It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmate awarded $15.5 million for spending 22 months in solitary confinement

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

That and how many people got fired because of it. There may even be criminal grounds to process some of those involved and responsible...

edit on 9-3-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper
reply to post by jdub297

You sound more like an inmate than anything else. I think you're closer to a jailhouse lawyer than an attorney.
Your bitterness is too obvious.
I would love to be as ugly to you as you've been to me and mine, but that isn't my way.

Sadly, you complain, but offer no rebuttal. It is undeniable that the lowest level of "criminal justice" is in the volunteer "auxiliary" officers and jail guards. Basic qualifications are about the same as for the custodial employees of the same facilities; in fact, many move from one to the other based upon seniority. Therein lies the problem.

If I sound bitter, it is because of posters who presume guilt without evidence or trial; who conclude that everyone in custody deserves to be there and to be treated like some lower form of life. Just look at the others who've called this man a drunk, or equated him with killers; even though the facts are 100% otherwise. Some of these present themselves as members of law enforcement. They are a threat to society.

I am all about "just desserts" and derived great satisfaction from the convictions I obtained. However, I recognized the limitations and intricacies of "justice," and never feared exercise of "prosecutorial discretion."

As a "Special Crimes" prosecutor, I had access from the inside-out to local jails. Guards who acted like humans and treated the inmates as humans were easily recognized, and were uniformly treated like crap by the "corrections officers" who viewed themselves as "the law."

Inmates, whether pre-trial or convicted, knew the jailers who respected their humanity. This bred contempt among the G.E.D. goons whose badge and Mace were their only comfort. Even the worst of prisoners respected the staff who respected them, despite their personal defects. The guards who presume all inmates to be the same and to be equally "guilty," regardless of their status, are ignorant of fact and law, and happy to be so.

It doesn't take much to acknowledge that a corrections officer's primary obligation is to the community and the law; both of which include those under their care and oversight. The worst case of inmate unrest I've ever experienced was the result of bad attitude and overbearing by the officers involved. The worst case of security breach I've ever experienced was the result of an officer's inability to manage a tear-gas canister - he caused the evacuation of the entire facility because he was "playing" with his most-lethal "weapon" and panicked when he set it off by mistake.

If you find the truth to be "ugly," it is well-deserved and should be cause for reflection and insight.
I was proud to work for the State and "justice," but too frequently saw that my best efforts were undone by incompetence at the basic levels.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Ask me a question about how we do things. I'll answer it as long as it doesn't interfere with security.

"As long as it doesn't interfere with security."
THAT is the self-important, exaggerated sense of power that betrays the guard who feels inadequate with the authority given. There is nothing about the operation of a jail or detention facility that cannot be described without jeopardizing "security."

What a joke!

An inmate is delivered. The inmate is sequestered, identified, searched, inventoried, showered and de-loused; and placed into inmate clothing. If sober, the inmate is placed in General Population. If injured or intoxicated, the inmate is segregated until stabilized/sober.

There is no secret to basic operations, and certainly nothing that would "interfere with security" if revealed. I've seen this attitude so many times,it is frightening; such guards as keep this ideation are the most likely to preserve "security" at the expense of civil rights and transparency.

"I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you." Sound familiar?
Pathetic.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I am being judged based on what I do rather than who I am. What does that say about you?

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Actually it would have been nice included in the opening post you made due to I was in a hurry and that was what I thought at the time. So yes spoon feed me with stuff involved in a post if you think it so important to start a thread.

And thanks for the info you got your self so upset over providing. Just for the trouble I grant you a star sorry fresh out of chill pills.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I am being judged based on what I do rather than who I am. What does that say about you?

You are judged based on what you said:

Before you feel all bad for Monsieur Convict know that they intentionally do things to themselves to exacerbate their conditions. He had a plan and stuck to it and benefited from it financially.

(I'm not even going to point out the self-revelation of your pseudonym: "Creep Thumper." Your choice says all we need to know about how you see yourself. Do your "clients" know this from your words, or your actions?)

