in the dark.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   

We've had over 50 years, and had a very large military presence on that peninsula for quite some time. Do you honestly think we don't know where each one of those artillery pieces is?

I'm fairly sure with satellite flybys we've kept our intel up to date. Granted, 11,000 targets would be quite the challenge to hit in one strike...even for the USA.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Two reasons why I think the North Koreans WILL try something:

1. Kim Jong Il was regarded as almost a godlike figure before his health began failing. His son must carry that legacy honorably, and what better way to gain the confidence of his people than to lead a successful military campaign where his father had not quite succeeded before him? Ring a bell, Bush family?

2. South Korea has become the world leader in cellular communications and advanced computing and/or technological research. Getting a hand in that financial pie is a logical move. When the "enemies" next door have an asset, it makes sense to attempt to seize that asset.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Misdirection, hey all eyes here, meanwhile something sinister is going on else where.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I imagine South Korean and American commanders get regular updates on any change of position to every gun and how many rounds are estimated to be with them. I also bet there are bean counters in the Pentagon who have figured down to the last gun and round, how many will get off what number of shots before being destroyed ...and what likely damage it'll all do. You know how there seems to be someone to record almost every statistic.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
reply to post by wdkirk

Easy to say sitting safely at home sipping tea
,meanwhile hundreds of thousands of innocents in the region would lose there lives from direct fire,fallout,starvation,sickness and disease
kinda puts it in a different perspective doesn't it.

edit on 7-3-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

No.

Thanks for the input though. I figured someone would post something like this in response to what I said.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by vonclod
reply to post by rigel4

china and russia are both on board with the new sanctions..n korea has no real friends at the moment..something is going to happen i just dont know what

THIS

All the political BS aside

South Korea won the PR campaign long ago... You really never want to wage a war against people your citizens adore...

SK artists litter Russian websites, Gangnam style hit no2 on the pop charts in America K-pop has Millions of fans, Chinese and ALL of East Asia consumes Sk products, SK Television shows are extremely popular...

SK calls this "soft power"

They have a lot of it...

The people of China and Japan and America and Russia will NOT be please if Kim Taeyeon and their other idols get nuked... for no god damned reason... everyone needs their #ty cell phones updated, Millions play their mmogs...

South Korea has Much Love among the Chinese fans

A ton of Money to loose via the USA

and NK... is a pile of festering crap no one likes.....

War over them would be a very hard sell indeed.

Sounds silly? It's not... No one likes to watch pretty girls die... the SK media is next right now only to the USA globally regionally it is KING... "Soft Power" Not China, Not Russia not anyone can convince their people to side against SK without tremendous inner turmoil

It would seem even more lunacy to the people of China to back NK against SK than it would in America...

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Wow that is very interesting indeed, they are not DPRK thats for sure, as to who they are maybe Iranian? It would make sense.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join