It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea voids non-aggression pacts with South and severs hotline with Seoul

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Would they really have to "sever" the hotline? Couldn't they just let it ring and not pick up? I think they're being overly dramatic.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

but something certainly has to be done

Yep, traditional fireworks. With nice GPS accuracy. A couple of those thrown into the mix should set the cats among the pigeons?

Personally, I can't wait to watch one of those suckers zero in on whatever defense he has set up.

Time has changed since the 50's you're gonna have to do a lot of digging to avoid one of those suckers.

Loud mouths gone, army will turn to sh*t without leadership. They are all dying for a Macca's or Pizza hut!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

exactly what I thought!!! Brilliant!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well, this is escalating, isn't it? It's not just mere words anymore and that IS a new step from past moves out of him or his father.

I don't know ... I'm still hesitant to take them too seriously, but time will tell .. right now I still envision this as "stop or I'm going to hold my breath until you stop!!!"

The big problem I have with taking this seriously is how vain they are..the new baby Kim, like his father, wants to be a local hero and look bigger than life.. wants to have legends told about him .. he's too young to do something that would end his life so quickly.. he doesn't want to die, I seriously doubt it.. and I doubt he has any delusions that he could actually win such a war unless he's bought into his dad's own propaganda and his own military is stringing him along.. scary thought that he might be deluded enough to think he could win.. but again, I doubt that.. so I think this is still just chest puffing and tantrum throwing.

Sorry I'd missed your post here before...

I tend to take Kim seriously as unstable and unpredictable. The few who are outside North Korea to have personally met him...before he came to the spotlight, handlers and projecting image all the time (like every leader, everywhere) described him as vicious and dangerous.

Look where he grew up and who his Father was. How does a kid like that turn out? I love to think he's 100% sane and would never do a thing so militarily foolish, but look at some of the things to have started over the last decades? Or history in general... Some seemingly bright people have made incredibly ignorant miscalculations or overplayed themselves right into the afterlife. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.... Too much tension in the world right now.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
reply to post by miniatus

but something certainly has to be done

Yep, traditional fireworks. With nice GPS accuracy. A couple of those thrown into the mix should set the cats among the pigeons?

Personally, I can't wait to watch one of those suckers zero in on whatever defense he has set up.

Time has changed since the 50's you're gonna have to do a lot of digging to avoid one of those suckers.

Loud mouths gone, army will turn to sh*t without leadership. They are all dying for a Macca's or Pizza hut!

Probably true... North Korea is so used to running it's propaganda machine to no effect that it wouldn't expect an actual attack, even with just conventional targeted weapons.. I'd be surprised if they were prepared for a few well placed bunker busters.. I fully think they expect to be ignored as per usual.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The best part in all this is....

"Just you wait until we get our rocket ready"

"We're gonna do it, just you watch"

Do they really think we are that stupid????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA.

"Say, what you doing there N Korea?"............Getting your rocket ready to kill us all?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Sorry I'd missed your post here before...

I tend to take Kim seriously as unstable and unpredictable. The few who are outside North Korea to have personally met him...before he came to the spotlight, handlers and projecting image all the time (like every leader, everywhere) described him as vicious and dangerous.

Look where he grew up and who his Father was. How does a kid like that turn out? I love to think he's 100% sane and would never do a thing so militarily foolish, but look at some of the things to have started over the last decades? Or history in general... Some seemingly bright people have made incredibly ignorant miscalculations or overplayed themselves right into the afterlife. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.... Too much tension in the world right now.

It's entirely possible he believes his dad wasn't just spewing rhetoric... but then his dad grew up in the SAME situation and you see what he did.. same thing.. he made idle threats, he constantly gave vast military parades to showcase their might.. he invented legends about himself and unicorns .. among other absurdities.. the Kim family seems to like to revel in fame and mystique among their people to keep them in power.. and isolating it's population from the outside "realities" keeps those illusions in effect..