This reveals more than any speculation about "who I am." Your inability to recognize this simple fact speaks volumes on its own.

You are so full of yourself it is sad. I have several family members serving in various law enforcement roles. Some of my closest friends are Judges and County officals, legislators, State Troopers, deputy sheriffs, police officers and corrections officials. None of them would tolerate attitudes and behavior diminishing basic rights and fair treatment.

What, please advise, was "Monsieur Convict" convicted of (according to the thread and link)?

He "stuck to" his plan for 22 months? In isolation? When did he come up with this plan; upon arrest, after a week, 6 months, a year?

His family and attorney filed suit for him, a FEDERAL judge allowd the suit to proceed, a FEDERAL jury granted him judgment 5 years after the fact, and you're pissed because "he benefitted from it financially?"

As someone who so proudly represents "the law" and "justice," what part of the man's claim did you not understand or agree with? That he demanded legal remedies for unlawful violation of his rights? That he defied idiots in authority? That the N. M. criminal Justice system and county corrections were shown to be ignorant, indifferent to civil rights, totally lacking in common sense, and worse?

Inmates, especially in segregation, routinely self-harm by refusing medical and dental care and by neglecting their hygiene.

Please show us where in the thread and link there is any evidence that this is true of this man! Your generalization, and facile move from unsupported anecdote (and false general accusations) to this specific case reveals your prejudice and inappropriate stereotyping -- precisely the attitude and actions that resulted in this miscarriage of "justice."

You should know that any inmate suspected of "self-harm" should be given immediate attention and either treated for her psychosis, or subject to disciplinary hearing/action. (I suppose 22 months is your idea of immediate attention.)

Their goal is financial compensation, time outside of their cell and trips to the hospital, which is their way of taking a vacation from the consequences of their actions (jail/prison).

If this over-simplified generalization was anywhere close to the truth, then our jails would be empty, hospitals full, and prisoners walking out with bags of cash. This is so utterly false, it is laughable.
And, for pre-trial detainess, why should "time outside of their cells" be considered a bad thing?

There should be no room in our criminal justice system for people so are so indifferent to basic human and legal rights as to mock them, and falsely denigrate those who are rewarded for proving such cavaler attitudes and indecent behavior.
edit on 11-3-2013 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Before you feel all bad for Monsieur Convict know that they intentionally do things to themselves to exacerbate their conditions. He had a plan and stuck to it and benefited from it financially.

"The world is full of fools and faint hearts; and yet everyone has courage enough to bear the misfortunes, and wisdom enough to manage the affairs, of his neighbor." ~Benjamin Franklin

Managing the affairs of other people, is the defining principle...of the unprincipled. Or, as they are better known..."Creep Thumpers.".

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by pacifier2012

you pusstard...

I would like to see you go solitary 22 months. That is the jail's jail. You don't get nothin. This guy didn't even have hygiene. Obviously he didn't have phone access or visits. And no medical attention?? Seriously, did someone drop you on your head??

Whimp...I would like to see you do some time with your peers.

Completely agree. They drove him to...complete hopelessness & humiliation off the bat. After that, all I hope is that he wasn't in the "intermediate transfer cells" (or whatever their official name is) for that time, No shower, 8 inch high X 3 feet deep bench either side,, 30" wall in front of the toilet/sink combo, bars, & a door that can be shut beyond that w/ a slit for a window. AND, you have to provide bedding, toothbrush, etc. if you want it, they don't supp;y them there.
Yes, I live in Dona Ana County & didn't pay a traffic ticket, so I've seen the inside of the DACC. Made bail as soon as booking was done, and still spent 15 hrs in that cell.
That was bad enough, I cannot imagine a 22 month stay, without hope of getting out.
I hope that since its my taxes funding his millions, he does overcome the inevitable issues.
I bet he never pulls over for the red 'n blues flashing again, though.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join