I don't think Kim Jr. has these delusions, I think he's following in the footsteps of his family .. detonating some nukes below ground so his population can feel it .. threatening the big bad west on national television so they can all see it .. it's all part of what keeps them in power.. the people of N. Korea will never revolt if they think Kim is so strong he's shaking his fist at the west... it's all propaganda and I still firmly believe it .. it's a patten there and it has been for now three generations! .. if anyone is in danger, it's the south.. and even then I'm not so sure the north would risk it in reality... the north would have it's people think that it's threats and show of power are keeping the west at bay ... all an illusion
edit on 3/7/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
If things are at the breaking point in NK then it may be a case of nothing left to lose. The people are starving so they may have to go to war just to get food. Souel is close to the border so it would not be too hard to drop one of NK's crappy nukes on it. Then it just snowballs from there.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magister
If things are at the breaking point in NK then it may be a case of nothing left to lose. The people are starving so they may have to go to war just to get food. Souel is close to the border so it would not be too hard to drop one of NK's crappy nukes on it. Then it just snowballs from there.

That is a real risk .. and the most likely one I see... if Kim can't keep the population happy, which he can't do if they are starving...he might be able to rally much of the population to attack the south.. that is the most plausible scenario I could imagine.. either way this would mark the end of things in the Korean peninsula as we know it..

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I think dear ol dad has backed son into a corner, too many years of bluffing has left son no chips on the table, he will have to act, he can't bluff and save face...I have a bad feeling it is the real deal this time. And I have a hunch we will all know in the next 72 hours give or take a bit..

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
I think dear ol dad has backed son into a corner, too many years of bluffing has left son no chips on the table, he will have to act, he can't bluff and save face...I have a bad feeling it is the real deal this time. And I have a hunch we will all know in the next 72 hours give or take a bit..

This how see it as well. lil kim might as well cut it off now, if he
doesn't mount the horse.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I think a lot of people don't understand the implications of tip toeing through the minefield. North Korea may have millions of men (supposedly/allegedly) but it has nothing else. Well, nothing note worthy anyway.

NO ONE is ever going to make it across the border....fact.

Air force - gone in about 30 minutes flat.

Tanks, completely useless unless over the border......which will NEVER happen.

Rockets - Patriot type defense will make short shrift of these.

Navy - We have a big surprise in store for them should they float anywhere near our radars.

So, what does that leave them? A whole load of delusional people stuck in one place, I think it would be easy.......too easy. THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I don't think they can be stopped from crossing the border if the decide to, the military in the North is just that much stronger than the south...but that tide would turn rapidly
[url=http://csmonitor.com/World/Latest-News-Wires/2012/0104/North-Korea-military-has-an-edge-over-South-but-wouldn-t-win-a-war-study-finds]Source[/url ]
Even the south thinks that way

edit on 7-3-2013 by okiecowboy because: Link malfunction

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This announcement in itself is just more hot air. It doesn't actually MEAN anything. However, it does make the chances of a flash-point or skirmish escalating out of control a lot more likely. That has always been the risk here, and that risk is increasing all the time.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
US Fires Back at N. Korea Nuke Threat

www.huffingtonpost.com...

And from breakingnews.com

North Korea military threats after UN sanctions
South Korean Defense spokesman: "If DPRK attacks with nuclear weapons, the Kim Jong Un regime will become extinct' - @W7VOA
21 mins ago by editor

edit on 7-3-2013 by BlackPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
One thing I can see happening more than anything is that China is going to step in militarily. It would be somewhat of a win-win situation, as in China will prevent a western foothold in NK if the SHTF. Also, the U.S. military has the most experience with modern combat and logistics in the world. The U.S. has been in combat for more than a decade, and every day of combat is added experience.

With China going into NK, they will be able to test out their more modern assets that have not been used at all and gain experience from it. So maybe, it might be a great interest for China to intervene if NK goes into beast mode.

Just my two cents.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

I agree!
I just don't see china standing by and watching N. Korea get beat down

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Problem is, kim jong il was there all along, his posturing, his foot stomping, his dummy spitting.

Now kim jong un is in there. I don't think we should expect the same behaviour. First time this happens and he might just be arrogant and eager enough to say Okey Dokey, take this! and show that he's not just huff and puff.

He may still be his fathers shadow, or he may be the petulant spoilt brat that inflicts a dummy spit that his father never dared.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by wdkirk
I still think it is posturing by NK.

If you were going to do something you would not telegraph it like this. You would just do it.

This.

NK is just trying anything to ease sanctions.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I am not much of a poker player. The second he voided the non-aggression pact, if I were NATO and I had China and Russia on board, I would have lauch airstrikes immediately to take out his known missile sight, SAM sights, artillery and then attack his military industrial complex. In 24 hours, NK would cease to be a problem for the World and Korea would be a unified country again.

Go big or stay at home.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join